This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FryBreadPower

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:45 pm

jcm043 wrote:I look forward to to showing you that I will get into a good law school.

Lulz.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:53 pm

The thing is, a 2.5 isn't debilitating if you score 165+ for getting into the T30-T50.

Retake.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:59 pm

OP: maybe you should look at law school from a cost- benefit analysis. If you can go to a lower ranked school in a place you want to live for free- maybe that is a good call for you personally. The issue with ALL law schools is that they are insanely expensive. So you have to ask- is this law school going to get me into a career where I can pay my loans and afford to live. ( I just spoke to a friend who has a good job but still moved back in with his parents so he can pay his loans.) The top schools are better at getting people jobs.

I know that sounds like elitism and sometimes it is - there are people who post here who will brag about their success and put everyone else down. But that is not the main message here. And the truth is that schools lie about placement statistics. You can not believe what schools say, even top schools game the system by creating temporary jobs for recent grads so those grads can count as employed.

I think that if you do decide to go to law school, you have to look at what employment you will be able to find. It is hard to hear that the legal market is so tough, but that is the harsh reality. Just don't put yourself in a position where you can't pay back whatever you borrow and don't assume that jobs are easy to find.

dood

Postby dood » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

kill urself

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:07 pm

OP,
I was contemplating of starting a post that parallels your comment. However, this is a great forum to speak to those who are pushing for the best. Yes, some here may jumping to conclusions that if you do not reach the eschelons of Tier 1, then you should rethink law school, but if law school is what you want then pursue.

1) I am struggling with the LSAT in a way you personally may not be. My recorded LSAC score is so low for my past 3 tries, I just want to cry.

2) My GPA is low

3) I will have a lot to explain about my undergraduate "experiences" via several addendums to my applications.

BRIGHT LIGHT!
1) I defied so many odds in that I that I finished my undergrad at one of the most expensive and best schools in my area, CASH, while working full time.

2) I have two professors who have agreed to write LORs and have always been very supportive.

3) I have a strong work history and feel this will be a strong asset to my app.

I can continue, but I think you catch my drift. Only you know what is best for you. Listen to your heart and your brain. If the path to your greatness is with a JD, then do the necessary planning to bring your success.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:OP,
I was contemplating of starting a post that parallels your comment. However, this is a great forum to speak to those who are pushing for the best. Yes, some here may jumping to conclusions that if you do not reach the eschelons of Tier 1, then you should rethink law school, but if law school is what you want then pursue.

1) I am struggling with the LSAT in a way you personally may not be. My recorded LSAC score is so low for my past 3 tries, I just want to cry.

2) My GPA is low

3) I will have a lot to explain about my undergraduate "experiences" via several addendums to my applications.

BRIGHT LIGHT!
1) I defied so many odds in that I that I finished my undergrad at one of the most expensive and best schools in my area, CASH, while working full time.

2) I have two professors who have agreed to write LORs and have always been very supportive.

I can continue, but I think you catch my drift. Only you know what is best for you. Listen to your heart and your brain. If the path to your greatness is with a JD, then do the necessary planning to bring your success.

What does this even mean?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 pm

2) My GPA is low

BRIGHT LIGHT!

don't go to law school

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:21 pm

2) My GPA is low

BRIGHT LIGHT!

I think I don't like you.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:24 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:

2) My GPA is low

BRIGHT LIGHT!

legacy is born 50 years too late. sounds like a classic shitboomer. follow your heart do whatever you want it will work out. puke.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:26 pm

2) My GPA is low

BRIGHT LIGHT!

Also, how could anyone possibly know this?

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:36 pm

FryBreadPower wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote: If the path to your greatness is with a JD,

Hippie parents.

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:08 pm

I agree that some of these posters on here put too much emphasis on the reputation of the school and the degree itself. I don't know what will happen to them when they realize life doesn't always work out the way you want it to, and that someone is always better/smarter/richer. I'm not sure how they'll feel when they see people that didn't go to Top 14 law schools are practicing law and making money, even if employment prospects aren't great at the moment. They may be upset to find out that average person doesn't really care where you went to school.

