153 LSAT Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Gov2408
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:38 am

153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby Gov2408 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:59 am

My LSAC GPA is 3.92 (3.94), and my LSAT score is 153.

I plan on applying to Drake (25% LSAT: 153, 75% LSAT: 158)(25% GPA:3.06, 75% GPA: 3.64)

I have always performed poorly on standardized tests (21 on ACT), should I include an LSAT Addendum?

Thanks!

hobojarpen
Posts: 204
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby hobojarpen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I performed poorly on my first two LSATs (160 and below), but I worked hard and broke 170 on the October LSAT. Unless time is an issue, there's no harm in trying to improve your score as much as you can, especially if you've only taken it once.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:00 pm

Yes.

pacers3177
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby pacers3177 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:31 pm

Include an addendum. I had a similar LSAC GPA, a 151 lsat, and got into IUB with some money. Worth a shot.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby Opie » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:42 pm

It looks to me like Drake is getting a lot fewer apps than they usually do. I would get that app in ASAFP. They may need your GPA to maintain their numbers.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:18 pm

As I wrote above, an addendum will strengthen your application, but you can apply to much higher ranked law schools. #23 Illinois had almost two dozen students last fall who matriculated with LSAT scores of 153 or lower (including a few 146s).

Try Iowa, Indiana & Illinois. Your GPA will get attention when accompanied by a convincing standardized test score addendum.

WSJ_Law
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:33 am

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby WSJ_Law » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Enjoy Illinois. If you want CA enjoy Golden Gate, People's or Boalt(tt)

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby shock259 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 pm

Retake and don't waste that GPA. You've done the hard part of getting a great GPA in undergrad. The LSAT is relatively easy on the scale of things, even if you aren't good at taking tests. Everyone can learn. I started at about that score and ended PTing at 170. It just takes patience, dedication, and resolve.

But it cannot be overstated how important it is for you to retake. Hell, even if you can raise it by 10 points, you could probably go to Drake for free. That's like $120,000 for improving a test score.

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:32 am

shock259 wrote:Retake and don't waste that GPA. You've done the hard part of getting a great GPA in undergrad. The LSAT is relatively easy on the scale of things, even if you aren't good at taking tests. Everyone can learn. I started at about that score and ended PTing at 170. It just takes patience, dedication, and resolve.

But it cannot be overstated how important it is for you to retake. Hell, even if you can raise it by 10 points, you could probably go to Drake for free. That's like $120,000 for improving a test score.


+1, In fact, Drake may even PAY YOU. I don't have hard numbers about who actually takes their Opperman Scholarship, but my estimation from looking at LSN and other sources is that those people are somewhere in the 165 range on LSAT. That's full ride PLUS $10k a year. And you get to go to exclusive networking events. Plus at that range you can go to Iowa or another better school if you're not set on Drake.

Retake is pretty much always TCR. Why didn't I retake? :?

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 am

Opie wrote:
shock259 wrote:Retake and don't waste that GPA. You've done the hard part of getting a great GPA in undergrad. The LSAT is relatively easy on the scale of things, even if you aren't good at taking tests. Everyone can learn. I started at about that score and ended PTing at 170. It just takes patience, dedication, and resolve.

But it cannot be overstated how important it is for you to retake. Hell, even if you can raise it by 10 points, you could probably go to Drake for free. That's like $120,000 for improving a test score.


+1, In fact, Drake may even PAY YOU. I don't have hard numbers about who actually takes their Opperman Scholarship, but my estimation from looking at LSN and other sources is that those people are somewhere in the 165 range on LSAT. That's full ride PLUS $10k a year. And you get to go to exclusive networking events. Plus at that range you can go to Iowa or another better school if you're not set on Drake.

Retake is pretty much always TCR. Why didn't I retake? :?


ETA: Iowa took a 155/3.74 last year. Albeit and extremely well-qualified person other than the 155, but still. Somewhere around 160 people start getting in pretty reliably.

ETAA: Weird, why did that quote?

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

Should I retake? :shock:

User avatar
Opie
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Should I retake? :shock:


Everyone should. Even 180s because you don't have three 180s. :wink:

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: 153 LSAT Addendum?

Postby 20130312 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:44 am

Opie wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:Should I retake? :shock:


Everyone should. Even 180s because you don't have three 180s. :wink:


Haha, awesome. I'm still a little sore that I was only 1 (or 2?) points away from being eligible to be a TestMasters instructor.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], hwwong, Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests