Updating CV/Application

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
7ate9

Updating CV/Application

Postby 7ate9 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

To cut to the chase, is it worth emailing the admissions offices to ask for them to update my CV/Application reflecting new employment effective January 2012?

More specifically, I am going to be adjunct faculty (i.e., a non-tenure track teaching position, normally considered the rank of instructor among those in academia) teaching at a college. My responsibilities will echo those of regular faculty: designing a course syllabus, preparing lesson plans, lecturing and instructing on course topics, assigning papers and exams, advising students. The course, a subject within the humanities, will include substantial writing assignments, which I will critique/grade.

Thanks for any and all assistance/suggestions.

paul34

Re: Updating CV/Application

Postby paul34 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:14 pm

paul34 wrote:Most schools won't mind. For some schools, you'll have to send a hard copy via snail mail (e.g., Harvard).

The "most" is important - a few schools do mind. Emory states that they "strongly discourage" sending anything after your application is complete, for example. I guess they would prefer to avoid any extra reading.

I would suggest checking each school's website. Your new job seems like something that would impress admissions reps, so definitely send it if they make it clear they don't mind.

7ate9

Postby 7ate9 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 am

AntipodeanPhil wrote:
paul34 wrote:Most schools won't mind. For some schools, you'll have to send a hard copy via snail mail (e.g., Harvard).

The "most" is important - a few schools do mind. Emory states that they "strongly discourage" sending anything after your application is complete, for example. I guess they would prefer to avoid any extra reading.

I would suggest checking each school's website. Your new job seems like something that would impress admissions reps, so definitely send it if they make it clear they don't mind.

Thanks for the suggestion. From what I recall, but will double-check, none of the schools that I am applying to are against receiving additional information.

Would it be better, in your opinion, to wait until I officially begin the job in January? I can easily just send them the information now and make it clear that I will begin teaching in January.

paul34

Postby paul34 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:58 pm

I don't see the harm in just letting them know now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”