Reckless Driving - APP MISTAKE Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hadisious

Bronze

Reckless Driving - APP MISTAKE

Post by hadisious » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am

So I sent out a few apps the other day without realizing that Reckless Driving is not a "minor traffic offense". I got the ticket 3 years ago but I didn't disclose it because the apps only asked for things beyond minor traffic offenses. It didn't involve alcohol or anything, just 20 mph over the speed limit...

I know, :oops: I'm an idiot. My question now is, what do I do? Should I contact the schools I've sent apps already? Or is this something I'll just clear up if I happen to attend one of those schools. Looking for some advice.

Thanks

hadisious

Bronze

Re: Reckless Driving - APP MISTAKE

Post by hadisious » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:37 pm

shameless bump for advice

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:41 pm

Figure out which schools' apps asked for disclosure of the offense, and contact those schools to see what they would like you to do. It's likely that they will want you to email them a short addendum to include in your application file.

The offense won't kill you, but failing to disclose very well could, especially come time to pass the bar.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:46 pm

Send an addendum attachment that explains the offense in an email to the admissions dep'ts of schools that require an addendum. Don't say explicitly that you didn't realize that RD wasn't a minor traffic offense--just say that you didn't attach the requisite addendum for your traffic ticket from three years ago, and that it is attached and please add it to your file thank you very much.

Don't wait until after you've been admitted, that's a C&F issue waiting to happen.

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:59 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:Send an addendum attachment that explains the offense in an email to the admissions dep'ts of schools that require an addendum. Don't say explicitly that you didn't realize that RD wasn't a minor traffic offense--just say that you didn't attach the requisite addendum for your traffic ticket from three years ago, and that it is attached and please add it to your file thank you very much.

Don't wait until after you've been admitted, that's a C&F issue waiting to happen.
What about the fact that I answered "No" to all the C&F questions? Would adding the addenda to my file be enough? Or would I need to clarify that the answer to the C&F question was wrong. I'm thinking I should just call the admissions office for each school and ask them.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

hadisious wrote:
crumpetsandtea wrote:Send an addendum attachment that explains the offense in an email to the admissions dep'ts of schools that require an addendum. Don't say explicitly that you didn't realize that RD wasn't a minor traffic offense--just say that you didn't attach the requisite addendum for your traffic ticket from three years ago, and that it is attached and please add it to your file thank you very much.

What about the fact that I answered "No" to all the C&F questions? Would adding the addenda to my file be enough? Or would I need to clarify that the answer to the C&F question was wrong. I'm thinking I should just call the admissions office for each school and ask them.
If I were you I'd just say something short like:

While filling out my application to X Law School, I mistakenly marked 'No' on question # in the [NAME OF SECTION] section when I should have marked 'Yes'. I would like to request that my application be amended to reflect this. Attached is the requisite addendum explaining the offense. Thank you so much for your time and patience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”