Employment Information section in application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tunarat

Employment Information section in application

Postby tunarat » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:30 pm

Although I plan to submit a resume for all my applications, most of the apps also have an employment information section with directions to list all my employment and the total number of months of full-time employment experience. I have been told to leave all irrelevant high school employment off my resume, so does this also hold for the employment section?

Also, I worked full-time for about 8 months in pre-college jobs that I am leaving off my resume (and possibly my employment info section), so if I leave off those jobs, I will also be unable to list those 8 additional months of full-time work. As a recent graduate who was just promoted as a full-time employee, listing only 1 month of full-time work will not look too impressive.

Any thoughts?

Re: Employment Information section in application

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 pm

I listed all of my work experience since the beginning of UG. I'd suspect any WE in college and afterwards could be seen as a plus (even only one month).

Also, make sure you completely fill out that employment section, even if the resume makes it redundant.

Opie

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

I listed EVERYTHING starting at age 14. Came out to 151 months of FT WE. :mrgreen:

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:34 am

Last edited by kneedrag on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:21 am

kneedrag wrote:I don't even understand the point of this question.

They asked for all of your work history, plus you presumably send a resume, so???

I only included my post-graduate work as "Full Time" even though I had several semesters (14 months worth) of "Full Time" paid co-op experience in Engineering school.

They aren't just going to look at the number and not see where it came from. Stretching to inflate it seems a bit childish IMO.

Maybe so, but all work experience gives you some transferrable skills. For example, I worked in retail for four years. It taught me how to deal with (more like 'put up with') all kinds of people. I'd take someone that's been working since age 14 (in any industry) over someone with little to no WE, given the rest of their qualifications are equal.

Opie

Postby Opie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:40 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
kneedrag wrote:I don't even understand the point of this question.

They asked for all of your work history, plus you presumably send a resume, so???

I only included my post-graduate work as "Full Time" even though I had several semesters (14 months worth) of "Full Time" paid co-op experience in Engineering school.

They aren't just going to look at the number and not see where it came from. Stretching to inflate it seems a bit childish IMO.

Maybe so, but all work experience gives you some transferrable skills. For example, I worked in retail for four years. It taught me how to deal with (more like 'put up with') all kinds of people. I'd take someone that's been working since age 14 (in any industry) over someone with little to no WE, given the rest of their qualifications are equal.

Aww, thanks! We was po', so I financed all my own stuff. It's part of my PS, so that's why I put jobs back to 14. I started in management at 19 though, so that's all pretty relevant.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”