T14 Scholarships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MobyDick

T14 Scholarships

Postby MobyDick » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:19 pm

Do most merit-based scholarship offers come with admission to a given T14 law school? Or do many of the schools, like Duke, have a separate scholarship process?

If the latter, which schools? And does the admitted student have to do anything to be eligable for these scholarships?

rinkrat19

Re: T14 Scholarships

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Only speaking for Northwestern: scholarships are awarded months after admission. There is a separate scholarship application with (last year) three brief essay questions. You also have to fill out FAFSA and NeedAccess.

duckmoney

Postby duckmoney » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:40 pm

It completely depends on the school. Some will tell you with admission, some will wait until later in the cycle. Some (like UVA) will tell some applicants with admission and others later in the cycle. Some will make you fill out needaccess to be eligible for merit scholarships, others will not.

Browse through pages on LSN to get a better idea for each individual school. Some users will post detailed info about their scholarship offers.

Here's what I remember from last year for schools I applied to:

HYS - do not offer merit scholarship. Offer fairly generous need based aid though.
Columbia - offers merit scholarship with admission, but only gives out a handful of scholarships. Only offers full and half rides.
Chicago - offer came a about a month after admission.
NYU - offer came out in march.
UVA - told some applicants up front, told others in march.
Duke - offer came out in March
Cornell - offer came out in April. I didn't get admitted until late march so I don't know if they had earlier offers or not.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 pm

The only ones that I know of that come with admissions are named scholarships at Columbia.

This is somewhat offset by the fact that Columbia seems to delay their first round of admissions decisions much longer than other schools.

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 pm

I looked through the Georgetown admissions thread for the last cycle and couldn't seem to work out when they give out their (few) merit-based scholarships - except that it's not at the same time as admissions decisions.

Does anyone have any more specific information?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:11 pm

AntipodeanPhil wrote:I looked through the Georgetown admissions thread for the last cycle and couldn't seem to work out when they give out their (few) merit-based scholarships - except that it's not at the same time as admissions decisions.

Does anyone have any more specific information?

GULC is one of the first to admit people RD and one of the last to give out scholarship information. They didn't even make the requisite forms available until February IIRC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”