Feedback for C&F

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
89vision

Feedback for C&F

Postby 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:38 pm

It's a bit detailed, so please tell me what I should cut. One of my advisers okayed it, after consulting the pre law adviser at an Ivy. My concern is the length. Everything that is in the statement below is covered extensively in my judicial affairs file. The mental illness, the substances used, and the sanctions and outcomes are well documented. Because the school has so much information, I feel compelled to disclose the following in order to avoid C&F issues in the future. I basically want a second opinion, just to feel reassured, and would like different perspectives if possible. Thanks in advance.

During the Spring 2009 semester, I confided in x that I had developed a drug dependency (for OxyContin and cocaine). During the summer, I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, Type 1, and began receiving treatment and regularly seeing a physiatrist. When I returned to school in August of 2009, I learned that the confession was reported first to the Athletic Director, then to Judicial Affairs. I met with the Director of Judicial Affairs before returning for the school year, and the offense was listed as a drug violation. I was placed on disciplinary probation for the Fall 2009 and Spring 2010 semesters, and completed the probationary period May 18, 2010. I attended a ninety-day drug rehabilitation program during the fall 2009 semester to address my substance abuse issues.

On x, I was reported to x security for drinking underage at the on-campus restaurant and bar, and then attending class. Security stated I was competent, wrote a report, and then allowed me to leave. Judicial Affairs, however, charged me with violating the universities alcohol policy for drinking underage, and I was placed on disciplinary probation for the remainder of the Spring 2011 semester until my graduation in December 2011. I attended a dual diagnosis, substance abuse treatment program for alcohol and heroin abuse during the summer of 2011.

I have learned how to responsibly monitor my mental health, and continue to see a psychiatristt and psychologist regularly. My mental health has improved significantly since my freshmen year. I have also learned from my substance abuse issues, and have fixed my behavior by avoiding individuals and environments that inhibited by substance abuse, and am dedicated to continually addressing my substance abuse problems and making responsible decisions in the future.

Other questions:

Should I write about any of this in an "overcoming obstacles" portion of applications? Both are issues I have struggled greatly with during undergrad, and my grades have suffered during 2 semesters as a result. The semester I went to rehab I made a 3.0, and the preceding one was a 3.2 due to issues more related to having untreated bipolar disorder and addiction (having 1 alone is doable for me, but having both issues made it really difficult).

Thanks to everyone that has read this and offered feedback. I know I posted a C&F question a while back, but after several discussions with my adviser and a couple of revisions, this is a lot different than the first.
Last edited by 89vision on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhiteGuy5

Re: Feedback for C&F

Postby WhiteGuy5 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Man, this is a tough one.

I remember reading somewhere (an admissions guide book I think) that ad comms look at substance abuse issues a little differently than other C&F concerns--meaning, they recognize people fall victim to it and that it's not necessarily a lapse in your judgement. Of course, getting drunk and going to class is not the same thing as being an alcoholic, but I would imagine the emphasis should be on trying to show how much you've grown since then.

You could turn this into a kick-ass PS (provided that everything worked out well).

Don't have anything specific to say about the addendum, though.

Good luck bro!

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:13 pm

WhiteGuy5 wrote:Man, this is a tough one.

I remember reading somewhere (an admissions guide book I think) that ad comms look at substance abuse issues a little differently than other C&F concerns--meaning, they recognize people fall victim to it and that it's not necessarily a lapse in your judgement. Of course, getting drunk and going to class is not the same thing as being an alcoholic, but I would imagine the emphasis should be on trying to show how much you've grown since then.

You could turn this into a kick-ass PS (provided that everything worked out well).

Don't have anything specific to say about the addendum, though.

Good luck bro!

Thanks! Unfortunately, I've been off of heroin for only a few months now, a couple of relapses, so I don't know if that's long enough to write about. If a school asks for an additional "overcoming obstacles" essay, should I write one? And should it be about the mental illness, drug use, or both? I don't know how schools view this.

Do I need to expand the "how I've grown" part? I think the addendum is a little lengthy

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:15 pm

89vision wrote:
Thanks! Unfortunately, I've been off of heroin for only a few months now, a couple of relapses, so I don't know if that's long enough to write about. If a school asks for an additional "overcoming obstacles" essay, should I write one? And should it be about the mental illness, drug use, or both? I don't know how schools view this.

Do I need to expand the "how I've grown" part? I think the addendum is a little lengthy

In all seriousness, it may be a C&F issue if you are still relapsing, especially once you start law school. LS also imposes a lot of stress that affects people in many different ways. I would not start until you are completely clean and have been clean and stable for a long time. The recency of all of this could seriously affect your cycle as well.

I'm not sure I'd provide so many details. It's rather long and it is generally best to keep it short.

E.g. I have previously struggled with drug dependency resulting in X charge and X charge. I've since sought treatment and recovered. etc.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:49 pm

blowhard wrote:
89vision wrote:

In all seriousness, it may be a C&F issue if you are still relapsing, especially once you start law school. LS also imposes a lot of stress that affects people in many different ways. I would not start until you are completely clean and have been clean and stable for a long time. The recency of all of this could seriously affect your cycle as well.

I'm not sure I'd provide so many details. It's rather long and it is generally best to keep it short.

E.g. I have previously struggled with drug dependency resulting in X charge and X charge. I've since sought treatment and recovered. etc.

That's where I am struggling: ALL of this is in my file (which is about 200 pages long). From my understanding, the bar is going to have the entire file, and if I fail to disclose something, I could get in trouble. The law schools can request my sanction letters without a release, and the two sanction letters have the bipolar bit and the substance abuse part (although it does not cite heroin, there is material in my file that shows I was a heroin addict), as well as stating I was mandated to attend substance abuse treatment and a dual diagnosis program. Those letters are accessible to all of the schools. The file will be accessible to the bar. Given that, what should I omit?

Luckily when I graduate, I'll officially cut all ties with my drug networks. This is the longest I have ever been off of heroin, and even opana and oxy (back when the real oxy's were available). Staying clean is becoming easier, but heroin is a bitch to quit. Hell, I can't even donate blood now (it was very embarrassing having to answer "yes" about using needles, and then having the nurse give me a dissenting look and denying me) .

I really need to do something I am passionate about and is time consuming. That is what I have lacked the last three years.

I'm guessing this is a bad topic to address in overcoming obstacles/diversity?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”