The Law School Scam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D-hops

Re: The Law School Scam

Postby D-hops » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:59 am

bjsesq wrote:How the fuck people keep biting. FUCK.

The idiocy in this thread at one point had me defending MTal. That is how bad it was.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:04 am

D-hops wrote:

The idiocy in this thread at one point had me defending MTal. That is how bad it was.

I saw that. OCI is for pussies.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:04 am

My general sentiment on the legal market, the economy, and this thread

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:08 am

bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Real men get jerbs through grit and determination. And build law with their bare hands.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 am

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Real men get jerbs through grit and determination. And build law with their bare hands.

True Grit. It's not just for Jeff Bridges. Now, retards are getting them some, too.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:31 am

I never know who to hate more in these threads: the assholes like Mtal and lawschoolreality, who make outrageous blanket generalizations about the entire profession of law and make wild assumptions about all law students, or the dipshits (mostly 0Ls/1Ls) who think everything is going to be great because "A law degree is soooo valuable and I'm learning so much!" and "All I have to do is persevere! Nothing in life is handed to you!"

You all suck.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

romothesavior wrote:I never know who to hate more in these threads: the assholes like Mtal and lawschoolreality, who make outrageous blanket generalizations about the entire profession of law and make wild assumptions about all law students, or the dipshits (mostly 0Ls/1Ls) who think everything is going to be great because "A law degree is soooo valuable and I'm learning so much!" and "All I have to do is persevere! Nothing in life is handed to you!"

You all suck.

+1

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:17 am

This thread is on fire right now. What does everyone think about...

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Full-ride at local respected TTT in a non-super competitive market
-Wants to go into prosecution, has done research
-History+experience with internships/jobs related to criminal justice
-Actually enjoys school
-realizes that law school is a risk

Am I making a bad choice?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:22 am

Sure, I guess, a free education is usually a good choice?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:31 am

msuz wrote:This thread is on fire right now. What does everyone think about...

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Actually enjoys school

Not a bad choice, but really that this isn't necessarily "free". COA (housing, books, food, entertainment) is generally expensive, maybe $15-25k a yr. Also, the opportunity cost of those three years has to be taken into account. You could have been working, earning a decent salary, and getting a step ahead in terms of advancing in your chosen profession.

You'll have to take this with a grain of salt, since I'm in the exact same position as you and still really unsure about what I want to do (work or law school).

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:44 am

romothesavior wrote:I never know who to hate more in these threads: the assholes like Mtal and lawschoolreality, who make outrageous blanket generalizations about the entire profession of law and make wild assumptions about all law students, or the dipshits (mostly 0Ls/1Ls) who think everything is going to be great because "A law degree is soooo valuable and I'm learning so much!" and "All I have to do is persevere! Nothing in life is handed to you!"

You all suck.

Tl;dr - haters gonna hate

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:52 am

c3pO4 wrote:

You all suck.

That took about 4 seconds to read and accurately describes the derp put forth by you and others in this stupid new and exciting topic

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:58 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:

You all suck.

That took about 4 seconds to read and accurately describes the derp put forth by you and others in this stupid new and exciting topic

lol. that's just like, your opinion man.

Gail

Postby Gail » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:13 am

InGoodFaith wrote:

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Actually enjoys school

Not a bad choice, but really that this isn't necessarily "free". COA (housing, books, food, entertainment) is generally expensive, maybe $15-25k a yr. Also, the opportunity cost of those three years has to be taken into account. You could have been working, earning a decent salary, and getting a step ahead in terms of advancing in your chosen profession.

You'll have to take this with a grain of salt, since I'm in the exact same position as you and still really unsure about what I want to do (work or law school).

If only you didn't go to law school, you could somehow avoid those pesky cost of living expenses and advancing at your amazing sales job. Silly lawyers.

I do realize that this is disingenuous and that the difference is that you aren't earning an income in law school, whereas you might be if you were not attending.

Please also realize that just because you aren't earning an income in law school doesn't mean that you'd be earning an income in real life either.

Actually, I apologize for being a dick. Sorry. I'm just loling.

nucky thompson

Postby nucky thompson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:32 am

I know USNWR is influential, but the Pless report and articles like this show how much it actually guides admissions offices' behavior

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1
Last edited by nucky thompson on Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:36 am

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Actually enjoys school

Are there any stipulations on the scholarship?
Are there prosecution jobs in the market you want to work? Does your school actually place any people into those sorts of jobs?
All of us enjoy school. That's the problem. We like school, hate work, so we go to law school.

caputlupinum

Postby caputlupinum » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:51 am

People law school is a horrible life style choice!!!
***shuffles law school apps and donation forms to gay right campaigns--
Again!!! Don't go you will ruin your life!!
same with drugs they are not as good as people say they ruin your life sniffle sniff

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:56 am

NYC Law wrote:All of us enjoy school. That's the problem. We like school, hate work, so we go to law school.

Work >> reading 5hrs a day + classes + memo.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Gail wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Actually enjoys school

If only you didn't go to law school, you could somehow avoid those pesky cost of living expenses and advancing at your amazing sales job. Silly lawyers.

I do realize that this is disingenuous and that the difference is that you aren't earning an income in law school, whereas you might be if you were not attending.

Please also realize that just because you aren't earning an income in law school doesn't mean that you'd be earning an income in real life either.

Actually, I apologize for being a dick. Sorry. I'm just loling.

In all seriousness, I actually am earning a decent income right now at a Fortune 100 company, in a job that I couldn't see myself doing for more than 3-5 years. Deciding whether or not to go to law school is a pretty tough choice!

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:27 pm

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Actually enjoys school

You have to make your own judgment:

Even if it is a full ride you have to consider opportunity costs + living expenses. A law degree locks you in so it will be harder for you in the future to change course. Prosecution positions are very hard to get. Probably about just as hard to get as biglaw/midlaw.

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:33 pm

NYC Law wrote:Are there any stipulations on the scholarship?
Yes at one, still unsure at other options
NYC Law wrote:Are there prosecution jobs in the market you want to work? Does your school actually place any people into those sorts of jobs?
I've done light research to try and figure this out, but its hard to really know. The school Im thinking of does place people in the area, but everywhere in the US there are budget cuts. Also, its hard to predict where the economy will be in 3-4 years.
NYC Law wrote:All of us enjoy school. That's the problem. We like school, hate work, so we go to law school.
Touché.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:35 pm

caputlupinum wrote:People law school is a horrible life style choice!!!
***shuffles law school apps and donation forms to gay right campaigns--
Again!!! Don't go you will ruin your life!!
same with drugs they are not as good as people say they ruin your life sniffle sniff

what does this mean?

msuz

Postby msuz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:36 pm

thexfactor wrote:Even if it is a full ride you have to consider opportunity costs + living expenses. A law degree locks you in so it will be harder for you in the future to change course. Prosecution positions are very hard to get. Probably about just as hard to get as biglaw/midlaw.

Seriously? Other threads seem to place a lot less importance on grades and more on demonstrated interest, which I have/will continue to have.

helfer snooterbagon

Postby helfer snooterbagon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:37 pm

What if you go to law school at night, have a full scholarship and a decent paying job? Is that still a bad idea?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:38 pm

thexfactor wrote:Even if it is a full ride you have to consider opportunity costs + living expenses. A law degree locks you in so it will be harder for you in the future to change course. Prosecution positions are very hard to get. Probably about just as hard to get as biglaw/midlaw.

Eh... depends on where he's looking. Big city prosecution jobs can be tough to get, especially in cities with current budget issues, but it really depends on where he's looking. There are a lot of smaller cities, rural communities, suburban areas, etc. that have high turnover rate with much lower competition. Prosecutor jobs are not "easy" to get ITE (no job is), but in general it is substantially less competitive to get than biglaw/midlaw, especially if you show a dedicated interest in it from the start.

But I do agree to consider cost of living. Even with a full ride, you're going to be spending a good chunk of change.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”