Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Has anyone else had this happen before. I'm currently a 1L and sent my transcripts to LSAC in the summer of 2010, but I just received a letter from LSAC yesterday. The letter, dated Nov. 1, 2011, says they accidentally omitted an NC from my LSAC GPA, which gave me a GPA .13 higher than what it should have been. They gave me a 3.7 when in actuality it should have been a 3.57. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'm assuming that it really doesn't matter since I already started school. I'm just glad that LSAC is slow as molasses and took well over a year to fix this.
Last edited by charlesxavier on Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:37 pm

edit
Last edited by TrojanHopeful on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:44 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Has anyone else had this happen before. I'm currently a 1L and sent my transcripts to LSAC in the summer of 2010, but I just received a letter from LSAC yesterday. The letter, dated Nov. 1, 2011, says they accidentally omitted an NC from my LSAC GPA, which gave me a GPA .13 higher than what it should have been. They gave me a 3.7 when in actuality it should have been a 3.57. I noticed this when I was applying but figured I must have misunderstood the whole NC thing. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'm assuming that it really doesn't matter since I already started school. I'm just glad that LSAC is slow as molasses and took well over a year to fix this.


1) Notify your school ASAP.

2) Don't admit the bold when notifying them.


Is it really necessary to notify them? The letter states that they will notify the school if "the admission year in which the original report was sent is still active". I'll probably just send an email to LSAC first to see what they recommend.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:45 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:Has anyone else had this happen before. I'm currently a 1L and sent my transcripts to LSAC in the summer of 2010, but I just received a letter from LSAC yesterday. The letter, dated Nov. 1, 2011, says they accidentally omitted an NC from my LSAC GPA, which gave me a GPA .13 higher than what it should have been. They gave me a 3.7 when in actuality it should have been a 3.57. I noticed this when I was applying but figured I must have misunderstood the whole NC thing. Has anyone else had an issue like this? I'm assuming that it really doesn't matter since I already started school. I'm just glad that LSAC is slow as molasses and took well over a year to fix this.


1) Notify your school ASAP.

2) Don't admit the bold when notifying them.

This is pretty good advice, though I would admit to the misunderstanding. Your goal at this point is to be certain that it's not going to come back to bite you on the ass for C&F. Let your school help you figure that out.

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:09 pm

IAFG wrote:Your goal at this point is to be certain that it's not going to come back to bite you on the ass for C&F.


This is exactly what you need to be concerned about.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby ThreeRivers » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:02 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:
IAFG wrote:Your goal at this point is to be certain that it's not going to come back to bite you on the ass for C&F.


This is exactly what you need to be concerned about.

This, there is no chance the school will kick you out if you told them what you told us... Just notify your school about everything and there will be 0 to lose. If you hide it, then you have a ton to lose

User avatar
Gail
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby Gail » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:03 pm

Erase what you wrote about noticing it on this board. (Other posters please do the same)

I don't know if it will be that big of a deal for C&F if you act now, especially since LSAC admitted that it was their mistake.


I also don't think that your school will care that much either. You're already there. I hope this doesn't create a lot of complications for you.

User avatar
charlesxavier
Posts: 444
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:51 pm

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Gail wrote:Erase what you wrote about noticing it on this board. (Other posters please do the same)

I don't know if it will be that big of a deal for C&F if you act now, especially since LSAC admitted that it was their mistake.


I also don't think that your school will care that much either. You're already there. I hope this doesn't create a lot of complications for you.


I let them know. I doubt it will really matter to them because LSAC doesn't even find it necessary to notify them. Thanks for the advice.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:37 pm

It would have been a C&F issue if you accepted a scholarship which noted your LSAC GPA.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Letter from LSAC notifying me of GPA Mistake

Postby rayiner » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:55 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
Gail wrote:Erase what you wrote about noticing it on this board. (Other posters please do the same)

I don't know if it will be that big of a deal for C&F if you act now, especially since LSAC admitted that it was their mistake.


I also don't think that your school will care that much either. You're already there. I hope this doesn't create a lot of complications for you.


I let them know. I doubt it will really matter to them because LSAC doesn't even find it necessary to notify them. Thanks for the advice.


C&F finds out about everything. It's SRS BSNS.

Just be totally up front with the school. They can amend your application to note the discrepancy and that will placate the C&F committee. The truth in this case "I figured I didn't understand how NC's were computed" is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why you noticed but didn't do anything about it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], cavalier1138, vorely and 3 guests