Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:25 pm

IAFG wrote:Yes I absolutely think median at NU gives you a GREAT chance at biglaw from NU.


I disagree.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Yes I absolutely think median at NU gives you a GREAT chance at biglaw from NU.


I disagree.

I would guess I have a fair bit more evidence to go on than you do.

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:34 pm

IAFG wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Yes I absolutely think median at NU gives you a GREAT chance at biglaw from NU.


I disagree.

I would guess I have a fair bit more evidence to go on than you do.


True. How did median people at NU fare? I've asked around here at my shitty T14 but I get conflicting answers. Nothing near great chance at biglaw from median though.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby IAFG » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Median fared well. I don't know anyone who would deny it.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:34 am

IAFG wrote:Median fared well. I don't know anyone who would deny it.


How well is well? You said that you assume you have "more evidence" than the other poster, what is the evidence? While it is true, as an NU student, you are privy to a good amount of data - you are also much more likely to inflate the data and paint a rosier picture, as it can be reassuring to see the sunnier side of things.

I'm sure NU's median did great, I've heard similar things, but I'd love to hear some data.

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby Gail » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 am

2011 go to law schools or whatever has about 45% of NW going to NLJ250


So yeah. If you're at the median, you'll be well.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:44 am

Gail wrote:2011 go to law schools or whatever has about 45% of NW going to NLJ250
So yeah. If you're at the median, you'll be well.


Thanks.

User avatar
BeerMaker
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby BeerMaker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:10 am

Law school is almost always worth it if you plan on writing patents. Can't go wrong if youre an engineer.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:00 am

180asBreath wrote:
IAFG wrote:Median fared well. I don't know anyone who would deny it.


How well is well? You said that you assume you have "more evidence" than the other poster, what is the evidence? While it is true, as an NU student, you are privy to a good amount of data - you are also much more likely to inflate the data and paint a rosier picture, as it can be reassuring to see the sunnier side of things.

I'm sure NU's median did great, I've heard similar things, but I'd love to hear some data.

I don't know what would be reassuring about it since I'm a 2L.

Most years, I don't think it's fair to schools whose placement strengths aren't NYC, since plenty of market-paying firms in smaller cities don't hit 160+ lawyers. The NLJ250 numbers also unfairly favored schools who didn't place in NYC in 2010, when all the no-offers emerged in the data.

That said, I don't have some other definitive data as a student at NU. I just know my friends and their job statuses.

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby 180asBreath » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:54 am

You don't see why it would be reassuring for a 2L at NU to feel that median at NU places well?

ahnhub
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby ahnhub » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:09 am

180asBreath wrote:You don't see why it would be reassuring for a 2L at NU to feel that median at NU places well?


If he/she's a 2L now poster's done with OCI, and already knows their status.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:31 am

is UG "worth it"? Hell, is high school "worth it" considering opportunity cost and expense (backpacks, gas to get to practices, prom tux, limo, etc.)

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:16 pm

ahnhub wrote:
180asBreath wrote:You don't see why it would be reassuring for a 2L at NU to feel that median at NU places well?


If he/she's a 2L now poster's done with OCI, and already knows their status.

This.

User avatar
FryBreadPower
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:12 pm

GATORTIM wrote:is UG "worth it"? Hell, is high school "worth it" considering opportunity cost and expense (backpacks, gas to get to practices, prom tux, limo, etc.)


But, what are the opportunity costs of high school? You can't secure much of a job; also, there is the whole, "legally required" thing.

I have a feeling that cost of UG is still with it. Consider how cheap (relative to the investment) a lot of state schools are. You also have to consider how low the opportunity cost of attending college is. Unless you are pretty talented in a certain field (you can actually make a solid salary as a programmer without a college degree provided you are pretty skilled at it), your potential wages forfeited aren't going to be very high.

lexdiamonds
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:12 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby lexdiamonds » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:49 pm

GATORTIM wrote:is UG "worth it"? Hell, is high school "worth it" considering opportunity cost and expense (backpacks, gas to get to practices, prom tux, limo, etc.)


Not comparable.

High school isn't much of an opportunity cost, for the first 2 years you cant make much money anyway, and for the next two years you aren't qualified for much. UG may not be worth it if you pick an unmarketable major or if you go to a private school and pay full price. Law school, on the other hand, costs most people at least 75-85k in loans (with many far higher than that), while only about half of all graduates will get jobs and only 20% will have well-paid jobs. If only 20% of grads are coming out of law in a good place then obviously it isn't worth it for most of the other 80%

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:57 am

IAFG wrote:
180asBreath wrote:
IAFG wrote:Median fared well. I don't know anyone who would deny it.


How well is well? You said that you assume you have "more evidence" than the other poster, what is the evidence? While it is true, as an NU student, you are privy to a good amount of data - you are also much more likely to inflate the data and paint a rosier picture, as it can be reassuring to see the sunnier side of things.

I'm sure NU's median did great, I've heard similar things, but I'd love to hear some data.

I don't know what would be reassuring about it since I'm a 2L.

Most years, I don't think it's fair to schools whose placement strengths aren't NYC, since plenty of market-paying firms in smaller cities don't hit 160+ lawyers. The NLJ250 numbers also unfairly favored schools who didn't place in NYC in 2010, when all the no-offers emerged in the data.

That said, I don't have some other definitive data as a student at NU. I just know my friends and their job statuses.


You guys actually discuss grades?

As in you know generally which friends had above median/median/below median grades? Or are you just going by like "Oh I have 10 friends that aren't on LR and 8/10 got biglaw jerbs."

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby IAFG » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:59 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
You guys actually discuss grades?

As in you know generally which friends had above median/median/below median grades? Or are you just going by like "Oh I have 10 friends that aren't on LR and 8/10 got biglaw jerbs."

this is actually a sore point for me since I really wish I didn't know, but yes, I know the majority of my close friends' GPAs (post-1L), to the hundredth.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby rayiner » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:06 pm

sanetruth wrote:
NYC Law wrote:TL;DR - if you've got shit prospects (ie liberal arts grad from a non-elite school) and you can go to a top law school and/or for extremely cheap, law school is a good investment.


So the question then becomes, where is the cutoff from elite/semi-elite to non-elite liberal arts schools. In other words, where is the cutoff when your liberal arts degree starts becoming worthless. People on TLS would say 'if not top 3, not elite', but I doubt this guy would.


In this economy tons of HYPS undergrads have no job.

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby Flash » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
sanetruth wrote:
NYC Law wrote:TL;DR - if you've got shit prospects (ie liberal arts grad from a non-elite school) and you can go to a top law school and/or for extremely cheap, law school is a good investment.


So the question then becomes, where is the cutoff from elite/semi-elite to non-elite liberal arts schools. In other words, where is the cutoff when your liberal arts degree starts becoming worthless. People on TLS would say 'if not top 3, not elite', but I doubt this guy would.


In this economy tons of HYPS undergrads have no job.

Stanford trolling.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Is law school worth it 2011 version - prof schlunk

Postby rayiner » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:21 pm

IAFG wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Yes I absolutely think median at NU gives you a GREAT chance at biglaw from NU.


I disagree.

I would guess I have a fair bit more evidence to go on than you do.


As a 3L who has seen two OCI's now, I think IAFG's characterization is accurate. The data I have suggests about 60% of C/O 2011 and C/O 2012 had something out of OCI as of October of their 2L year. That doesn't include the 10-15% of the class who were public interest from the start, or the people (admittedly rare) who lucked into something in November/December.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], smartmoon and 5 guests