Class ranking issue

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EMZE

Class ranking issue

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:22 pm

All my applications are submitted, as of 3-4 weeks ago. On my resume, I listed that I was in the top 15% of my class, because at the service academy I went to, only 55% of our overall ranking is based on academics, and I was right around 12%. However, after looking at my LSAC report, my academic GPA ranked me at the top 22%-ile.

On my resume I listed "ranked top 15% overall". Should I e-mail the schools to clarify that it is not strictly my academic rank? My concern is what they will think if they don't make the connection that at a military academy, class rank may not be just academic. Is this concern justified, or unecessary?

Thanks.

BlakcMajikc

Re: Class ranking issue

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:33 pm

EMZE wrote:All my applications are submitted, as of 3-4 weeks ago. On my resume, I listed that I was in the top 15% of my class, because at the service academy I went to, only 55% of our overall ranking is based on academics, and I was right around 12%. However, after looking at my LSAC report, my academic GPA ranked me at the top 22%-ile.

On my resume I listed "ranked top 15% overall". Should I e-mail the schools to clarify that it is not strictly my academic rank? My concern is what they will think if they don't make the connection that at a military academy, class rank may not be just academic. Is this concern justified, or unecessary?

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry. While admissions might not make that connection, I think the numbers were close enough that it won't be a big deal. Also, the adcomms know that the LSAC academic report does sometimes show different things than a regular school transcript would show (obviously including the LSAC GPA calculation).

Guessing you are a member of the Long Gray Line.
Beat Navy!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 pm

BlakcMajikc wrote:
EMZE wrote:All my applications are submitted, as of 3-4 weeks ago. On my resume, I listed that I was in the top 15% of my class, because at the service academy I went to, only 55% of our overall ranking is based on academics, and I was right around 12%. However, after looking at my LSAC report, my academic GPA ranked me at the top 22%-ile.

Thanks.

I wouldn't worry. While admissions might not make that connection, I think the numbers were close enough that it won't be a big deal. Also, the adcomms know that the LSAC academic report does sometimes show different things than a regular school transcript would show (obviously including the LSAC GPA calculation).

Guessing you are a member of the Long Gray Line.
Beat Navy!

Thanks for the help!

Are you also from the long gray line? Beat Navy is hopeful. We'll know in the coming weeks.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Pmd

46nyc

Postby 46nyc » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:52 am

I might be mistaken, but doesn't the class rank percentile on the LSAC report only take into account graduates of your school who have registered with CAS within the last three years? So it's not really your class rank but where you fall among law school applicants from your school. I hope this helps, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:56 am

46nyc wrote:I might be mistaken, but doesn't the class rank percentile on the LSAC report only take into account graduates of your school who have registered with CAS within the last three years? So it's not really your class rank but where you fall among law school applicants from your school. I hope this helps, but someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Pretty sure its overall school ranking.

tt102

Postby tt102 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:50 am

Last edited by tt102 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ahnhub

Postby ahnhub » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:18 am

Don't think that can be true. My school doesn't class rank, and yet I have a CAS percentile rank. They didn't get that information from my school -- I'm pretty sure it's based on previous applicants through LSAC. For the OP's purposes, that may or may not be a representative sample, anyway.

Yes, the GPA ranking is simply where your GPA falls on the spectrum of students from that school who register with CAS. They don't have access to anyone else's numbers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”