The Law School Scam Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gail

Silver

Re: The Law School Scam

Post by Gail » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
In all seriousness, I actually am earning a decent income right now at a Fortune 100 company, in a job that I couldn't see myself doing for more than 3-5 years. Deciding whether or not to go to law school is a pretty tough choice!
Well... I won't be.

msuz

Bronze

Post by msuz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:52 pm

romothesavior wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Even if it is a full ride you have to consider opportunity costs + living expenses. A law degree locks you in so it will be harder for you in the future to change course. Prosecution positions are very hard to get. Probably about just as hard to get as biglaw/midlaw.
Eh... depends on where he's looking. Big city prosecution jobs can be tough to get, especially in cities with current budget issues, but it really depends on where he's looking. There are a lot of smaller cities, rural communities, suburban areas, etc. that have high turnover rate with much lower competition. Prosecutor jobs are not "easy" to get ITE (no job is), but in general it is substantially less competitive to get than biglaw/midlaw, especially if you show a dedicated interest in it from the start.

But I do agree to consider cost of living. Even with a full ride, you're going to be spending a good chunk of change.
Unless its in Detroit, where I may end up.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:54 pm

caputlupinum wrote:People law school is a horrible life style choice!!!
***shuffles law school apps and donation forms to gay right campaigns--
Again!!! Don't go you will ruin your life!!
same with drugs they are not as good as people say they ruin your life sniffle sniff
You just got back from your ban and you're still trolling? Have another timeout.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:57 pm

msuz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
thexfactor wrote:Even if it is a full ride you have to consider opportunity costs + living expenses. A law degree locks you in so it will be harder for you in the future to change course. Prosecution positions are very hard to get. Probably about just as hard to get as biglaw/midlaw.
Eh... depends on where he's looking. Big city prosecution jobs can be tough to get, especially in cities with current budget issues, but it really depends on where he's looking. There are a lot of smaller cities, rural communities, suburban areas, etc. that have high turnover rate with much lower competition. Prosecutor jobs are not "easy" to get ITE (no job is), but in general it is substantially less competitive to get than biglaw/midlaw, especially if you show a dedicated interest in it from the start.

But I do agree to consider cost of living. Even with a full ride, you're going to be spending a good chunk of change.
Unless its in Detroit, where I may end up.
A lot of states are having budget problems, so that might be another factor to deal with. I think grades are still important for prosecutor positions. They are necessary but not sufficient.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:07 pm

MTal wrote:Why would anyone go to law school right now? The costs are MASSIVE, the entire industry is contracting...if things don't work out (for 90 % the won't), you are stuck with the debt for LIFE. Are you people uninformed, naive, or some mixture of both?

you know whats funny? when gwuorbust says pretty much the same thing, people don't really get on him...but when Mtal says it...people devote 12 pages (so far lol) to bashing him...I guess its the fact that the latter has actually made a thread :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:10 pm

JPrezy87 wrote:
MTal wrote:Why would anyone go to law school right now? The costs are MASSIVE, the entire industry is contracting...if things don't work out (for 90 % the won't), you are stuck with the debt for LIFE. Are you people uninformed, naive, or some mixture of both?

you know whats funny? when gwuorbust says pretty much the same thing, people don't really get on him...but when Mtal says it...people devote 12 pages (so far lol) to bashing him...I guess its the fact that the latter has actually made a thread :roll:
lolwut

It isn't that MTal says law school is a bad idea. That's a universally accepted idea among nearly all TLS regulars. It's the trolly and obnoxious manner in which he says it, combined with excessive hyperbole.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:I never know who to hate more in these threads: the assholes like Mtal and lawschoolreality, who make outrageous blanket generalizations about the entire profession of law and make wild assumptions about all law students, or the dipshits (mostly 0Ls/1Ls) who think everything is going to be great because "A law degree is soooo valuable and I'm learning so much!" and "All I have to do is persevere! Nothing in life is handed to you!"

You all suck.

Yea I've learned from my time here on TLS that the truth is somewhere in the middle between the the law school haters (mtal) and the naively optimistic OLs views--no law school is not a guaranteed ticket to a multi million dollar career nor is it a ticket to unemployed student loan slavery--if you go to the RIGHT SCHOOL, in the RIGHT MARKET, ls can be a worthy investment :).

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:30 pm

NYC Law wrote:
JPrezy87 wrote:

lolwut

It isn't that MTal says law school is a bad idea. That's a universally accepted idea among nearly all TLS regulars. It's the trolly and obnoxious manner in which he says it, combined with excessive hyperbole.

