The Law School Scam

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MTal

Re: The Law School Scam

Postby MTal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
If you are at at a T6 school or attending some other school at a full ride, then stay. If not, DROP OUT NOW.

I'm at a T7 MTal, should I drop out?

If on substantial scholarship then stay, if not, drop out.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:06 pm

MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote:
If you are at at a T6 school or attending some other school at a full ride, then stay. If not, DROP OUT NOW.

What qualifies as substantial?

Postby 071816 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:08 pm

Arbitrary line-drawing is fun.

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote:

What qualifies as substantial?

Enough so that you graduate with less than 50k in debt. You're more of a special case, since you're a borderline candidate. 1 other thing to take into account would be sales ability. If you're good at socializing and can bring in clients, you're head and shoulders above everyone else in the field. If you don't have any experience with sales, or aren't sure of your sales ability, then that's another mark against you.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Heinous NYU trolling in the OP.

LAWSCHOOLREALITY

Postby LAWSCHOOLREALITY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:17 pm

89vision wrote:Does listening to what a stranger says on an online forum indicate an informed decision making process?

You've demonstrated in the warning thread you'd rather listen to misinformed advisers than informed strangers.

I love how defensive these kids get when they are told law school is a bad decision for the first time.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Enough so that you graduate with less than 50k in debt. You're more of a special case, since you're a borderline candidate. 1 other thing to take into account would be sales ability. If you're good at socializing and can bring in clients, you're head and shoulders above everyone else in the field. If you don't have any experience with sales, or aren't sure of your sales ability, then that's another mark against you.

How can I replicate the six figure income I was expecting to make at graduation?
Last edited by Veyron on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:19 pm

LAWSCHOOLREALITY wrote:
89vision wrote:Does listening to what a stranger says on an online forum indicate an informed decision making process?

You've demonstrated in the warning thread you'd rather listen to misinformed advisers than informed strangers.

I love how defensive these kids get when they are told law school is a bad decision for the first time.

I'm like a honey badger.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 pm

LAWSCHOOLREALITY wrote:

enter douche #2

LAWSCHOOLREALITY

Postby LAWSCHOOLREALITY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:23 pm

glitter178 wrote:
LAWSCHOOLREALITY wrote:

enter douche #2

Self-entitled clown

Revolver066

Postby Revolver066 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Can't you just have your own thread about this? I'm all for dissuading people to go to law school (or at least making them think twice), but its the same thing over and over.

Just create a "MTal's Corner" thread where you can rail against law school, and we can all make hot topic references. Everybody wins.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:26 pm

LAWSCHOOLREALITY wrote:
glitter178 wrote:
LAWSCHOOLREALITY wrote:

enter douche #2

Self-entitled clown

you're talking about yourself, right? aren't you the one who doesn't want any more JDs for the next 5 years b/c you want the whole big legal market all to yourself? what if someone had said that to you before you got your JD?

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Veyron wrote: How can I replicate the six figure income I was expecting to make at graduation?

Either sales, or management. If you're good at sales, you can make 6 figures right away. Management will take longer, that usually involves starting out at your run of the mill retail chain wal mart, target, etc, and working your way up to store manager; they usually make in the low 6 figures. Regional managers make more.
Last edited by MTal on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigeast03

Postby bigeast03 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:28 pm

I'm honestly curious, and I know it's been asked before - what is your goal MTal/LAWSCHOOLREALITY? MTal seems to be very happy with his job and he definitely seemed to have made a good assessment and decision to drop out.(sincere) Why continue to troll law school forums? If things are exactly how you say, and almost everyone on here ends up unemployed and homeless, how does that affect you? I don't really see why you are so personally bothered by this.

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:29 pm

MTal wrote:
Veyron wrote: How can I replicate the six figure income I was expecting to make at graduation?

Either sales, or management. If you're good at sales, you can make 6 figures right away. Management will take longer, that usually involves starting out at your run of the mill retail chain wal mart, target, etc, and working your way up to store manager; they usually make in the low 6 figures. Regional managers make more.

Very Very True

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:32 pm

What about people who have already had 6 fig jobs and don't care about the money they just want to be litigators? I would rather eat spam for dinner while working in a court room repping trashy plaintiffs in a personal injury case than work at my sales job.

MTal

Postby MTal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Larry David wrote:What about people who have already had 6 fig jobs

This describes a tiny percentage of all TLS posters. Yeah if you have 200k to blow on funding a law school dean's retirement, then more power to you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:36 pm

MTal wrote:

I feel as if I've already worked my way up in a sense by kicking ass during undergrad and on the LSAT. I understand that I might be able to make more in sales in the long run or maybe even right away but couldn't I make up for that by living frugally investing my law firm salary for a couple of years? Or is it just that I'll have trouble being taken seriously in the long run by firms and potential business partners since I don't go to a T6?

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:37 pm

What about for someone who is a good salesman whose parents are paying for tuition + living expenses but if they do not attend law school the parents are completely cutting them off?

Leaving a commission only job but one where I made 70k/year roughly.

LAWSCHOOLREALITY

Postby LAWSCHOOLREALITY » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:38 pm

glitter178 wrote:enter douche #2

Self-entitled clown[/quote]

you're talking about yourself, right? aren't you the one who doesn't want any more JDs for the next 5 years b/c you want the whole big legal market all to yourself? what if someone had said that to you before you got your JD?[/quote]

No I'm talking about you
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=168699&p=4850059#p4850059

My career has been stable and lucrative for a while. This wasn't an issue when I entered law school. This isn't an issue for me now. I have sound legal employment and it isn't going away anytime soon due to where I've gotten in my life. This is an issue for all of you entering law school and the legal market right now. It's not getting better. This has been an issue for the market for some time. Like another poster demonstrated in the warning thread, the current market is not a reflection of the recession but rather the recession accelerated an inevitable change in the legal market. I'm trying to help you in all honesty.

I would not have gone to law school if the market was like this when I was entering. If someone had told me what it really looked like, what a small chance there is for success, and tried to help me avoid ruining the rest of my life, I would've taken a step back, re-evaluated my career choices, and thanked them for talking me out of ruining my life. There is no rush to join this mess. Go do something else unless you're one of the VERY FEW who have positioned yourself to make law school a minimal risk. And even then, you're going to get worked to death due to less employees being able to complete the same level of work. It is not a good time at all to become an associate. I don't think you really know what an 80 hour work week feels like.

Larry David

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:39 pm

whuts4lunch wrote:What about for someone who is a good salesman whose parents are paying for tuition + living expenses but if they do not attend law school the parents are completely cutting them off?

You can get a better job if you're a closer

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Veyron wrote:
MTal wrote:

I feel as if I've already worked my way up in a sense by kicking ass during undergrad and on the LSAT. I understand that I might be able to make more in sales in the long run or maybe even right away but couldn't I make up for that by living frugally investing my law firm salary for a couple of years? Or is it just that I'll have trouble being taken seriously in the long run by firms and potential business partners since I don't go to a T6?

Penn is very well regarded in business. Hair below Harvard. No one won't take you seriously because you went to Penn.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Larry David wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:What about for someone who is a good salesman whose parents are paying for tuition + living expenses but if they do not attend law school the parents are completely cutting them off?

You can get a better job if you're a closer

Am definitely a closer. Actually in law school 1st year right now, chose to leave the job I was at, wondering what MTal thinks.

edit: had other job opps when I came to school too, but very hard to determine what the pay would be like, since a lot depended on the success of the business, economy, changing regulations and the like. I definitely think a JD will help me even if I go back to the same industry, but working my ass off reading cases and attending classes is killing me; I feel like I'm producing nothing and am surrounded by children.
Last edited by whuts4lunch on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:42 pm

I'm not sure what is more lulzy: parents who are willing to pay for law school and living expenses; parents who will "cut off" their kids for refusing said offer; freaking adults who are in a position where getting "cut off" by their parents is an impact on the decision-making process; or MTal.
Last edited by ToTransferOrNot on Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whuts4lunch

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:44 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I'm not sure what is more lulzy: parents who are willing to pay for law school and living expenses; parents who will "cut off" their kids for refusing said offer; or freaking adults who are in a position where getting "cut off" by their parents is an impact on the decision-making process.

Haha

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”