Can you hide transcripts..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ewhite09

Can you hide transcripts..

Postby ewhite09 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 pm

I went to a CC right after high school and only took like 2 classes there. I did poorly in those classes. I then went on to a 4-year college without using any of the info from the community college. I applied as if I was going straight from HS and never used the CC transcripts or credits. I've never used them for anything and pretty much have disregarded them. I'm not going to report them to LSAC b/c those grades never reflected on my UG gpa or anything. Can they or the law schools I'll be applying to find out if I don't report them?

emkay625

Re: Can you hide transcripts..

Postby emkay625 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Yes. Yes they can.

More importantly, this will screw you over for C&F when you apply to the bar.

Don't do this. 2 classes won't impact your GPA all that much anyway.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:19 pm

Troll.

You MUST disclose grades from ALL undergraduate coursework, CC classes as well. Failure to do so will result in severe penalties.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:28 pm

ewhite09 wrote: Can they or the law schools I'll be applying to find out if I don't report them?

No, the law schools can't find out. I have known others who have done that.
The better question is do you think you should be a lawyer if you have a tendency to hide or omit relevant information? Let the honest people be lawyers so that we can clean up the bad stereotypes associated with lawyers. You should think about being a politician, your disposition might actually improve their image.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 pm

MormonChristian wrote:
ewhite09 wrote: Can they or the law schools I'll be applying to find out if I don't report them?

The better question is do you think you should be a lawyer if you have a tendency to hide or omit relevant information? Let the honest people be lawyers so that we can clean up the bad stereotypes associated with lawyers. You should think about being a politician, your disposition might actually improve their image.

Lol. Nice first post in addition to the username. I can see you being a wonderful moral crusader on TLS.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:34 pm

emkay625 wrote:Yes. Yes they can.

More importantly, this will screw you over for C&F when you apply to the bar.

This is the truth. Don't try to hide it.

MormonChristian wrote:No, the law schools can't find out. I have known others who have done that.

And this is the real troll. The law schools can find out, and if for some reason they don't, like emkay said, it will come back to haunt you. Regardless of the ethical or moral issues, you won't get away with it.

ewhite09

Postby ewhite09 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:45 pm

thanks for the heads up.

GerardC3

Postby GerardC3 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:33 am

disclose everything. seriously i t doesn't hurt. it will hurt in c&f

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:58 am

Disclose.

foxtrottortxof

Postby foxtrottortxof » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 am

I'm legitimately curious: how would they find out? It doesn't seem like they could. Is there some master file somewhere of every school he's attended?

If you're acting amorally, it's just a gamble, dude--is it worth it or not? The result could be bad (can't go to a law school) to catastrophic (can't be a lawyer, etc.), but I'm not sure there's a great chance they'd find out.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:17 am

foxtrottortxof wrote:I'm legitimately curious: how would they find out? It doesn't seem like they could. Is there some master file somewhere of every school he's attended?

If you're acting amorally, it's just a gamble, dude--is it worth it or not? The result could be bad (can't go to a law school) to catastrophic (can't be a lawyer, etc.), but I'm not sure there's a great chance they'd find out.

I would guess there is some way to check based on social. Every school I've ever attended has required my social security number... and I can't think of why other than storing it away in some database for some reason I'm not entirely sure I want to know. All I know is this: If schools are collecting socials, there has to be a way to track every school a person has ever applied to/enrolled in.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:22 am

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
foxtrottortxof wrote:I'm legitimately curious: how would they find out? It doesn't seem like they could. Is there some master file somewhere of every school he's attended?

I would guess there is some way to check based on social. Every school I've ever attended has required my social security number... and I can't think of why other than storing it away in some database for some reason I'm not entirely sure I want to know. All I know is this: If schools are collecting socials, there has to be a way to track every school a person has ever applied to/enrolled in.

i would actually think this is exactly the kind of thing FERPA prohibits. i found a couple websites with administrative guidelines for universities to never disclose to outside entities without consent, but i don't really have enough interest to go and check if the law actually prohibits such disclosures.

either way, disclose is the right answer.

bobbyh1919

Postby bobbyh1919 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 am

Your first major step toward becoming a lawyer shouldn't involve a cover-up. Disclose.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 am

If not because you just posted this on a public forum, you should probably disclose.

To be fair, I don't think LSAC has a way of tracking the information down. But I wouldn't trust some rando on TLS with something that could mean getting kicked out of school/disbarred/whatever down the line.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:12 am

yea its probably not a great idea to ask on a public forum if you should commit fraud :shock:

ryemanhattan

Postby ryemanhattan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 am

great album.

tww909 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

i would actually think this is exactly the kind of thing FERPA prohibits. i found a couple websites with administrative guidelines for universities to never disclose to outside entities without consent, but i don't really have enough interest to go and check if the law actually prohibits such disclosures.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:43 am

It is probably a good decision to disclose especially if your screen name is ewhite09

Opie

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:53 am

tww909 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

I think most schools have you sign something at matriculation authorizing them to check this stuff with any other school. With that said, I think it's unlikely that they will blanket every CC with transcript requests. I don't think they'd really find out unless they had a reason to look.

C&F committees WILL find out though. They do a much more sophisticated search. They're going to ask for every address you've ever lived at. That will give them a good idea what schools you might have go to. Also, they're going to run your credit. A non-disclosed school better not be anywhere on that report or in your financial aid info from lenders. If you didn't disclose a school you went to -- ESPESCIALLY if non-disclosure improved your chances of getting in to law school -- I doubt you'll ever sit for the bar.

Disclose everything is ALWAYS TCR.

*It's also the right thing to do and probably won't hurt you much.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:40 pm

tww909 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:

I'm pretty sure that when you apply to the bar you sign a blanket waiver that lets the Bar get your records from most places without having to come back and ask your permission. See, e.g, http://www.floridabarexam.org/public/ma ... /Form6.PDF

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Yes, the general consensus in here is correct. The school probably won't find out, but C&f will... so you'll spend a ridiculous amount of $ and 3 years, and then be told you can't be a lawyer

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:18 pm

MormonChristian wrote:

Law schools might not. But C&F might. And it might at any point during your legal career. There is no statute of limitations on ethical violations for lawyers --- you could be in mid-career and lose your job because of this stupid decision you're making.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Since it was a community college and therefore public, yes they can. If he's provided LSAC or the schools with his social security number, they can see every public institution he's ever attended. It's even easier if he used any form of financial aid (grants, federal loans, etc) to enroll at those schools.

Source: my father has worked in community college administration for three decades. I've literally watched him do a search on me just for fun.

They definitely can. Will they? No clue.

SnoDog

Postby SnoDog » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Wouldn't the OP also get in trouble once the law school / C+F finds out that he didn't submit his CC transcripts to his UG?

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:28 pm

SnoDog wrote:Wouldn't the OP also get in trouble once the law school / C+F finds out that he didn't submit his CC transcripts to his UG?

Yes.

ewhite09

Postby ewhite09 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks all for the information, I am definitely going to disclose. Just a little sad. So with a 3.79 which it will most likely be, what type of LSAT score am I looking at to get into the t14? 170 minimum? Non-URM Hispanic.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”