Widener Campus Choice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
2LT_CPG

Bronze

Widener Campus Choice

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:46 pm

I'll preface this by saying I'm not interested in talking about the potential pitfalls of going to a school like Widener, I'm 100% aware of the risks incurred and am aware of the school's reputation. But thanks for the concern. This question is more for current students or people who applied in the recent past:

Does anyone know about how Widener sees choosing the Harrisburg or Delaware campus in their application? Is one campus more selective in admissions? I know you can apply to both, but can you mark a preference? I would probably be more interested in going to the Harrisburg campus since I'd like to take advantage of the state capital internship opportunities, but I'd be fine with going to Delaware.

I was going to send an admissions rep an email about this but I thought I'd check here first. Thanks.

ggibelli

Bronze

Re: Widener Campus Choice

Post by ggibelli » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:54 pm

I'd say you're better setup for Harrisburg opportunities from that campus as opposed to the Wilmington, DE campus. If you want a shot at Philly or want to work in Delaware then I'd recommend the DE campus. You're going to be able to have networking opportunities in the area you're at school so it's good to think about that. I don't believe either of the two are more selective than the other. I'm actually from the Philadelphia/Delaware are and the DE-Widener does hold a strong rep in DE (as it's the only DE law school) but it won't carry much further than Philly/Southern NJ.

Goodluck!

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Thanks. I'm from Lower Merion and I know of a lot of local lawyers who are Widener grads, but they come from both campuses so I wasn't sure. The consensus that I've gotten from talking to them is that Harrisburg is newer and smaller, but has better internship opportunities and good placement in state government, but that Wilmington is a bigger and nicer campus with a more built-in alumni network in the SEPA/DE area.

I know my chances for admission are good, I just don't want to commit to Harrisburg early on if it's way more competitive because of the small number of slots given that I'll be applying a bit later in the cycle post-December LSAT. I'd be perfectly happy attending either campus.

2LT_CPG

Bronze

Post by 2LT_CPG » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:31 pm

As long as we're on the topic, does anyone from Widener have an insider perspective on the two campuses' dynamics/characteristics?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”