This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:16 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
paratactical wrote:1) I assume that you would, however, like A job that would actually pay you money.


I pay my employees in gum. They seem happy.


No one ever pays me in gum :(

User avatar
citykitty
Posts: 465
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby citykitty » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:21 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:
paratactical wrote:1) I assume that you would, however, like A job that would actually pay you money.


I pay my employees in gum. They seem happy.


No one ever pays me in gum :(


I don't remember the last time I had gum. It's probably been years.

User avatar
kapital98
Posts: 1188
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby kapital98 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:Kapital I sincerely wish you nothing but the worst in life.


I wish for nothing but the best in your life. Sure, you're arguments are short-sighted, backed by incorrect non-academic sources, and the epitome of TLS groupthink BUT you're still a person with feelings.

Happy Thanksgiving!

User avatar
biglaw$
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby biglaw$ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:43 pm

jcm043 wrote:Everyone here seeking advice is told if it is not a T1 or they are trying to get into Law School with a lower GPA and ya'll tell them to Law School is not for them. I hope some of ya'll do realize not everyone wants a big NYC or London firm job. I would bet behind your apple mac book pro laptop, the majority of the ones providing answers couldn't carry an interpersonal conversation in real life if your life depended on it. Give some people some hope around here. Yes this is my rant and I don't care.

:twisted:


The name of the site is top-law-schools.com

That is why you get a majority of the responses you hear.

Retake, ED UVA.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Bronte » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:59 pm

IAFG wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:
TL/DR: Bad numbers ppl generally bring down the profession. That's why TLS ppl are pissy. You should do something like get good grades or do well on a high-pressure test to show you deserve to be a lawyer.

What on earth are you talking about? A U. DC grad doesn't impact me any more than a chiropractor hurts my dad's surgery practice. It's nothing to get pissy about.

If I tell someone not to go to law school, it's because I think if they do, their life will suck more than if they didn't.


Yeah I don't know where this came from. Saying, approvingly, that TLSers discourage people from going to low ranked law schools because we don't want these TTTers in our profession only feeds into the idea that it's all a bunch of elitist nonsense. The reason TLS tells people not to go to low ranked law schools is because the job prospects at those schools are awful.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby ResolutePear » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:10 pm

OP: Don't listen to these people.

If law school was a bad profession to get into, Cooley wouldn't have opened a new law school in Florida last year.

User avatar
biglaw$
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby biglaw$ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:28 pm

You should, almost always, only go to law school ITE if: (1) you go to a t14; (2) you have a free ride; or (3) you have a guaranteed job upon graduation that pays more than peanuts.

Heed this advice OP.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 pm

biglaw$ wrote:You should, almost always, only go to law school ITE if: (1) you go to a t14; (2) you have a free ride; or (3) you have a guaranteed job upon graduation that pays more than peanuts.

Heed this advice OP.

Please provide references to peer reviewed journals or the 0L kapital will call you out.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Bronte » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:44 pm

kapital98 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Kapital I sincerely wish you nothing but the worst in life.


I wish for nothing but the best in your life. Sure, you're arguments are short-sighted, backed by incorrect non-academic sources, and the epitome of TLS groupthink BUT you're still a person with feelings.

Happy Thanksgiving!


Only 67% of the class of 2010 got JD required jobs. http://www.nalp.org/uploads/Classof2010 ... ndings.pdf. Law school is not a good investment for most students. http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... 497044.pdf.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby vpintz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

ResolutePear wrote:OP: Don't listen to these people.

If law school was a bad profession to get into, Cooley wouldn't have opened a new law school in Florida last year.


well played.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:You dipshits are ruining my Thanksgiving with your unbridled optimism (also known as "being a retard").

If by "reaching greatness with a JD" you mean shoveling shit for a living, then your TTT degree will put you well in your way. Hey, the world needs ditch diggers.

Romo, this thread is an old school TLS miracle.

Also, veiled Patton and Caddyshack references?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:02 pm

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You dipshits are ruining my Thanksgiving with your unbridled optimism (also known as "being a retard").

If by "reaching greatness with a JD" you mean shoveling shit for a living, then your TTT degree will put you well in your way. Hey, the world needs ditch diggers.

Romo, this thread is an old school TLS miracle.

Also, veiled Patton and Caddyshack references?

*Tips cap*

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:04 pm

45,000 grads, less than 30,000 jobs (not all of which have benefit or are full time). The 30,000 is prerecession. Enjoy.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Grizz wrote:45,000 grads, less than 30,000 jobs (not all of which have benefit or are full time). The 30,000 is prerecession. Enjoy.

