Optional Essay Question for Michigan App Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I email a Why Michigan?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 17

tmatsushita

New

Optional Essay Question for Michigan App

Post by tmatsushita » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:53 am

I submitted my U Michigan app last week with a DS (Essay 7) and an LSAT Addendum (Essay 3). I know the Why Michigan essay is known to be very important, but I since I already had two optional essays (which is the max), I didn't bother writing it.

However, reading through the TLS forums, I have found mixed responses regarding whether an LSAT Addendum would count as one of the optional essays. Some people say it counts as Essay 3, but some people say that if it is short, which it is in my case, it wouldn't necessarily count. If it does not count, then that would mean that I could have sent a Why Michigan and DS with an LSAT Addendum.

Again, I have already submitted my app last week. But since I know the Why Michigan is very important, I am wondering if I should write one and email it to the adcoms. What do you think? I wouldn't be able to make an exceptionally strong Why Michigan, but I think I can make a decent one if I decide to write one. And since I am kind of a borderline applicant, I need to increase my chances as much as possible.

FYI, I took the LSAT 3 times (166, 162, 169).
My GPA is 3.65.

Thanks!

Strange

Silver

Re: Optional Essay Question for Michigan App

Post by Strange » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:57 pm

I left my LSAT addendum out because Michigan takes the highest score anyway. I don't think it's necessary. DS and Why? should be fine.

I also called them and they said they "recommend" you only answer two of the essays, so there's some latitude there.

tmatsushita

New

Post by tmatsushita » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:36 am

If I choose to write a Why Michigan and email it to the adcoms, how should I write it without making it complicated. That I would like to send this attachment (Why Michigan) to replace the LSAT addendum?

FastForwardMe

New

Post by FastForwardMe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:57 am

Definitely worth sending the Why Michigan app.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:11 am

It can be helpful but is definitely not required. If you have nothing worthwhile to say, don't send it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:49 pm

I would definitely do it. I probably wouldn't have even sent the LSAT addendum. It looks like you're a 166-169 kind of person and you had a bad day in the middle.

tmatsushita

New

Post by tmatsushita » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:20 am

Thanks for all the responses. You guys have successfully convinced me to write a Why Michigan.

BUT LAST QUESTION (hopefully):
The Why Michigan essay consists of two parts: why Michigan and why me. I know what I want to write about why I want to go to Michigan, but I'm having severe difficulties thinking of what I have to offer Michigan. The only thing I can think about is contributing to its diversity, but I have already written explained all that in my DS. Can you guys give me any examples? Or what you (those that have written it) wrote about?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”