This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gettingstarted1928

Re: This Forum has to be the most bitter & suicidal around...

Postby Gettingstarted1928 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:35 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:I agree that some of these posters on here put too much emphasis on the reputation of the school and the degree itself. I don't know what will happen to them when they realize life doesn't always work out the way you want it to, and that someone is always better/smarter/richer. I'm not sure how they'll feel when they see people that didn't go to Top 14 law schools are practicing law and making money, even if employment prospects aren't great at the moment. They may be upset to find out that average person doesn't really care where you went to school.

While TLS is known to give into hyperbole, it is spot on with the notion that many people going to law schools are not making a wise decision. Chalk it up to the entitlement of our generation, societal pressures, misrepresentation by law schools, whatever. But that's the sad truth. And people keep equating generalizations with specifics. Obviously no one knows everything about you (or any certain poster)...so without that knowledge, you can only generalize.

I think you'll be more surprised to find out that, in the LEGAL hiring profession, in this generation, reputation and the degree itself matter quite a bit. No one on here is saying there won't be someone better/smarter/richer, or even that someone going to a TTT won't be better/smarter/richer...just that the odds are definitely stacked against them. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept for so many to understand. There are always exceptions, but telling someone that going to a law school that accepts a 2.5 GPA/150 LSAT for $150k (this assumes he isn't independently wealthy or gets a full ride) is like telling someone to go to Vegas and put $150k down on the number 12. Is that a wise decision? Sound financial advice? If you answer yes, then damn you got other issues. If you answer no, then I don't see why we can't be on the same page with TTT law schools. <-- I am not even talking about a biglaw corporate job...I mean almost any legal job. Yes, you can go to a TTT and pass the bar and hang out your own shingle (if that is what you want to do)...realize that is a SUPER uphill battle to succeed and probably not worth $150k...and you'd be in the exception.

note: the average person probably isn't the one hiring you btw

I missed the part about 2.5/150. I wouldn't ever advise anyone to go to a TTT school knowing the employment prospects and cost. The problem I see with some people on this board is that they wouldn't advise anyone to go into law that can't make T14. They'll talk smack on WUSTL like it's a stamp of failure. Frankly, a lot of this talk comes across as cynical, elitist, and sometimes rude. I've learned, however, that life is full of well-educated, hardworking, competitive cynics that think other people have no shot, and they'll sanctimoniously let you know, out of their apparent concern for your best interest, that you should think about applying to Burger King instead (or give up on yourself in some other capacity).

I'm not going to tell people with 2.5/150s that Cooley is a good choice, but I'd definitely tell them that if law something they're convinced they're cut out for, and if they're willing to put in the time/effort, they should retake that LSAT and get into a better school. I also believe that perhaps some of these people who can't find legal work don't really like what they're doing, aren't offering anything special, or just aren't looking hard enough. For the record, I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with most of it.

OP: If you truly believe law school is the right choice for you, retake the LSAT, get a great score, and go to a great school. Don't go to any TTT schools as they will likely make job hunting difficult.

It's funny because many people at HYS say that unless you go there, law school is worthless. The people in the top 13 say that unless you go there, law school is worthless. The people in the top 20, etc. etc. etc.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:55 am

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:I agree that some of these posters on here put too much emphasis on the reputation of the school and the degree itself. I don't know what will happen to them when they realize life doesn't always work out the way you want it to, and that someone is always better/smarter/richer. I'm not sure how they'll feel when they see people that didn't go to Top 14 law schools are practicing law and making money, even if employment prospects aren't great at the moment. They may be upset to find out that average person doesn't really care where you went to school.

While TLS is known to give into hyperbole, it is spot on with the notion that many people going to law schools are not making a wise decision. Chalk it up to the entitlement of our generation, societal pressures, misrepresentation by law schools, whatever. But that's the sad truth. And people keep equating generalizations with specifics. Obviously no one knows everything about you (or any certain poster)...so without that knowledge, you can only generalize.

I think you'll be more surprised to find out that, in the LEGAL hiring profession, in this generation, reputation and the degree itself matter quite a bit. No one on here is saying there won't be someone better/smarter/richer, or even that someone going to a TTT won't be better/smarter/richer...just that the odds are definitely stacked against them. I don't get why this is such a difficult concept for so many to understand. There are always exceptions, but telling someone that going to a law school that accepts a 2.5 GPA/150 LSAT for $150k (this assumes he isn't independently wealthy or gets a full ride) is like telling someone to go to Vegas and put $150k down on the number 12. Is that a wise decision? Sound financial advice? If you answer yes, then damn you got other issues. If you answer no, then I don't see why we can't be on the same page with TTT law schools. <-- I am not even talking about a biglaw corporate job...I mean almost any legal job. Yes, you can go to a TTT and pass the bar and hang out your own shingle (if that is what you want to do)...realize that is a SUPER uphill battle to succeed and probably not worth $150k...and you'd be in the exception.

