Colorado App Major Concern Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hadisious

Bronze

Colorado App Major Concern

Post by hadisious » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Filling out my applications and this is what it says for the personal statement:
At Colorado Law, we seek students who advance our core values of character, diversity, leadership and commitment to service. Explain how you can contribute to any of these goals. In addition, please explain your reasons for applying to law school. Your essay should be double-spaced and not exceed 1,000 words.

You may also provide information, in a separate statement, regarding any other factors that you think may assist in the Admission Committee's evaluation of your application, such as: background information; experiences, talents or special interests; and any challenges or adversities you have overcome.
My concern is that my personal statement basically reads like the "separate statement". I've got a lot of good feedback and I think I've got a great statement, but will it matter that it doesn't directly address my reasons for applying to law school, etc? It talks about my experiences and adversities I've overcome; it's basically a diversity statement that speaks to my background. Are they going to be very strict about this?

I'm kinda freaking out because I wanted to get my application out this week. I almost applied last year and the application was different. These two questions were combined into one, so this kind of threw me for a loop when I saw it.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

tl;dr Are they asking for something different than your typical personal statement here? Or am I just reading too deep?

hadisious

Bronze

Re: Colorado App Major Concern

Post by hadisious » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 am

bump :oops:

Alright so I've calmed down a little and maybe this isn't a MAJOR concern. I'm just a bit worried because my personal statement isn't about why I want to study law. It touches on that, but only briefly. Either way, I would really like some advice/outside opinion on this. Thanks everybody.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:28 am

"... in addition, please explain your reasons for applying to law school." This is a very clear instruction.

hadisious

Bronze

Post by hadisious » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:37 am

Sigh, this is what I was afraid of. They changed this since last year when I almost applied and it kind of caught me off guard. Reasons for law school was not a requirement. Completely my fault but hurts none the less. I suppose I can try to work something into what I've already got but then I couldn't use it in it's entirety for the supplemental statement.

:cry:

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I just used my regular statement, but my whole statement was about why I wanted to study law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”