Um dude... I think you're confusing most tlser's (like romothesavior) CAUTIOUS viewpoint that law school CAN be a bad idea if you go to the wrong school or make the wrong decision (going to a tier 3/tier 4, going to a school in an oversaturated market, going to a school you got to pay sticker at, etc) with Mtal's IDIOTIC viewpoint to not go to law school period :).

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:35 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Gail wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
msuz wrote:This thread is on fire right now. What does everyone think about...

-0L, 1 year out of UG
-Full-ride at local respected TTT in a non-super competitive market
-Wants to go into prosecution, has done research
-History+experience with internships/jobs related to criminal justice
-Actually enjoys school
-realizes that law school is a risk

Am I making a bad choice?
Not a bad choice, but really that this isn't necessarily "free". COA (housing, books, food, entertainment) is generally expensive, maybe $15-25k a yr. Also, the opportunity cost of those three years has to be taken into account. You could have been working, earning a decent salary, and getting a step ahead in terms of advancing in your chosen profession.

You'll have to take this with a grain of salt, since I'm in the exact same position as you and still really unsure about what I want to do (work or law school).
If only you didn't go to law school, you could somehow avoid those pesky cost of living expenses and advancing at your amazing sales job. Silly lawyers.

I do realize that this is disingenuous and that the difference is that you aren't earning an income in law school, whereas you might be if you were not attending.

Please also realize that just because you aren't earning an income in law school doesn't mean that you'd be earning an income in real life either.

Actually, I apologize for being a dick. Sorry. I'm just loling.
In all seriousness, I actually am earning a decent income right now at a Fortune 100 company, in a job that I couldn't see myself doing for more than 3-5 years. Deciding whether or not to go to law school is a pretty tough choice!
well...what do you want to do dude? what attracts you to the legal profession..i mean besides the (potential) money? :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:06 am

--ImageRemoved--

lexdiamonds

New

Post by lexdiamonds » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:19 am

Honestly though, law school is a pretty bad investment for 70% of law grads out there so, given the odds, why would anyone knowingly put themselves in front of a financial firing squad for a less than 1 in 3 shot of making out okay/good ? In all seriousness, I've come across 0L's who never cracked a 3.5 gpa in a social science undergrad major who are CONVINCED that they can somehow make it to the top 10% of the second tier schools they hope to attend and I can't decide whether its hilarious or pathetic.

lexdiamonds

New

Post by lexdiamonds » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:23 am

Larry David wrote:
whuts4lunch wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:Lol I'm sure your practicing adjuncts and formerly practicing profs told you that. FYI the only reason adjuncts are teaching at your school is either to develop their own business, or it's a retirement plan. Your profs all flamed out of biglaw or never where in it.

You ain't learning anything useful, dude.
not talking about professors. talking about family friends, distant relatives, and people I've already done business with
Yea I do have to say 99% of the attorneys from my home town never worked in big law and most of them are well off if not down right loaded
How long ago did most of them graduate, and how extensive a client base do they have?

A better yardstick of how you will make out in a given market is how other recent graduates on average made out. Attorneys who graduated in the 70's and 80's and have decades of experience over you are effectively useless in determining your odds of success.

JPrezy87

Bronze

Post by JPrezy87 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:30 pm

NYC Law wrote:--ImageRemoved--
Cute...but you dint exactly disprove what I said earlier about Mtal versus other posters on this board..

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:37 pm

I said it before and I'll say it again.

MTal has no penis.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 pm

JPrezy87 wrote: Cute...but you dint exactly disprove what I said earlier about Mtal versus other posters on this board..
Oh I think you're confused. At that point I was just disregarding you and moving on to something new.

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Verity wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again.

MTal has no penis.
But he fucks voluptuous black women on the reg

clarified_butter

Bronze

Post by clarified_butter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Yeah, thats an excellent idea...drop out and then have a ton of debt and no degree to show for it.
MTal wrote:If not, DROP OUT NOW.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:14 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
Verity wrote:I said it before and I'll say it again.

MTal has no penis.
But he fucks voluptuous black women on the reg
LOL

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:57 pm

clarified_butter wrote:Yeah, thats an excellent idea...drop out and then have a ton of debt and no degree to show for it.
MTal wrote:If not, DROP OUT NOW.
Would you tell someone with a shitty poker hand to call a big bet on a hand they have no shot of winning because they already committed a ton to the pot?

Dropping out absolutely can be the credited move for a lot of people. I am sure mtal would say it is credited in far more situations than I would, but if a person has a lot of debt and bleak job prospects and can find another job that pays decently, it might be the best move to just cut their losses.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”