Resume advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
leche

Resume advice

Postby leche » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Working on the "employment" section, and all of my employment has either been as an intern or as a server/bartender. Not great, but it's what I'm working with...so two questions:

1. I don't need to expand upon what I do as a bartender, do I? Isn't that self-explanatory?
2. Both of my internships have been for companies unrelated to law that I seriously doubt any adcom will recognize - should I explain what the companies do? How detailed should I get about my assignments and responsibilities, considering this the only mildly impressive part of my employment section?

Thanks in advance.

paul34

Re: Resume advice

Postby paul34 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:34 pm

1. You should probably include relevant details so that it's not entirely sparse i.e. how many hours a week did you work at that job? How many customers did your restaurant serve on a regular basis?

2. Most people's WE is unrelated to law. You shouldn't describe what the companies do; but rather, what you did during your time with the company. And you can at least make something somewhat impressive if you use active language and show that you made a tangible impact on the company/other individuals during your time working there.

annyong

Postby annyong » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:38 pm

The point of expanding on the employment in the resume should focus on skills required - thus, I would expect you don't need to explain what you did as a bartender so much as maybe the customer interaction you had, etc. that developed important skills. Same with the internships. You can stress and expand on those more so than the bartending, but you want to highlight skills you gained and responsibilities you had at both that explain skills you acquired more so than "Waited tables" or "Stapled Papers"

leche

Postby leche » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

And Paul, you give me hope. Extra thanks to you.

leche

Postby leche » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Also, is it okay to be more than one page?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”