1 year suspension. Have I ruined everything?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RareBreed

1 year suspension. Have I ruined everything?

Postby RareBreed » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:20 pm

Appreciate the advice everyone.
Last edited by RareBreed on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdhonest

Re: 1 year suspension. Have I ruined everything?

Postby jdhonest » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:21 pm

Stop.drinking.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:26 pm

Do these offenses all come from one night or was it three different incidents? (I think it would be easier for a school to forgive one stupid night vs. three different events).

Also, have you taken a PT yet? My guess is schools will be much more willing to overlook an incident for someone who is over their medians vs. at them.

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:30 pm

Appeal - fall on your sword and take full responsibility - and stop drinking!!!!

RareBreed

Postby RareBreed » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:35 pm

emkay625 wrote:Do these offenses all come from one night or was it three different incidents? (I think it would be easier for a school to forgive one stupid night vs. three different events).

Also, have you taken a PT yet? My guess is schools will be much more willing to overlook an incident for someone who is over their medians vs. at them.

Unfortunately, it was two separate incidents. The first was PI/disorderly and the second was PI/resisting. Also, I have not had the opportunity to take a PT yet. But assuming I was at both medians at a T14, would my record get me auto-dinged?

barry

Postby barry » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:36 pm

RareBreed wrote:After three minor alcohol related offenses (public intox., disorderly conduct, resisting law enforcement), I've been suspended by my university for a period of one year (unless I appeal). Needless to say, I'm absolutely crushed by this. I was expecting at the very worst disciplinary probation. Now, I don't know what to do...Have I completely ruined my chances at law school (specifically the T14)? I can't even begin to comprehend living at home for a whole year...What would I do? I suppose if law school is still an option, I could study for the LSAT. But that's literally the only positive I can derive from my situation. This really is my worst nightmare come to fruition. Any advice is really appreciated.

Also, for what it's worth, I'm a sophomore majoring in economics with ~3.6 GPA.

This sucks but you'll still be able to get into a T14 with a good LSAT as long as you write an addendum that explains how stupid your actions were and how you learned from it. For the most part law schools just care about your numbers and your money, it's not like you murdered someone - i know a dude in LS now that had some similar problems

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:43 pm

RareBreed wrote:
emkay625 wrote:Do these offenses all come from one night or was it three different incidents? (I think it would be easier for a school to forgive one stupid night vs. three different events).

Unfortunately, it was two separate incidents. The first was PI/disorderly and the second was PI/resisting. Also, I have not had the opportunity to take a PT yet. But assuming I was at both medians at a T14, would my record get me auto-dinged?

I don't think it means auto-ding. Write a good addendum and do something valuable with this year - volunteer full-time, etc.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Was this on school grounds or what? Or during school-sponsored actiities? I'm trying to figure out how they can suspend you.

RareBreed

Postby RareBreed » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:05 pm

kalvano wrote:Was this on school grounds or what? Or during school-sponsored actiities? I'm trying to figure out how they can suspend you.

Yes. Both incidents were during tailgates, which are on school grounds.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:06 pm

Ah, OK. Like others have said, quit drinking. Law schools see far worse than this, and you'll have a couple years to separate yourself from it.

Also, appeal the shit out of it.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:11 pm

you will fit right in

Gail

Postby Gail » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:23 am

Appeal. But in the meantime, do something that will help you look like a better person. Maybe take alcohol awareness courses? AA? I think that if you can demonstrate that you've done something proactive, the law schools will see that.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:34 am

Appeal (and this might be obvious, but I would get a lawyer for the appeal).

TempleU555555

Postby TempleU555555 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:37 am

Well, assuming you lose the appeal, I had two similar arrests and got in everywhere my numbers dictated.

Three years ago, when I decided on law school, I was just as worried as you are. Just be sure to disclose everything candidlyand honestly, and you'll be fine.

I did take two years off to work in between UG and LS though, which is important to note.

If you want, PM me and I'll discuss details, but my convictions were identical to yours.

Good luck, man!

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:42 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:Appeal (and this might be obvious, but I would get a lawyer for the appeal).

This. My firm has represented a few dumb-ass rich kids that got themselves in trouble (usually client's kids). We're undefeated in Douche-law cases. Get a lawyer - a good one - and the chances of you winning your appeal will substantially increase.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 am

Appeal with a lawyer

Other than that:

Get in some type of AA class or something (possibly even one that will get an alcohol related charge removed from your record). You're still young. If you apply stating "this happened 2 years ago, I have sought help and have matured... blahblahblah" I think you'll be alright. It will be a bad soft, which while that is obviously negative the numbers are always the most importance.

Now if you get ANOTHER offense then yea, I think it can really hurt you

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:42 am

Stop drinking liquor also... I used to do insanely dumb things / get blacked out with liquor (luckily never got into any trouble). Now I just casually drink beer once a week with some friends and always just get a slight buzz. Have more fun too tbh

RareBreed

Postby RareBreed » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:53 am

Thanks for the all replies. Turns out, after looking into my university's appeal process, it appears they allow for "a complete rehearing of your case (not an appeal) from the beginning." Hopefully this will give me a better shot at potentially reversing the decision. I don't have a lot of time to request a rehearing (Dec 1 deadline), but should I have a lawyer draft an argument "providing the rationale for my request"?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:20 am

c3pO4 wrote:you will fit right in

This x100. Although I guess most law students are better about not getting arrested for our drunkenness.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:46 am

shock259 wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:you will fit right in

This x100. Although I guess most law students are better about not getting arrested for our drunkenness.

Yeah this. I've done some crazy stupid stuff and acted like a buffoon, and never gotten arrested for it. Bad luck for you I guess.

But I doubt this will hold you back from law school. Appeal if you can, keep your grades up, and kill the LSAT. Law school is not out of the question by any means.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:53 am

RareBreed wrote:Thanks for the all replies. Turns out, after looking into my university's appeal process, it appears they allow for "a complete rehearing of your case (not an appeal) from the beginning." Hopefully this will give me a better shot at potentially reversing the decision. I don't have a lot of time to request a rehearing (Dec 1 deadline), but should I have a lawyer draft an argument "providing the rationale for my request"?

The attorney will know exactly what to do and if that is necessary.
Personally, I just wouldn't want something like being suspended for a year this even on my personal (non-criminal) record so it could haunt me in anyway professionally or possibly publicly.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:39 am

RareBreed wrote:Thanks for the all replies. Turns out, after looking into my university's appeal process, it appears they allow for "a complete rehearing of your case (not an appeal) from the beginning." Hopefully this will give me a better shot at potentially reversing the decision. I don't have a lot of time to request a rehearing (Dec 1 deadline), but should I have a lawyer draft an argument "providing the rationale for my request"?

You should bring whatever written decision you have from the first hearing with you along with the guidlines for the re-hearing process to the lawyer. You should also hire a good lawyer.

Jah'rakal

Postby Jah'rakal » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:02 am

drink ur worries away

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:02 am

Apparently you misunderstood the term "bar exam".

hyakku

Postby hyakku » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:05 am

Also, not trying to excuse your actions, but that's pretty fucked that you got caught for drinking at a school sponsored tailgate. If it's anything like USC, theres absolutely no way they could possibly enforce ID checks on the countless amount of drunk parents giving their kids alcohol, so I find it pretty wild that you of all people got caught, unless your school is nothing like mine. Either that, or you were really belligerent. Either way, I don't think you are fucked, but in the interim you've got to improve your drinking sensibilities mate.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”