I missed the part about 2.5/150. I wouldn't ever advise anyone to go to a TTT school knowing the employment prospects and cost. The problem I see with some people on this board is that they wouldn't advise anyone to go into law that can't make T14. They'll talk smack on WUSTL like it's a stamp of failure. Frankly, a lot of this talk comes across as cynical, elitist, and sometimes rude. I've learned, however, that life is full of well-educated, hardworking, competitive cynics that think other people have no shot, and they'll sanctimoniously let you know, out of their apparent concern for your best interest, that you should think about applying to Burger King instead (or give up on yourself in some other capacity).

I'm not going to tell people with 2.5/150s that Cooley is a good choice, but I'd definitely tell them that if law something they're convinced they're cut out for, and if they're willing to put in the time/effort, they should retake that LSAT and get into a better school. I also believe that perhaps some of these people who can't find legal work don't really like what they're doing, aren't offering anything special, or just aren't looking hard enough. For the record, I totally understand where you're coming from, and I agree with most of it.

OP: If you truly believe law school is the right choice for you, retake the LSAT, get a great score, and go to a great school. Don't go to any TTT schools as they will likely make job hunting difficult.

It's funny because many people at HYS say that unless you go there, law school is worthless. The people in the top 13 say that unless you go there, law school is worthless. The people in the top 20, etc. etc. etc.

Hm. No.

Good try, though.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:08 am

Op has previously expressed an interest in new Orleans / tulane. It looked like he found out on here that that currently isn't an option so decided any ls would do

He should study his ass off and go to tulane

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:33 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:Seriously though, don't any of you have money???

:lol: What happened to that guy?

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:46 am

sanjola wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:Seriously though, don't any of you have money???

:lol: What happened to that guy?

He went down in epic flames, wasn't man enough to get truly banned, and changed his password to something he didn't know. It was good while it lasted.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:55 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:

You do realize that one of the very outspoken "watch where you go and how much money you spend and retake the LSAT" posters on this board went to WUSTL and is employed, right?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm

paratactical wrote:You do realize that one of the very outspoken "watch where you go and how much money you spend and retake the LSAT" posters on this board went to WUSTL and is employed, right?

(S)he sounds like a loser for going to that festering shiTTThole.

STAMP OF FAILURE.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm

--ImageRemoved--

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:07 pm

romothesavior wrote:
paratactical wrote:You do realize that one of the very outspoken "watch where you go and how much money you spend and retake the LSAT" posters on this board went to WUSTL and is employed, right?

STAMP OF FAILURE.

yah.....this is totally unnecessary. Pretty sure insulting people is not a good augmentative technique and will not get them to reconsider. Seems like you're more interested in trashing people than actually helping.

Give them your take, if they listen to u, great, if not, leave and let them be.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:09 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

STAMP OF FAILURE.

yah.....this is totally unnecessary. Pretty sure insulting people is not a good augmentative technique and will not get them to reconsider. Seems like you're more interested in trashing people than actually helping.

I think Romo (5-0 record on Thanksgiving Day) was being sarcastic.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

STAMP OF FAILURE.

I think Romo (5-0 record on Thanksgiving Day) was being sarcastic.

based on his posting record i doubt it. Btw, the fins had that game

Postby 071816 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:11 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

STAMP OF FAILURE.

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:14 pm

How can a forum be 'suicidal' and 'bitter'? The people within it, sure, but a forum itself is simply a medium for people to express ideas. Unless we're considered a judicial assembly, but I'm pretty sure that's something to which pre-law and law students like ourselves are aspiring. Here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Last edited by anewaphorist on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:15 pm

anewaphorist wrote:How can a forum be 'suicidal' and 'bitter'? The people within it, sure, but a forum itself is simply a medium for people to express ideas. Here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

Fantastic.

Postby 071816 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:17 pm

anewaphorist wrote:How can a forum be 'suicidal' and 'bitter'? The people within it, sure, but a forum itself is simply a medium for people to express ideas. Here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum

anewaphorist

Postby anewaphorist » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:19 pm

^Loling so hard at that! :)

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:19 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
Tom Joad wrote:I think Romo (5-0 record on Thanksgiving Day) was being sarcastic.

based on his posting record i doubt it. Btw, the fins had that game

I think you're wrong on this one :(

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:32 pm

thederangedwang wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

STAMP OF FAILURE.

Romo goes to WUSTL.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Bronte wrote:Romo goes to WUSTL.

i dont c ur pt

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:38 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

i dont c ur pt

That doesn't bode well for you.

Postby 071816 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:39 pm

thederangedwang wrote:

i dont c ur pt

yet you were able to pull a 173 on the LSATs??

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:41 pm

chimp wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

i dont c ur pt

lulz.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:41 pm

chimp wrote:
thederangedwang wrote:

i dont c ur pt

i guessed, a lot.....A LOT...like....a lot

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:42 pm

my numbers r actually a bit off on lsn...i guessed a 177 on the real deal

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm

oh, i think u guys misunderstood my confusion, i know romo goes to wustl,but i didnt think he was referring to wustl as the shithole...maybe he was, idk

obviously if he was referring to wustl as the shithole then yah i get it

but i thought he was referring to the school of 3v3ryth1ng which is why i wrote wat i wrote

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”