Georgetown

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
netsfan05

Georgetown

Postby netsfan05 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:08 am

Im interested in attending Georgetown Law but somewhat confused with their admissions process. Do they only accept students from top ranked undergraduate universities? I attend a small state school in New Jersey called William Paterson University, have a decent gpa (3.7) and hopefully score around the upper 160's and low 170's by the time the test comes around. Say I do score a 171, should I expect to be denied because of my undergraduate ranking?

HyeMart

Re: Georgetown

Postby HyeMart » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:21 am

no

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:24 am

No. Undergraduate prestige does not matter.

If 3.7 is your LSAC GPA, it is slightly above their median. If you get an LSAT score of 170 or higher you stand a very good chance of getting in.

oaken

Postby oaken » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:29 am

netsfan05 wrote:Im interested in attending Georgetown Law but somewhat confused with their admissions process. Do they only accept students from top ranked undergraduate universities? I attend a small state school in New Jersey called William Paterson University, have a decent gpa (3.7) and hopefully score around the upper 160's and low 170's by the time the test comes around. Say I do score a 171, should I expect to be denied because of my undergraduate ranking?

Can I ask - what makes you think this?

hotdogseller

Postby hotdogseller » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:29 am

Last edited by hotdogseller on Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:56 am

hotdogseller wrote:@oaken

Assuming your response is out of incredulity, I really don't think this is an unfair question for someone who hasn't done much research about law school admissions to ask. Undergrad prestige plays a significant factor in so many things its really an understandable question, and, in my opinion, it should be more of a factor to some extent (for example people coming from UChicago with a 3.7 shouldn't be at such a disadvantage when compared to someone from say Alabama with a 3.9).

Lawl I wish. We should have all done our Enviromental Horticultural Science majors and taken our 4.0s to the bank. We failed. w/e

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:44 am

Assuming your response is out of incredulity, I really don't think this is an unfair question for someone who hasn't done much research about law school admissions to ask. Undergrad prestige plays a significant factor in so many things its really an understandable question, and, in my opinion, it should be more of a factor to some extent (for example people coming from UChicago with a 3.7 shouldn't be at such a disadvantage when compared to someone from say Alabama with a 3.9).

I think the reason it isn't is because its so hard to judge because there is NO prerequisites other than any bachelors

What's easier, basket weaving at UChi or a double major of Biology / Chemistry in 3 and a half years at Alabama? Most degrees past UG require at least some classes, LS require nothing. I think that is why they use the LSAT to judge the intelligence of everyone

oaken

Postby oaken » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:44 am

Not incredulity, sorry if it came across this way. I was just curious if there was something specific about GULC - some wording on their application or something - that led OP to think this.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:41 am

ThreeRivers wrote:
hotdogseller wrote: What's easier, basket weaving at UChi or a double major of Biology / Chemistry in 3 and a half years at Alabama?

Basket weaving at UChi

Hopefully2012

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:36 am

tennisking88 wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:
hotdogseller wrote: What's easier, basket weaving at UChi or a double major of Biology / Chemistry in 3 and a half years at Alabama?

Basket weaving at UChi

I could see UChi producing some high quality baskets.

OP, there has been some anecdotal evidence from semi-anonymous TLS posters who went to T5 schools that their school has data to show that students getting into t14s from those T5 UGs have a slightly lower GPA/LSAT median than the general population. I've also heard friends at CalTech say the same (although this could an attempt to justify to themselves why they spent the last four years doing the same amount of work as typical 1Ls).

So undergrad prestige at the VERY top may help marginally but I think general TLS consensus is Top 5 undergrad may help a little when compared to someone with the same numbers but any school from ~10 to slightly above DeVry type technical schools are treated pretty much the same in the law school admissions process.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”