Should I apply early decision to GW?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
earlydecision

Should I apply early decision to GW?

Postby earlydecision » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:23 pm

I've been looking at all the law schools in my range (3.71, 165) and I noticed that if I get into GW's early admission, there is a full tuition scholarship awarded. I'm not sure if GW is the right school for me, but I already have some loans piling up from my Masters work. I know that my chances aren't amazing, but I'm wondering if it is worth risking going to a school that I'm not sure about if I can get by without any more student loans. Any thoughts?

cinephile

Re: Should I apply early decision to GW?

Postby cinephile » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Well, you'd still be taking out loans for living expenses, right? So while it's not exactly free, it's a good deal. But if you're not sure about it, you shouldn't bind yourself to that kind of agreement. Where else would you be interested?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:21 am

Full tuition at GW is by far the best you're going to do with those numbers although I question whether GW is worth the 70k you'll have to take out in loans for non-tuition expenses. What is stopping you from seeking employment in the same field you got your masters degree in?

earlydecision

Postby earlydecision » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:30 am

Well, I got my Masters in marriage and family therapy. Through this program I have worked as a therapist and have gotten a lot of experience. However, the best parts about the field for me are the legal and ethical aspects, which is why I am applying to law school; I want to merge psych and law together. I am considering applying to GW law early decision because the full tuition grant will do wonders for me. Honestly, I have a lot of debt right now. I am willing to take on more for law school if I need to, but I would also be glad to have 3 years paid for (at this point, room and board is a much smaller factor).

I'm considering a lot of other schools, mostly 20-40 ranked. William and Mary, Minnesota, and Notre Dame are all some of my considerations, but I am applying to many, many more (thank goodness for fee waivers). GW sounds like a good school, but I'm scared of applying early decision. I've heard good and bad things, but is the full scholarship worth applying early decision?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:44 am

You're unlikely to get full tuition at the other schools you mentioned, so this is the best deal. But to get the full scholarship with ED your numbers have to be a lock for that school, and your LSAT is a few points shy, so you may not have to worry about being bound to GW.

If your want to work merging psych and law, maybe there are other options. I know a guy who's a counselor at a juvenile detention center. Have you spoken with an adviser at your MA about career options?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”