Serious typo...panic

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
poultry

Serious typo...panic

Postby poultry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:52 pm

I made an egregious typo on the online app for my top choice school. It is part of the application form where you have to type in some information on academic honors. I regret a lot that I didn't first type in a word and run spell checking....What should I do now? It's not like a typo in you personal statement for which you can request to update a document. I am thinking..is there anyway to cancel the whole app (request a withdrawal from the school) and then resubmit the whole thing? I look forward to your input! Thank you a lot!

law4vus

Re: Serious typo...panic

Postby law4vus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:53 pm

Your resume will probably be more important for academic honors.

Unless you replaced something with a curse word, I think you're fine. lol

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

How egregious was it? I mean, I had a typo on a resume where I said "shit" instead of "shift" to describe responsibilities at my retail job, and although I failed to correct it, I was still accepted most places I applied to and was not outright rejected anywhere.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:56 pm

Some TLSers helped me with this one as well in a previous post. The general consensus seems to be that one or two typos won't kill you... so long as you didn't swap a school's name

poultry

Postby poultry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Last edited by poultry on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:13 pm

poultry wrote:No curse word involved..I put "degined" when I meant "designed"..it is so random and stupid. My numbers makes HYS a reachable reach...now I think I just ruin it all...Seriously, can I pull out the whole app and resubmit?

Calm down. This isn't as egregious as you think and, like someone said above, it's more about your resume. So long as you didn't write something off-color or, worse, address the wrong school, you're fine.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:21 pm

cinephile wrote:How egregious was it? I mean, I had a typo on a resume where I said "shit" instead of "shift" to describe responsibilities at my retail job, and although I failed to correct it, I was still accepted most places I applied to and was not outright rejected anywhere.

Lol.

Samara

Postby Samara » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:59 pm

cinephile wrote:How egregious was it? I mean, I had a typo on a resume where I said "shit" instead of "shift" to describe responsibilities at my retail job, and although I failed to correct it, I was still accepted most places I applied to and was not outright rejected anywhere.

TBF, the typo probably described the duties more accurately, no?

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 pm

Xanax.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:06 pm

You might have seen my thread in which I accidently sent a "Why Notre Dame" essay that contained "Norte Dame" about 4 or 5 times.... saying how interested I am in the school (which I actually am) while spelling it wrong is 99999 times worse than this lol

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:32 am

I wouldn't worry about one or two errors. If there are multiple errors in one place you should send the schools an updated version.

I had a problem where some "a's" got erased (I accidentally pasted an old version in my 'awards and honors' which was half complete sentences...) I sent all of the schools an updated version and they seemed cool with it.

I realized I made a couple of minor italicization/caps errors in some places. Idk how this happened, I'm usually so anal but I guess you look at something so many times you become blind. Needless to say, I think it happens to a lot of people. Don't sweat it. They read so many applications they may not notice. For me, I feel like they may because I already have the attachment and now multiple errors. I don't know... Still minor stuff though, all in all. If they see you are a strong writer overall, I don't think it will be too big of a deal.

*I edited this cause I'm being paranoid about what specific, self-identifying stuff I write on here at the momento.*

danielhay11

Postby danielhay11 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:44 am

+1 to just about everyone.

I'd only worry about typos if it is a "big" word. For example, remember when Sarah Palin tweeted "refudiate" when she meant "repudiate." She didn't look dumb because she misspelled the word; she looked dumb because she was clearly stretching for a word that was not in her vocabulary. Same rule applies here. If you wrote "paradime" instead of "paradigm" or "mercureal" instead of "mercurial," then you would risk coming off as ignorant. I think most adcomm members will give you the benefit of the doubt though with a word like "designed."

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:18 am

danielhay11 wrote:+1 to just about everyone.

I'd only worry about typos if it is a "big" word. For example, remember when Sarah Palin tweeted "refudiate" when she meant "repudiate." She didn't look dumb because she misspelled the word; she looked dumb because she was clearly stretching for a word that was not in her vocabulary. Same rule applies here. If you wrote "paradime" instead of "paradigm" or "mercureal" instead of "mercurial," then you would risk coming off as ignorant. I think most adcomm members will give you the benefit of the doubt though with a word like "designed."

Good point.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:23 am

At least you didn't claim to be a Roads Scholar.

coldshoulder

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:52 am

poultry wrote:No curse word involved..I put "degined" when I meant "designed"..it is so random and stupid. My numbers makes HYS a reachable reach...now I think I just ruin it all...Seriously, can I pull out the whole app and resubmit?

law4vus wrote:Your resume will probably be more important for academic honors.

Unless you replaced something with a curse word, I think you're fine. lol

Troll

sandwiches5000

Postby sandwiches5000 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:18 pm

danielhay11 wrote:+1 to just about everyone.

This. Yes.

fingerscrossedxx

Postby fingerscrossedxx » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:25 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:At least you didn't claim to be a Roads Scholar.

Hahaha, this actually made me LOL.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”