However, I do feel that reading this forum has helped me raise my own personal standards. The "aim high" mentality rubs off on you, kind of like hanging around people with big dreams in real life. Don't let the bad people drag you down or dissuade you, but set those sights as high as you can.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:10 pm

OP, despite all his mistaken beliefs has 1 semi-true point

Yes, all of the internet toughness / open insults of everyone on this forum wouldn't happen in real life, but tbh they are still very true. It can be tough to try to explain to someone IRL who is bragging about going to Cooley how screwed they really are. I doubt the majority of people on here would call them a waste of life and that they'll be homeless etc, but the honest truth is you'll be in a really shitty position (even if many won't tell you / or don't know this irl).

That being said some of the "LOL NU ITS YALE OR BUST SON" is a little much / I think some of it is done in jest, but the bottom line is ls is a pretty risky proposition and its good to know what you're getting yourself into. Tbh I think T30-T50ish in the right situation (if you KNOW you want to live there and they dominate the area) might not be a bad decision.

I'm not going to tell you to not go to ls if you don't get into HYS, but honestly at a 2.5 150 I REALLY think you'll regret going to ls. Retake or the odds are high you'll be very miserable once you finish your ls experience

I saw you seem interested in working in the New Orleans area / going to Tulane. Work your ass off and get into Tulane would be my advice

Gettingstarted1928

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:27 pm

I didn't want to do this, but I'm going to anyway. http://WWW.JDUNDERGROUND.COM

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:35 pm

paratactical wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

Hippie parents.

My post was directed towards the OP. Whatever or however he feels will maximize his potential is what I was referring to. My comment does not necessitate that is must be a JD. However, if OP feels it will be a JD, more power to him.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:36 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:
paratactical wrote:
FryBreadPower wrote:

Hippie parents.

My post was directed towards the OP. Whatever or however he feels will maximize his potential is what I was referring to. My comment does not necessitate that is must be a JD. However, if OP feels it will be a JD, more power to him.

Your use of the verb "feels" supports my point.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:40 pm

I think this should be pointed out, the OP isn't one of those being told to kill himself because he's going to George Washington or something

HE HAS A 2.5 150

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

He might not even get into an ABA school, Cooley might reject him, etc...

He REALLY needs to retake

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:50 pm

FryBread Power and the rest of you bitter spoiled children can continue dissecting my posts and deterring from the topic at hand. The level of negativity on this forum from time to time is unreal. People with non traditional backgrounds who are attempting to enter law school can come to this forum to receive some good advice. However, they have to separate from the few but loud posters who provide nonsense and useless crap.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 pm

Legacy Rabbit wrote:FryBread Power and the rest of you bitter spoiled children can continue dissecting my posts and deterring from the topic at hand. The level of negativity on this forum from time to time is unreal. People with non traditional backgrounds who are attempting to enter law school can come to this forum to receive some good advice. However, they have to separate from the few but loud posters who provide nonsense and useless crap.

Lol at assuming everyone here is spoiled, but by stating you're a non-traditional / long shot to make it I'd imagine you're stating you're from low-income, a URM, or something similar so we shouldn't be harsh on your dreams. Tbh a lot of the schools that accept 2.5 / 150's are just preying / taking advantage of individuals in those situations

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:02 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:

2) My GPA is low

BRIGHT LIGHT!

You should not like me.
I have done more in my quarter century of living than you ever will. Keep it up with your haterade shit storm.
legacy is born 50 years too late. sounds like a classic shitboomer. follow your heart do whatever you want it will work out. puke.

There is more to life than inseminating your hand controller while you play CALL OF DUTY. Wipe and clean up, then respond.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:10 pm

Edited bc it wasn't obvious I was trolling.
Last edited by emorystud2010 on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:I agree that some of these posters on here put too much emphasis on the reputation of the school and the degree itself. I don't know what will happen to them when they realize life doesn't always work out the way you want it to, and that someone is always better/smarter/richer. I'm not sure how they'll feel when they see people that didn't go to Top 14 law schools are practicing law and making money, even if employment prospects aren't great at the moment. They may be upset to find out that average person doesn't really care where you went to school.