Your point is shortsighted, based on non-academic inaccurate sources, and the epitome of TLS groupthink.

But have a good Turkey Day brah.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:15 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Grizz wrote:45,000 grads, less than 30,000 jobs (not all of which have benefit or are full time). The 30,000 is prerecession. Enjoy.

Your point is shortsighted, based on non-academic inaccurate sources, and the epitome of TLS groupthink.

But have a good Turkey Day brah.

As a blatant elitist, I consider it proper noblesse oblige to wish you a "happy turkey day" as well.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Samara » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:56 pm

This thread delivered. I like that the douchiest, bitterest posters in this thread were the people in OP's situation, not the people the OP was railing against.

I'm a splitter too, OP, and it sucks that my GPA is stuck where it is and is unrepresentative of my current ability and work ethic. (Though it is representative of my UG work ethic.) But what else are law schools supposed to look at to judge candidates? I'm sorry, but having a Fortune 100 job or an LOR from your Congressperson just isn't that special. It's better than nothing, but softs of that caliber are pretty commonplace. So, you gotta suck it up and kill the LSAT.

What I don't understand OP (and for other people like OP) is why you are so dead set on having a JD. There are many ways to have a successful career and contribute to your community. Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:25 pm

T1? More like HYS

User avatar
biglaw$
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby biglaw$ » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:57 pm

Samara wrote:Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?


Because OP can't think of anything else better to do. Lawyers are really cool on TV, and they make $$$ right??? lulz

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Gail » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:10 am

Tom Joad wrote:I have some kind of Acer laptop that was like $300. Works like a charm though.


Nice.

I went with the Asus. I'm enjoying it immensely. The keys light up yo, they light up!!!!

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:14 am

Samara wrote:This thread delivered. I like that the douchiest, bitterest posters in this thread were the people in OP's situation, not the people the OP was railing against.

I'm a splitter too, OP, and it sucks that my GPA is stuck where it is and is unrepresentative of my current ability and work ethic. (Though it is representative of my UG work ethic.) But what else are law schools supposed to look at to judge candidates? I'm sorry, but having a Fortune 100 job or an LOR from your Congressperson just isn't that special. It's better than nothing, but softs of that caliber are pretty commonplace. So, you gotta suck it up and kill the LSAT.

What I don't understand OP (and for other people like OP) is why you are so dead set on having a JD. There are many ways to have a successful career and contribute to your community. Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?


Because everyone knows law is prestigious. I'm sooo glad I'm dropping $$$$ so I can tell my friends and family how smart I am because I'm going to Cooley.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:21 am

120

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Gail » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:22 am

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
Samara wrote:This thread delivered. I like that the douchiest, bitterest posters in this thread were the people in OP's situation, not the people the OP was railing against.

I'm a splitter too, OP, and it sucks that my GPA is stuck where it is and is unrepresentative of my current ability and work ethic. (Though it is representative of my UG work ethic.) But what else are law schools supposed to look at to judge candidates? I'm sorry, but having a Fortune 100 job or an LOR from your Congressperson just isn't that special. It's better than nothing, but softs of that caliber are pretty commonplace. So, you gotta suck it up and kill the LSAT.

What I don't understand OP (and for other people like OP) is why you are so dead set on having a JD. There are many ways to have a successful career and contribute to your community. Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?


Because everyone knows law is prestigious. I'm sooo glad I'm dropping $$$$ so I can tell my friends and family how smart I am because I'm going to Cooley.



TBF, Not top law school =/= Cooley.

User avatar
Gettingstarted1928
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:28 am

Gail wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
Samara wrote:This thread delivered. I like that the douchiest, bitterest posters in this thread were the people in OP's situation, not the people the OP was railing against.

I'm a splitter too, OP, and it sucks that my GPA is stuck where it is and is unrepresentative of my current ability and work ethic. (Though it is representative of my UG work ethic.) But what else are law schools supposed to look at to judge candidates? I'm sorry, but having a Fortune 100 job or an LOR from your Congressperson just isn't that special. It's better than nothing, but softs of that caliber are pretty commonplace. So, you gotta suck it up and kill the LSAT.

What I don't understand OP (and for other people like OP) is why you are so dead set on having a JD. There are many ways to have a successful career and contribute to your community. Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?


Because everyone knows law is prestigious. I'm sooo glad I'm dropping $$$$ so I can tell my friends and family how smart I am because I'm going to Cooley.



