Character concern

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
damets7

New

Character concern

Postby damets7 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:14 pm

As I work on my applications I have been frightened by the idea that no schools will take a shot on me. About 2 years ago I was placed deferred suspension for a minor hazing incident. About 6 months later I was arrested on a pot charge but was ultimately expunged after rehab and good behavior. I was hoping someone has knowledge about law school/bar's concern over a minor/silly fraternity incident .. combined with the pot arrest. Also, would writing my personal statement explaining my rehab/growth from such incidents be a good idea? Btw- gpa is 3.3 and 155

DonnaDraper

Bronze

Re: Character concern

Postby DonnaDraper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:31 pm

damets7 wrote:As I work on my applications I have been frightened by the idea that no schools will take a shot on me. About 2 years ago I was placed deferred suspension for a minor hazing incident. About 6 months later I was arrested on a pot charge but was ultimately expunged after rehab and good behavior. I was hoping someone has knowledge about law school/bar's concern over a minor/silly fraternity incident .. combined with the pot arrest. Also, would writing my personal statement explaining my rehab/growth from such incidents be a good idea? Btw- gpa is 3.3 and 155

You have bigger fish to fry than your "character" at the moment. I know it is tough to hear, but retake.

HOPEFORCHANGE

Bronze

Postby HOPEFORCHANGE » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:31 am

I think it is important to emphasize that the OP's incident has nothing to do with character. It would potentially have to do with fitness. Not character.

OP - You're fine with the disclosure. Disclose. Trust me.

However, if you want to get into a school better than 80th ranking or so and you're not a URM, retake the LSAT. It's a few points.

89vision

Bronze

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:46 pm

damets7 wrote: About 6 months later I was arrested on a pot charge but was ultimately expunged after rehab and good behavior.

Did you go to rehab for weed? I didn't think that is the typical course of action for a marijuana related offense. It at least makes me think there was a greater problem. None of the people I know who have gotten charged with marijuana related offenses did a treatment program. Maybe I'm not understanding the context, but based on the description, as a stranger, I thought/think there is something more if you went to rehab. Perhaps that's how it's handled where you're from.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