Does it make sense to transfer to T2 in major market?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
things fall apart

Does it make sense to transfer to T2 in major market?

Postby things fall apart » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:01 pm

I am currently getting $$$ at a T2 in midsize midwestern city.

I do not want to ultimately live here, but for the right price would do it.
Would it make sense to go to a T2 in Chicago, NY, DC, Cali if I want to be in one of those places or try and work in my local market where the competition is lower and try to move to one of those markets down the line?

If it matters I am an URM so I suppose that helps a bit with employment and thus T2 in a major market wouldnt be as tough as it sounds on the surface.

As for schools somewhere like Fordham, Hastings, American, Loyola Chi for example for the schools I'd transfer into.

My goal really would be to get into a T1 or T14 in a major market, but my LRW grade is low at this point so I want to brace for the worst and hope for the best.

sach1282

Re: Does it make sense to transfer to T2 in major market?

Postby sach1282 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:06 pm

A direct answer to this question relies too much on personal information such as how much money you have, exactly how much you like or dislike your current location, exactly how much you like or your prospective location, prospective scholarship loss and gain, difficulty and work required for transferring, and any and all other reasons you might have for wanting to transfer.

What I can say is this, the general consensus on TLS is that if you're attending a lower ranked school, going to school in the region you want to work will make an enormous difference. Legal hiring is strongly local oriented, and the local schools feed to the local markets.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:59 pm

sach1282 wrote:A direct answer to this question relies too much on personal information such as how much money you have, exactly how much you like or dislike your current location, exactly how much you like or your prospective location, prospective scholarship loss and gain, difficulty and work required for transferring, and any and all other reasons you might have for wanting to transfer.

What I can say is this, the general consensus on TLS is that if you're attending a lower ranked school, going to school in the region you want to work will make an enormous difference. Legal hiring is strongly local oriented, and the local schools feed to the local markets.

I mean I don't want to put all my business on the internet. I never understand why its so hard, people on here make sweeping generalizations about 80% of their posts, why is it so hard to give general advice?

1) Do not have much money, worked for one year out of undergrad did not save much money.
2) Exactly how much do I like/disklike? It's fine for what it is, the people are average, it is cheap to live, and it would be a fine place to raise a family. However I feel like life is too slow, people have a small town mentality (goes with hiring as well), and I dont really I grow as a person being here. So Id say 75% I want to leave but the cheap COL and not much competition in the market
3) Scholarship loss would be big, but if I could be in a bigger market and be employed at that rate I would be willing to cope.
4) Trasnferring would be a b**** but I transferred in undergrad so I'm not overly concerned

5) What else do you need to know? I don't see how relevant this info is, I want to transfer and stated my intentions and I'm wondering from anecdotal experience or otherwise what are the thoughts on here. If anything else is really relevant I'll provide but I dont want to post my resume, personal feelings, and a/s/l on here sheesh.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:18 pm

My point wasn't to try and ask for your information, my point was to provide you with the relevant information to make the decision yourself. You can try to quantify it all, but you're the only one who will be able to make this decision. Based on the way you write, it seems like you want to transfer and you're just looking for people to confirm your decision. If you want to transfer, do it.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:24 pm

You have not even received a single grade yet in any class, right? You are putting the cart before the horse.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm confused. You're a 1L, full-time, in your first semester?

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'm confused. You're a 1L, full-time, in your first semester?

Yes, 1L, first semester, full time. Yes, I fully understand it's early but I am just trying to get my head wrapped around my possibilities.

MrAnon wrote:You have not even received a single grade yet in any class, right? You are putting the cart before the horse.

I have a few LRW grades that are about 40-50% of my grade and am in the 'C' range. I'm not sure what you need to transfer to T2, but I remember seeing to transfer up you need to be in the top 10-25% from a low T2-T3.

sach1282 wrote:My point wasn't to try and ask for your information, my point was to provide you with the relevant information to make the decision yourself. You can try to quantify it all, but you're the only one who will be able to make this decision. Based on the way you write, it seems like you want to transfer and you're just looking for people to confirm your decision. If you want to transfer, do it.

I see, I thought I provided the relevant info, if I knew more of what it was I'd probably have less indecision. And no I am not set on transferring, like I said in my original post I'm getting $$$ and my school has a strong position in the market I'm in.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:14 pm

Mid week bump

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 pm

St. Louis isn't that bad.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:29 pm

things fall apart wrote:I am currently getting $$$ at a T2 in midsize midwestern city.

I do not want to ultimately live here, but for the right price would do it.
Would it make sense to go to a T2 in Chicago, NY, DC, Cali if I want to be in one of those places or try and work in my local market where the competition is lower and try to move to one of those markets down the line?

If it matters I am an URM so I suppose that helps a bit with employment and thus T2 in a major market wouldnt be as tough as it sounds on the surface.

As for schools somewhere like Fordham, Hastings, American, Loyola Chi for example for the schools I'd transfer into.

My goal really would be to get into a T1 or T14 in a major market, but my LRW grade is low at this point so I want to brace for the worst and hope for the best.

I don't know anything about URM options, but here's my thought about what my prospects would be if I were in the same situation:

Basically, this sounds like a bad idea. Go from T2 in St. Louis/Cinci/Cleveland/Indianapolis/Milwaukee to T2 in a major city? Why? To be at the 5th or 6th best school in a market that is probably already supersaturated? You said that you have concerns about the grade. It sounds like you'll probably have to embrace 45k no matter where you go. I would stick it out in the place that I don't like before I would dump the scholarship and volunteer such a high amount of debt.

Again, I'm not URM, so I don't know how that adds to job prospects - I imagine that it could be good or bad.

Besides, out of your list, the only place that I would even consider going is Fordham because you have a sliver of a chance at biglaw with top 30%

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”