TBF, Not top law school =/= Cooley.



Yeah, I know. I'm just being sarcastic. I'm really trying to point out (not necessarily directed at OP) is that a lot of people are dead set on becoming attorneys, because the profession is perceived as highly prestigious by the public. I mean how many times do you hear people talking about their kids becoming doctors or lawyers.

Public's perception = You can never go wrong by becoming a lawyer.

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:32 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:I agree that some of these posters on here put too much emphasis on the reputation of the school and the degree itself. I don't know what will happen to them when they realize life doesn't always work out the way you want it to, and that someone is always better/smarter/richer. I'm not sure how they'll feel when they see people that didn't go to Top 14 law schools are practicing law and making money, even if employment prospects aren't great at the moment. They may be upset to find out that average person doesn't really care where you went to school.


While TLS is known to give into hyperbole, it is spot on with the notion that many people going to law schools are not making a wise decision. Chalk it up to the entitlement of our generation, societal pressures, misrepresentation by law schools, whatever. But that's the sad truth. And people keep equating generalizations with specifics. Obviously no one knows everything about you (or any certain poster)...so without that knowledge, you can only generalize.

I think you'll be more surprised to find out that, in the LEGAL hiring profession, in this generation, reputation and the degree itself matter quite a bit. No one on here is saying there won't be someone better/smarter/richer, or even that someone going to a TTT won't be better/smarter/richer...just that the odds are definitely stacked against them. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept for so many to understand. There are always exceptions, but telling someone that going to a law school that accepts a 2.5 GPA/150 LSAT for $150k (this assumes he isn't independently wealthy or gets a full ride) is like telling someone to go to Vegas and put $150k down on the number 12. Is that a wise decision? Sound financial advice? If you answer yes, then damn you got other issues. If you answer no, then I don't see why we can't be on the same page with TTT law schools. <-- I am not even talking about a biglaw corporate job...I mean almost any legal job. Yes, you can go to a TTT and pass the bar and hang out your own shingle (if that is what you want to do)...realize that is a SUPER uphill battle to succeed and probably not worth $150k...and you'd be in the exception.

note: the average person probably isn't the one hiring you btw


I missed the part about 2.5/150. I wouldn't ever advise anyone to go to a TTT school knowing the employment prospects and cost. The problem I see with some people on this board is that they wouldn't advise anyone to go into law that can't make T14. They'll talk smack on WUSTL like it's a stamp of failure. Frankly, a lot of this talk comes across as cynical, elitist, and sometimes rude. I've learned, however, that life is full of well-educated, hardworking, competitive cynics that think other people have no shot, and they'll sanctimoniously let you know, out of their apparent concern for your best interest, that you should think about applying to Burger King instead (or give up on yourself in some other capacity).

I'm not going to tell people with 2.5/150s that Cooley is a good choice, but I'd definitely tell them that if law something they're convinced they're cut out for, and if they're willing to put in the time/effort, they should retake that LSAT and get into a better school. I also believe that perhaps some of these people who can't find legal work don't really like what they're doing, aren't offering anything special, or just aren't looking hard enough. For the record, I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with most of it.

OP: If you truly believe law school is the right choice for you, retake the LSAT, get a great score, and go to a great school. Don't go to any TTT schools as they will likely make job hunting difficult.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Early Sloof Lirpa

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:33 am

Gail wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
Samara wrote:This thread delivered. I like that the douchiest, bitterest posters in this thread were the people in OP's situation, not the people the OP was railing against.

I'm a splitter too, OP, and it sucks that my GPA is stuck where it is and is unrepresentative of my current ability and work ethic. (Though it is representative of my UG work ethic.) But what else are law schools supposed to look at to judge candidates? I'm sorry, but having a Fortune 100 job or an LOR from your Congressperson just isn't that special. It's better than nothing, but softs of that caliber are pretty commonplace. So, you gotta suck it up and kill the LSAT.

What I don't understand OP (and for other people like OP) is why you are so dead set on having a JD. There are many ways to have a successful career and contribute to your community. Why are you looking at this as a JD or nothing situation?


Because everyone knows law is prestigious. I'm sooo glad I'm dropping $$$$ so I can tell my friends and family how smart I am because I'm going to Cooley.



TBF, Not top law school =/= Cooley.


So my question is...

How often does school name come up in conversation.

Not many, I think!

I say, full ride to Cooley is >>>> pay for a T1.

True story.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PRinNYC and 5 guests