2 Very Good LORs, Should I get a third?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Milo42

2 Very Good LORs, Should I get a third?

Postby Milo42 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:47 pm

I have two very good LORs, one from my senior thesis advisor, and one from the professor I did a research assistantship for. However I was also a student representative on an administrative panel (so non-academic), and the director became pretty familiar with me. She always had good things to say.

I know it's kind of late for this cycle, but I'm taking the Dec LSAT anyway, would it be advisable to ask her for one? It would give her about 2 months. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT: A simpler way to phrase my question: is it too late in the cycle to ask for a LOR, given that my app will be sent in January anyway?

yuzu

Re: 2 Very Good LORs, Should I get a third?

Postby yuzu » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:08 pm

I think two months is OK, but unless some of your schools ask for a third recommendation for some reason, I would leave it at two recommendations.

Milo42

Postby Milo42 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:15 pm

yuzu wrote:I think two months is OK, but unless some of your schools ask for a third recommendation for some reason, I would leave it at two recommendations.

Thanks for your reply.

What would be the reason for leaving it at two? Anyone? I'm running low on time..

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:04 am

Milo42 wrote:
yuzu wrote:I think two months is OK, but unless some of your schools ask for a third recommendation for some reason, I would leave it at two recommendations.

Thanks for your reply.

What would be the reason for leaving it at two? Anyone? I'm running low on time..

most schools only require 2 and some require only 1...send in 2, leave the third as a reserve in case u get waitlisted or held and need to send in additional stuff........besides, the general rule is that ad comms hate applications that make them do a lot of readings..u r fine with 2 letters

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:36 am

No. The reason some schools require 2, some require 1, and some require zero, is that on the whole schools don't even pay attention to these. The things they do pay attention to are LSAT and GPA. Work on those, don't spend time thinking about LORs. They don't matter. At all. Only LSAT and GPA do.

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:44 am

Don't get a third. If it's not of the same quality as the other two, adcomms will notice. It also can subtly diminish the value of the other two because you're diluting the impact of your LORs.

Also, LORs in general aren't that important, so adding another LOR won't increase your chances much, if at all.

89vision

Postby 89vision » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:31 pm

How do people know if they have "very good" recommendations? Do you read them?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”