admissions checking your social networking pages

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
charliep

admissions checking your social networking pages

Postby charliep » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:45 am

i heard some schools check applicant's social networking pages. how worried should i be?

Tim0thy222

Re: admissions checking your social networking pages

Postby Tim0thy222 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:47 am

charliep wrote:i heard some schools check applicant's social networking pages. how worried should i be?

Can't you just set your Facebook (assuming this is what you mean by "social networking pages") to private and solve that problem?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:48 am

charliep wrote:i heard some schools check applicant's social networking pages. how worried should i be?

Set your shit to private and realize that as an adult aspiring to enter professional school your social networking pages should already be sanitized to a degree where potential employers wouldn't find any of the content objectionable.

charliep

Postby charliep » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:50 am

i only have a twitter account, and it is possible to turn on a privacy setting to protect tweets, but all tweets prior to enabling the privacy setting will still be public.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:51 am

Don't put shit that makes you look like an asshole or a moron or a criminal on the internet. It's really not that difficult.

charliep

Postby charliep » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:52 am

right. i mean there isn't anything gross, but i do retweet some very politically liberal articles and tweets, and i just dont know if anyone would be put off by that

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:53 am

charliep wrote:right. i mean there isn't anything gross, but i do retweet some very politically liberal articles and tweets, and i just dont know if anyone would be put off by that

Yeah, liberals are real oppressed professionally and adcomms are mostly raging conservatives.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:54 am

charliep wrote:right. i mean there isn't anything gross, but i do retweet some very politically liberal articles and tweets, and i just dont know if anyone would be put off by that
That's pretty unlikely to hurt. Unless you're applying to Liberty or something.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:27 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

Set your shit to private and realize that as an adult aspiring to enter professional school your social networking pages should already be sanitized to a degree where potential employers wouldn't find any of the content objectionable.

+1

It won't exactly come as a shock to adcomms that a law school applicant has political opinions. As long as you're not advocating or promoting anything illegal or particularly extreme (as Bildungsroman said, "objectionable"), you should be fine.

But, yes, it would be prudent to set both your Facebook and Twitter profiles to "private."

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:54 am

Regardless of privacy settings, nothing on the internet is ever actually "private". You sold your soul to Facebook when you signed up, so don't put incriminating stuff on your Facebook/Twitter and look like a jackass because you think only your "friends" can see it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”