LSAT addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
melj

LSAT addendum

Postby melj » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:31 am

Hello,

I'm considering writing an addendum for my LSAT score, and would greatly appreciate input on whether or not it would be worth it.

I studied independently for the LSAT, and my practice tests were consistently in the low to mid 170s. A week and a half before the October test, however, I contracted shingles. It began clearing up by the time of the test, but it meant that I spent the final days of preparation in intense pain and, ultimately, on vicodin. The scores I got on practice tests during this time dropped, the lowest being 166. On the actual test I scored 168.

I believe I can score higher than 168 and that shingles threw a wrench in the home stretch of my preparation. I considered taking the December test, but since I am still an undergraduate and the test would be right during my finals week, I doubted that I would be able to perform better when I would not be able to devote nearly as much time to preparation as I did before the October test.

Do you think an addendum is worth it if I explain all this, or will the people reading my application just say I should have taken the December test?

Thank you so much in advance for any input!

FryBreadPower

Re: LSAT addendum

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:43 am

There are very few reasons LSAT Addendums should be seriously considered. This however, is certainly one of them. Having had my girlfriend describe shingles to me I can't imagine taking the test with them. You should definitely write the addendum.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:49 pm

I don't find opiates impair ones ability to perform academically. Maybe people on here think they do, but you can hit your PT average on heroin, no reason you can't hit it on vicodin. How much were you on? If it were less than 20mg, you barely would have a buzz. I know everyone has a different tolerance level, but I can't imagine you would be on a high dose for shingles. I had shingles when I was younger, and wasn't on any pain medicine.

I've actually done better academically when on Opana/heroin. It helped me focus, concentrate, and study. I wrote some of my best papers on various opiates and Xanax. Not proud of it, but those types of drug don't impair academic functioning. The only 4.0 I got was the semester I did the most amount of opiates, rarely showed up to class or did assignments sober, but did really well in class and practice tests. I took practice tests on heroin and did better than my actual test, which I took completely sober. I really have a hard time believing that vicodin caused you to score lower. I hear that a lot of people don't hit their PT on the LSAT.

Don't make excuses, I highly doubt you were nodding off on VICODIN. You would have had to taken a large amount orally to even get that strung out. If your pain were that serious, you would have been on Opana, Oxy OP, roxy, or something with a little kick. Vicodin is weak.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:51 pm

89vision wrote:I don't find opiates impair ones ability to perform academically. Maybe people on here think they do, but you can hit your PT average on heroin, no reason you can't hit it on vicodin. How much were you on? If it were less than 20mg, you barely would have a buzz. I know everyone has a different tolerance level, but I can't imagine you would be on a high dose for shingles. I had shingles when I was younger, and wasn't on any pain medicine.

I've actually done better academically when on Opana/heroin. It helped me focus, concentrate, and study. I wrote some of my best papers on various opiates and Xanax. Not proud of it, but those types of drug don't impair academic functioning. The only 4.0 I got was the semester I did the most amount of opiates, rarely showed up to class or did assignments sober, but did really well in class and practice tests. I took practice tests on heroin and did better than my actual test, which I took completely sober. I really have a hard time believing that vicodin caused you to score lower. I hear that a lot of people don't hit their PT on the LSAT.

Don't make excuses, I highly doubt you were nodding off on VICODIN. You would have had to taken a large amount orally to even get that strung out. If your pain were that serious, you would have been on Opana, Oxy OP, roxy, or something with a little kick. Vicodin is weak.

lol....wat....

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:56 pm

I would disclose that you were ill, but a 168 is a good score regardless. If you are aiming for HYS though, even an addendum won't get you in so you should retake. But if you are aiming for T14 or maybe even T10 the addendum might help you out.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:00 pm

The admissions officers will wonder why you didn't retake, if you really believe that your score isn't reflective of your abilities. It would be much stronger if you were able to say "...which is why I am re-taking the LSAT December 2011/Feb 2012"

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
89vision wrote:

lol....wat....

Guess you've never blown Opana or shot heroin?

Anyone with knowledge about drugs will think your addendum is BS. Unless you took a MASSIVE amount of Vicodin, think over 50mg, it would not have impacted your performance. That's just an excuse.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:03 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:The admissions officers will wonder why you didn't retake, if you really believe that your score isn't reflective of your abilities. It would be much stronger if you were able to say "...which is why I am re-taking the LSAT December 2011/Feb 2012"

yeah, do this. Apply, but tell them you're retaking

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 pm

You were taking it up until the test, and noticed your scores dropping, so why didn't you change the date of the test? That doesn't make sense.

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:10 pm

89vision wrote:Guess you've never blown Opana or shot heroin?

lol. No, I definitely have not.

lrslayer

Postby lrslayer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:12 pm

I thought this sort of addendum would be for someone who took multiple tests and why the highest is most reflective of their potential. think 154, 155, 172. i don't think its for someone to explain why their one score is low (168 is not low btw) and why they don't want to retake. i wouldn't do this addendum, it will make you look bad. lots of people take the lsat during finals and midterms btw. you should either retake or just apply happily (addendum free) with the 168.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:21 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:
89vision wrote:Guess you've never blown Opana or shot heroin?

lol. No, I definitely have not.

It's better than crumpets and tea.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”