Is anyone else like...Overly stressed? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Is anyone else like...Overly stressed?

Post by Grizz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
emorystud2010 wrote:If you think your stressed now, wait until 1L exams or waiting to hear back about OCI. Those times will make you yearn for the stress levels you're experiencing right now.
Agreed. Waiting for grades was the absolute worst waiting experience of all time, followed closely by OCI. Waiting for the LSAT was a distant third, and waiting for acceptances a very distant fourth.
+1 except it was more 1L grades >>> OCI >>> Finding out about the journal competition > LSAT > School admissions.

The thing that's bad about 1L grades is that so much depends on them and it feels so uncertain. My OCI and school admissions were knowing that since I had interviewed with X number of firms or applied to X number of schools, my chances were good that I would get at least one that I would be happy with. You don't get that for 1L grades. One grade can potentially tank your 1L GPA, and it's incredibly difficult to compare your exam performance with other students (chances are, you wouldn't want to try anyway). I miss the lighter workload of 1L, but I do not miss the fear.
2nd semester I was a wreck too. I don't think I've had an unhappier/more uncertain/more stressful time in my life than 2nd semester 1L and 2L OCI.

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:40 pm

It gets much worse. After admissions is scholly offers, then waiting for assignments to be posted, then grades, OCI, law review, waiting to find out if you can sit for the bar... Then when you start practice you will be continually waiting on clients, judges, other parties in whatever proceeding you are part of. Law is for the patient.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:21 pm

beezy08 wrote:First it was the LSAT....Now it's the waiting process. I've had nightmares at night... And during the day one moment I'll be smiling and happy until I realize a decision still hasn't been made on my applications yet. :oops: None of my friends will listen to me talk about law school anymore. My boyfriend listens but I can tell he is almost quite fed up with it as well. Sigh. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
I don't think it's normal to have rapid cycling and clear obsessive tendencies over law school applications. Having such dramatic reactions to applications, I think, raises some red flags. Maybe that's based on my experiences, but if things are as bad as your are saying, you may want to go to the counseling center to, at least, learn about stress management. I don't think this will be the most stressful thing to occur in your life, either.

I honestly am not very stressed, and I'm taking the LSAT in December. Stressing the first time around was counterproductive. Whatever happens, happens. Worst case is I don't get into my top school, and I take time off, retake the LSAT, and reapply. I don't think this whole experience should be that stressful, but to each his own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”