how does northwestern WE work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jumister5889

how does northwestern WE work?

Postby jumister5889 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Hi im graduating december 2011. If i start working right away does that mean i have 1 year work experience as far as northwestern WE works?

Kring345

Re: how does northwestern WE work?

Postby Kring345 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:39 pm

If you were to apply next fall/winter? If so, probably. But I dont think they look at an app and think, "this guy only worked for 11 months, DENYYYYY!" Not that cut and dry dude. Come on, think about it.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:44 pm

you mean for the C/O 2015? That's not really a full year. I think either way, you'll need to have solid numbers to make up for it.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:28 pm

I dunno, he may get points for scoring a job immediately upon graduation. 8)

Is the NU WE requirement really all that for the regular JD program? Like you'll get rejected at median? I know I should stop bitching about how stupid the interview was, but they were completely unprepared to discuss my work experience. How much can it really matter?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:32 pm

ahduth wrote:I dunno, he may get points for scoring a job immediately upon graduation. 8)

Is the NU WE requirement really all that for the regular JD program? Like you'll get rejected at median? I know I should stop bitching about how stupid the interview was, but they were completely unprepared to discuss my work experience. How much can it really matter?

it's pretty solid. but if you're decent at one and way above the other median, you should be fine

crumpetsandtea

Postby crumpetsandtea » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:33 pm

ahduth wrote:I dunno, he may get points for scoring a job immediately upon graduation. 8)

It sucks that you had a bad interview, but NU's class is about 95% comprised of people with at least 1 year of WE. I believe 75% of the new class has 2 years or more. That's a pretty significant chunk, which indicates that it is a factor that they prioritize.

And FWIW, my interview was awesome and revolved primarily around my WE and experience in UG with non-profits, so it might just be that you had an unprepared interviewer. Did you do it on campus or off campus? I'd guess that if you were speaking with an alumni member, then they might have been too busy or didn't care enough to plan for the interview. That isn't exactly indicative of the whole school's attitude towards WE in the admissions process, though.

OP -- AFAIK, 1 year of FT post grad experience is enough to be considered WE to NU. (:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:40 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:

It sucks that you had a bad interview, but NU's class is about 95% comprised of people with at least 1 year of WE. I believe 75% of the new class has 2 years or more. That's a pretty significant chunk, which indicates that it is a factor that they prioritize.

And FWIW, my interview was awesome and revolved primarily around my WE and experience in UG with non-profits, so it might just be that you had an unprepared interviewer. Did you do it on campus or off campus? I'd guess that if you were speaking with an alumni member, then they might have been too busy or didn't care enough to plan for the interview. That isn't exactly indicative of the whole school's attitude towards WE in the admissions process, though.

OP -- AFAIK, 1 year of FT post grad experience is enough to be considered WE to NU. (:

No, it was on campus with some HR/admissions drone. My impression was that people had better luck with alumni members, but since I lived in Chicago, I think that wasn't an option for me (not sure). I just got a bad interviewer - they hadn't even read the resume before I showed up. Waste of time.

Kring345

Postby Kring345 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:35 pm

crumpetsandtea wrote:nd FWIW, my interview was awesome and revolved primarily around my WE and experience in UG with non-profits, so it might just be that you had an unprepared interviewer. Did you do it on campus or off campus? I'd guess that if you were speaking with an alumni member, then they might have been too busy or didn't care enough to plan for the interview. That isn't exactly indicative of the whole school's attitude towards WE in the admissions process, though.

+1 I had a great experience. Alumni working as assistant attorney general. He was well prepared (and so was I!).

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:41 pm

It's the interview that doesn't matter, not the WE.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”