Emory or U georgia? George Washington or George Mason Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Emory or U georgia? George Washington or George Mason

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
law4vus wrote:If you do get into GW, you'll get in at sticker. Please don't do that to yourself. I'm regretting it every day.

But I don't think you'll get in. I had the same-ish GPA and a 167 and I had to ride the WL into July. At least I was at one median. Seriously consider a place that will give you more money. GW really isn't worth it.
Plus your law review passes bylaws/rules that make them look like ultimate weaksauce.
'splain?
tl;dr - 1L sends LR people e-mail asking for advice/outlines with creepy personal details. Someone on LR releases to ATL. 1L gets butthurt and GW LR passes a weaksauce rule banning disclosing e-mails sent to GW LR members if they received the e-mail because of their position on GW LR.

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/09/how-1ls- ... etworking/
http://www.thenotabene.org/2011/10/19/l ... isclosure/

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:
law4vus wrote:If you do get into GW, you'll get in at sticker. Please don't do that to yourself. I'm regretting it every day.

But I don't think you'll get in. I had the same-ish GPA and a 167 and I had to ride the WL into July. At least I was at one median. Seriously consider a place that will give you more money. GW really isn't worth it.
Plus your law review passes bylaws/rules that make them look like ultimate weaksauce.
'splain?
tl;dr - 1L sends LR people e-mail asking for advice/outlines with creepy personal details. Someone on LR releases to ATL. 1L gets butthurt and GW LR passes a weaksauce rule banning disclosing e-mails sent to GW LR members if they received the e-mail because of their position on GW LR.

My torts prof went on a rant for like 20 minutes on why this is an awful way to get ahead. And then trashed gunners. lol

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:55 pm

This is what im saying, with lower tuition you dont need a scholly, its as if you half a 50% scholarship guaranteed for all 3 years.
Wow i had no idea that GW median LSAT had jumped from 165 to 167, now i feel like its an impossibility unless this cycle rebounds back down. If your class LSAT median was higher than this years i may stand a better chance...hopefully that 167 will be a one year influx

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

'splain?

I lulzed

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 pm

eandy wrote:George Mason is super stingy with scholly $$.

UGA is NOT equal to Emory. It is really close, but NOT equal. Do you want to work in Georgia? No? Want to work in South Carolina or Florida? No? You should probably go to Emory if one of those two. If not, UGA is fine and maybe the better choice. Want to work in a big firm? Emory might edge out. Public interest? Go to UGA. Trial lawyer? Go to UGA.

I love UGA but it is not for every career goal.
To be fair, if you want to work in Georgia, go to UGA. If you want to work in South Carolina/Florida, then go to UNC/UF. Want to work for a bigfirm in ATL? Good luck from anywhere really. Want to work at a bigfirm generally? Don't go to either - with the numbers to get into Emory, you can get into schools that place much better for bigfirms. I'm not an Emory hater, but I can't really think of a single reason to go there barring massive scholarship money.

And preemptively: oh yes, I mad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 pm

john1990 wrote:

...hopefully that 167 will be a one year influx
It was 167 last year too.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:04 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

'splain?

Am I the only one that thinks the staffer/ATL was pretty fucked up? All the 'personal details' are the 1L just looking at the LR masthead and shooting the staffers some emails. Gunnerish, yes, bad idea, probably. But it doesn't deserve that. This is what's wrong with law students, this hypersensitivity and maliciousness over every little thing.
In the real world an email like that is kinda cute, a little annoying, and would warrant either being ignored, a quick reply, or maybe a real answer regardless, if someone feels helpful. In the law school world? Send it to a blog for public shaming. Grow the fuck up.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:17 pm

Blindmelon wrote:
eandy wrote:George Mason is super stingy with scholly $$.

UGA is NOT equal to Emory. It is really close, but NOT equal. Do you want to work in Georgia? No? Want to work in South Carolina or Florida? No? You should probably go to Emory if one of those two. If not, UGA is fine and maybe the better choice. Want to work in a big firm? Emory might edge out. Public interest? Go to UGA. Trial lawyer? Go to UGA.

I love UGA but it is not for every career goal.
To be fair, if you want to work in Georgia, go to UGA. If you want to work in South Carolina/Florida, then go to UNC/UF. Want to work for a bigfirm in ATL? Good luck from anywhere really. Want to work at a bigfirm generally? Don't go to either - with the numbers to get into Emory, you can get into schools that place much better for bigfirms. I'm not an Emory hater, but I can't really think of a single reason to go there barring massive scholarship money.

And preemptively: oh yes, I mad.
y u mad?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:25 pm

george mason is not in the same class as the other 3 schools. Beyond that its a tossup. Plenty of grads from GW, Emory and Georgia cannot find jobs and go into non law work. In other words they wasted 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:29 pm

MrAnon wrote:george mason is not in the same class as the other 3 schools. Beyond that its a tossup. Plenty of grads from GW, Emory and Georgia cannot find jobs and go into non law work. In other words they wasted 3 years.
Same with plenty of all undergrads...

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Emory's new median LSAT = UGA new median LSAT. Also UGA has higher 25%ile (162 vs. 159...LOL at Emory's bottom of class for what was a T25 two years ago!) and equal 75%ile at 166.

Thinking the gap is closing. ITE + sky-high tuition +shit ton of bad press must have really hurt emory's 2014 class. Impossible for them to compete with GA residents given UGA instate rate, tuition equalizers, and emory's decline in public opinion/usnwr rank. Not to mention their TTT career services.