While TLS is known to give into hyperbole, it is spot on with the notion that many people going to law schools are not making a wise decision. Chalk it up to the entitlement of our generation, societal pressures, misrepresentation by law schools, whatever. But that's the sad truth. And people keep equating generalizations with specifics. Obviously no one knows everything about you (or any certain poster)...so without that knowledge, you can only generalize.

I think you'll be more surprised to find out that, in the LEGAL hiring profession, in this generation, reputation and the degree itself matter quite a bit. No one on here is saying there won't be someone better/smarter/richer, or even that someone going to a TTT won't be better/smarter/richer...just that the odds are definitely stacked against them. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept for so many to understand. There are always exceptions, but telling someone that going to a law school that accepts a 2.5 GPA/150 LSAT for $150k (this assumes he isn't independently wealthy or gets a full ride) is like telling someone to go to Vegas and put $150k down on the number 12. Is that a wise decision? Sound financial advice? If you answer yes, then damn you got other issues. If you answer no, then I don't see why we can't be on the same page with TTT law schools. <-- I am not even talking about a biglaw corporate job...I mean almost any legal job. Yes, you can go to a TTT and pass the bar and hang out your own shingle (if that is what you want to do)...realize that is a SUPER uphill battle to succeed and probably not worth $150k...and you'd be in the exception.

note: the average person probably isn't the one hiring you btw

Legacy Rabbit

Postby Legacy Rabbit » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:13 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:
Legacy Rabbit wrote:FryBread Power and the rest of you bitter spoiled children can continue dissecting my posts and deterring from the topic at hand. The level of negativity on this forum from time to time is unreal. People with non traditional backgrounds who are attempting to enter law school can come to this forum to receive some good advice. However, they have to separate from the few but loud posters who provide nonsense and useless crap.

Lol at assuming everyone here is spoiled, but by stating you're a non-traditional / long shot to make it I'd imagine you're stating you're from low-income, a URM, or something similar so we shouldn't be harsh on your dreams. Tbh a lot of the schools that accept 2.5 / 150's are just preying / taking advantage of individuals in those situations

How did you jump from my response "few but loud posters" to assuming that I think/believe that everyone here is spoiled?? Get your facts straight then respond. Plus, why would assume that I am a low income URM because of my original post?? WOW, that is really telling of the way you think and perceive the world.

2.5 GPA and a 150 LSAT --> Jumping to conclusions without any tangible stats of my situation.

I can assume from your post that you have never held a paid full time job in any Fortune 100 company. Your little summer internship opening mail does not count.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:14 pm

emorystud2010 wrote:

Ok, here is the real issue. The reason for most of the pessimism on this forum are because people with low gpas, low lsats, and bad undergraduate "experiences" keep going to law school (and shitty law schools keep churning these people out). A handful of these people will be decent and/or successful lawyers, but most of them will continue to just saturate the market even more. This pisses off the people like me and other TLSers who worked hard to get good grades, do well on the LSAT, and stay out of trouble. Being a lawyer shouldn't be something you just walk into because you think "oh boy, the path to greatness is a JD. I should do that!" It should be something you earned from either one or both of the following: 1) working hard/smart for 4 years as an undergrad; or 2) getting your shit together enough to do well on the lsat to show that you have the ability to at least be somewhat competent in a high-pressure situation.

TL/DR: Bad numbers ppl generally bring down the profession. That's why TLS ppl are pissy. You should do something like get good grades or do well on a high-pressure test to show you deserve to be a lawyer.

This post is misleading. It almost implies that most people from TTTs are even getting legal jobs.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:15 pm

guys, im really enjoying this thread, but please tone it down so it doesnt get locked. I want to see u guys kill each other, but dont do it so quickly as to warrant the authorities getting involved....

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”