Best soft factor

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BeerMaker

Bronze
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Best soft factor

Postby BeerMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:54 pm

You have ever heard of?

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 pm

Olympic gold medal
Writing a bestseller
Being an actual refugee (not just an immigrant)
Founding a successful startup
Having a building at the law school built by and named after your family.

User avatar
jackattack17

Bronze
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby jackattack17 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

nobel prize

User avatar
Larry David

New
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby Larry David » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 pm

sleeping with entire admissions committee and filming it

User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

A disability resulting from a combat injury, especially Special Forces or something really badass.

User avatar
ggibelli

Bronze
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:12 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby ggibelli » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Larry David wrote:sleeping with entire admissions committee and filming it

:lol:

User avatar
BeerMaker

Bronze
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby BeerMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 pm

If I were a hot female, I would surely do the same thing :)

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:36 pm

AA male and D1 athlete. For pure points boost, that's the best. There are more unique softs, but IDK if any gets a bigger boost

User avatar
BeerMaker

Bronze
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby BeerMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 pm

You are probably close. Although I think a Jewish, bisexual, female AA/pacific Islander with 5 yrs WE would get you in to HYS with a 1.8 gpa and a 130 LSAT.

User avatar
Flips88

Diamond
Posts: 15246
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby Flips88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:46 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:AA male and D1 athlete. For pure points boost, that's the best. There are more unique softs, but IDK if any gets a bigger boost

AA, D1 Athlete, Rhodes Scholar

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:AA male and D1 athlete. For pure points boost, that's the best. There are more unique softs, but IDK if any gets a bigger boost

AA, D1 Athlete, Rhodes Scholar

Didn't he go to the NFL?

Also, there was an actual person who came on here with those softs, along with an LSAT in the 170s and a mid 3s gpa. He was really cool and a nice guy.

BeerMaker wrote:You are probably close. Although I think a Jewish, bisexual, female AA/pacific Islander with 5 yrs WE would get you in to HYS with a 1.8 gpa and a 130 LSAT.

No, bisexual isn't a big boost, and usually this person would just be seen as AA female which is weaker than AA male. Also, D1 athlete is way better than 5 yrs WE

User avatar
Flips88

Diamond
Posts: 15246
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby Flips88 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:05 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:AA male and D1 athlete. For pure points boost, that's the best. There are more unique softs, but IDK if any gets a bigger boost

AA, D1 Athlete, Rhodes Scholar

Didn't he go to the NFL?

He got his M.Sc in Medical Anthro first then got drafted by the Titans but was released.

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:34 pm

Flips88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:AA male and D1 athlete. For pure points boost, that's the best. There are more unique softs, but IDK if any gets a bigger boost

AA, D1 Athlete, Rhodes Scholar

Didn't he go to the NFL?

He got his M.Sc in Medical Anthro first then got drafted by the Titans but was released.

that's too bad. I remember the bio ESPN did on him when he was at FSU. He seems like a really great guy.

User avatar
20130312

Gold
Posts: 3816
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:35 pm

BeerMaker wrote:You are probably close. Although I think a Jewish, bisexual, female AA/pacific Islander with 5 yrs WE would get you in to HYS with a 1.8 gpa and a 130 LSAT.

No, bisexual isn't a big boost, and usually this person would just be seen as AA female which is weaker than AA male. Also, D1 athlete is way better than 5 yrs WE


But just think of the PS / DS she could write!

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:You are probably close. Although I think a Jewish, bisexual, female AA/pacific Islander with 5 yrs WE would get you in to HYS with a 1.8 gpa and a 130 LSAT.

No, bisexual isn't a big boost, and usually this person would just be seen as AA female which is weaker than AA male. Also, D1 athlete is way better than 5 yrs WE


But just think of the PS / DS she could write!

maybe. Then again, that person could have a completely normal life, and also, PSs and DSs aren't a very large part of admissions

User avatar
BeerMaker

Bronze
Posts: 232
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:01 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby BeerMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:34 pm

How do you figure an athlete is better than work experience? That is ridiculous!

User avatar
AlanShore

Silver
Posts: 1498
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby AlanShore » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 pm

BeerMaker wrote:How do you figure an athlete is better than work experience? That is ridiculous!

I have both now. Being a D1 athlete and maintaining a very high gpa was much more time consuming and difficult than working. Some work is very difficult, much of it is not.

wildhaggis

Bronze
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:47 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby wildhaggis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:45 pm


User avatar
rinkrat19

Diamond
Posts: 13922
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:46 pm

AlanShore wrote:
BeerMaker wrote:How do you figure an athlete is better than work experience? That is ridiculous!

I have both now. Being a D1 athlete and maintaining a very high gpa was much more time consuming and difficult than working. Some work is very difficult, much of it is not.
Also have both, and concur.

Consider that most people will eventually have a job of some sort. Most people will never be D1 athletes.

User avatar
5ky

Diamond
Posts: 10779
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby 5ky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:49 pm

Of "realistic" softs, I would think military officer would probably be the best.

User avatar
Ernert

Bronze
Posts: 203
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:35 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby Ernert » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:57 pm



Probably the only school that doesn't just list 25th/75th, but absolute bottom and top as well... being under their GPA 0th FTL.

03121202698008

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:58 pm

5ky wrote:Of "realistic" softs, I would think military officer would probably be the best.


? Why only an officer? I actually think i had more relevant experience enlisted. Do you have any clue what most officers do? More suited to an MBA than a JD.

User avatar
5ky

Diamond
Posts: 10779
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby 5ky » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:02 pm

blowhard wrote:
5ky wrote:Of "realistic" softs, I would think military officer would probably be the best.


? Why only an officer? I actually think i had more relevant experience enlisted. Do you have any clue what most officers do? More suited to an MBA than a JD.


Sorry, my terminology isn't great. I meant like what you saw with that Yale link, where they had a platoon leader. I just meant something with leadership experience.

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Best soft factor

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:05 pm

BeerMaker wrote:How do you figure an athlete is better than work experience? That is ridiculous!

how many D1 athletes are in law school? How many ppl with WE are in law school?

03121202698008

Gold
Posts: 2992
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Best soft factor

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

5ky wrote:
blowhard wrote:
5ky wrote:Of "realistic" softs, I would think military officer would probably be the best.


? Why only an officer? I actually think i had more relevant experience enlisted. Do you have any clue what most officers do? More suited to an MBA than a JD.


Sorry, my terminology isn't great. I meant like what you saw with that Yale link, where they had a platoon leader.


My point though. That guy was a ranger and I'm sure a badass. Most PL/Flight commanders are 2nd/1st lieutenants...the lowest two officer ranks. In general, they spend their days apprenticing an older non-commissioned officer (enlisted) learning how to lead.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests