Retaking the LSAT to get off waitlist?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jediknight2424

Retaking the LSAT to get off waitlist?

Postby jediknight2424 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:25 pm

I heard that people actually do this. Just curious-- how strongly does this help your case? It seems like a lot of effort for minimal payoff, but I just wanted to be sure.

crumpetsandtea

Re: Retaking the LSAT to get off waitlist?

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:30 pm

lolwat? It depends on how much you improve, what school you're WL-ed at, and what your GPA looks like, obviously.

Anecdotally, I've had a friend improve 3 points and get off the WL at Michigan with a half scholly. I'd say it was well worth whatever effort they put in to retake. I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T try and retake if they really wanted to go to a school and were on the WL. At worst, you do the same/worse and it doesn't help you, but at best you do better and get into a great school.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:36 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:lolwat? It depends on how much you improve, what school you're WL-ed at, and what your GPA looks like, obviously.

Anecdotally, I've had a friend improve 3 points and get off the WL at Michigan with a half scholly. I'd say it was well worth whatever effort they put in to retake. I don't see why anyone WOULDN'T try and retake if they really wanted to go to a school and were on the WL. At worst, you do the same/worse and it doesn't help you, but at best you do better and get into a great school.

Fo show. I got a 170 and Im retaking in June as I am anticipating some WLs in the top 6 region. It's a win-win in most cases. Hopefully you will have a few acceptances under your belt so the pressure might be a little bit less too. But knowing the LSAT Im sure it's still stressful as balls to study for

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:28 am

I did this with June LSAT and it did not work for the 4 waitlists I was on despite 9 point increase - June is just extremely late in the cycle and they have few openings at that point. At obsessively numbers-focused schools, or with the Feb LSAT, it might work.

There is no downside. If you bomb it, you are no worse off. If you kick ass, you might get in, and you might decide to reapply the next cycle.

BiglawOrBust

Postby BiglawOrBust » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am

yuzu wrote:There is no downside. .

The registration fee ain't chump change to the college student with no money and no LSAC fee waiver.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 am

Agreed. You should only retake if you didn't score at the top of your preptest score range or you have taken a preptest since the and scored higher.

Lemon Lyman

Postby Lemon Lyman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:03 pm

I'm anticipating a WL from HYS. Is it even possible to get off a T-3 WL in June just months before classes start?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Lemon Lyman wrote:I'm anticipating a WL from HYS. Is it even possible to get off a T-3 WL in June just months before classes start?

It's funny you bumped this I am watching the West Wing right now actually, so I love your tar. I think it's definitely possible. Here is an LSN example. I am in your exact same boat.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/OHick

Simon Pug

Postby Simon Pug » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:54 pm

Mal Reynolds, if no one has completed you yet on your tar/username, let me please!

Oh and anyone who would go through the pain to retake and score higher on the LSAT to get off a waitlist should get admissions preference, if I ran the world/had my own law school...

lawhaus

Postby lawhaus » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:lolwat? It depends on how much you improve, what school you're WL-ed at, and what your GPA looks like, obviously.

Fo show. I got a 170 and Im retaking in June as I am anticipating some WLs in the top 6 region. It's a win-win in most cases. Hopefully you will have a few acceptances under your belt so the pressure might be a little bit less too. But knowing the LSAT Im sure it's still stressful as balls to study for

I did this with June LSAT and it did not work for the 4 waitlists I was on despite 9 point increase - June is just extremely late in the cycle and they have few openings at that point. At obsessively numbers-focused schools, or with the Feb LSAT, it might work.

There is no downside. If you bomb it, you are no worse off. If you kick ass, you might get in, and you might decide to reapply the next cycle.

say that I get Waitlisted at HLS/CLS (or Penn) and decide to retake the June LSAT. Is this a plausible way to impress adcomm? My GPA is on an upward trend, but my current LSAT score is well below their median.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”