In Need of Guidance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lialadiva

In Need of Guidance

Postby lialadiva » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:22 pm

1. Single parent of 3.
2. Military
3. Over 30.
4. URM
5. low GPA/LSAT (3.0/140 (retaking LSAT in December and have been scoring 156-158 on PTs)
6. Taking a grad class to supplement my GPA and to show that I can take a grad class.

Any good schools I might be able the attend part-time and family friendly? Is law school even manageable with the odds noted above???

bernaldiaz

Re: In Need of Guidance

Postby bernaldiaz » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Grad classes won't help your GPA. They only look at your GPA at the point when you finished your first undergrad degree. But I don't think your GPA is going to be the problem. You're a ways out of undergrad so that puts some separation between you and the GPA, plus the military experience is going to really help there. I think that the advice here is that if you can get your LSAT above 160 you may have some decent options, but to not even consider going unless you can get that LSAT up significantly.

AntipodeanPhil

Re: In Need of Guidance

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:14 pm

bernaldiaz wrote:Grad classes won't help your GPA. They only look at your GPA at the point when you finished your first undergrad degree. But I don't think your GPA is going to be the problem. You're a ways out of undergrad so that puts some separation between you and the GPA, plus the military experience is going to really help there. I think that the advice here is that if you can get your LSAT above 160 you may have some decent options, but to not even consider going unless you can get that LSAT up significantly.

+1

You NEED to get your LSAT score up. Your GPA is a bit low, but there are good schools that will be willing to overlook that for a high enough LSAT score and URM status.

Don't go to law school unless you can get in to a tier 1 school - for a lower tier 1 school, it's generally not worth it unless they offer you some scholarship money.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”