A 5k scholly in-state at UGA goes further than 75k at emory. You're gonna need top ~10%/LR to land BIGATLANTALAW anyways so why not go to UGA and enjoy lower CoL and better looking women?

If you're going to Emory for its "NYC/DC Placement" you're kidding yourself. As a poster mentioned above, you can probably sneak into one of Fordham/BC/GWU for better shots at those markets. Emory is more attractive to these types of prestige whores who wouldn't stoop to the level of a SPS. Get over yourself and don't go to Atlanta to get to New York. Go to New York to get to New York.

Qualification: Emory is a great school and UGA cannot match their clinics. It can be the right decision, but only at the right price. That place would fall off the map in terms of allure if UGA surpassed them in usnwr (which is unlikely IMO).

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:43 pm

WSJ_Law wrote:Emory's new median LSAT = UGA new median LSAT. Also UGA has higher 25%ile (162 vs. 159...LOL at Emory's bottom of class for what was a T25 two years ago!) and equal 75%ile at 166.

Thinking the gap is closing. ITE + sky-high tuition +shit ton of bad press must have really hurt emory's 2014 class. Impossible for them to compete with GA residents given UGA instate rate, tuition equalizers, and emory's decline in public opinion/usnwr rank. Not to mention their TTT career services.

A 5k scholly in-state at UGA goes further than 75k at emory. You're gonna need top ~10%/LR to land BIGATLANTALAW anyways so why not go to UGA and enjoy lower CoL and better looking women?

If you're going to Emory for its "NYC/DC Placement" you're kidding yourself. As a poster mentioned above, you can probably sneak into one of Fordham/BC/GWU for better shots at those markets. Emory is more attractive to these types of prestige whores who wouldn't stoop to the level of a SPS. Get over yourself and don't go to Atlanta to get to New York. Go to New York to get to New York.

Qualification: Emory is a great school and UGA cannot match their clinics. It can be the right decision, but only at the right price. That place would fall off the map in terms of allure if UGA surpassed them in usnwr (which is unlikely IMO).

What bad press did they get? Also out of state students can get in-state tuition for 2/3 years anyway
But, law schools transparency says that emory places 21% of students in NLJ250, while U georgia only places 11%, which is suprising since georgia state places 13.5 Maybe its because georgia state is actually in atlanta.

Also lawschooltransperancy has Emory with a higher average salary, and a greater percentage of the class reporting (89%)!

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:51 pm

john1990 wrote:
WSJ_Law wrote:Emory's new median LSAT = UGA new median LSAT. Also UGA has higher 25%ile (162 vs. 159...LOL at Emory's bottom of class for what was a T25 two years ago!) and equal 75%ile at 166.

What bad press did they get? Also out of state students can get in-state tuition for 2/3 years anyway
But, law schools transparency says that emory places 21% of students in NLJ250, while U georgia only places 11%, which is suprising since georgia state places 13.5 Maybe its because georgia state is actually in atlanta.

Also lawschooltransperancy has Emory with a higher average salary, and a greater percentage of the class reporting (89%)!
You'll also notice that 11% of UGA grads are going into Article III clerkships, which drives down the school's placement into NLJ250 firms as well as the average salary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:53 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
john1990 wrote:

You'll also notice that 11% of UGA grads are going into Article III clerkships, which drives down the school's placement into NLJ250 firms as well as the average salary.
tyft uga places better into clerkships. 5 scotus clerks in last 6 or so years IIRC

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:56 pm

If which school has more SCOTUS clerks factors in any way into your decision, you're an idiot.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:08 pm

Arguing over which school between Emory, Georgia, and GW is better is like splitting hairs. Ultimately they each have a small number of very successful grads, a good number of grads who go on to okay careers, and a few grads who flame out of the profession. none of them hold a candle to the T14 and firms treat them accordingly.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:15 pm

MrAnon wrote:Arguing over which school between Emory, Georgia, and GW is better is like splitting hairs. Ultimately they each have a small number of very successful grads, a good number of grads who go on to okay careers, and a few grads who flame out of the profession. none of them hold a candle to the T14 and firms treat them accordingly.
GW arguably is much better than the others though, especially in regard to the bolded (if you count GULC as a T14). GW's employment stats for 09 I think were about the same, even perhaps a tad better, than GULC's (granted this is likely entirely due to GW receiving a boost in stats for IP, and GULC being hurt somewhat by the PTers)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:17 pm

MrAnon wrote:Arguing over which school between Emory, Georgia, and GW is better is like splitting hairs. Ultimately they each have a small number of very successful grads, a good number of grads who go on to okay careers, and a few grads who flame out of the profession. none of them hold a candle to the T14 and firms treat them accordingly.
So the consensus is the George Mason is not worth going to despite a ranking of 40 and a median salary of about 130,000 with nearly 70% reporting? I'm surprised, its the only cheap school near DC.
I guess going to American or Catholic is just laughable then?

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:20 pm

NYC Law wrote:
GW arguably is much better than the others though, especially in regard to the bolded (if you count GULC as a T14). GW's employment stats for 09 I think were about the same, even perhaps a tad better, than GULC's (granted this is likely entirely due to GW receiving a boost in stats for IP, and GULC being hurt somewhat by the PTers)
Agreed, i almost included Fordham in this thread, but there is no comparable school in or near NYC that is cheap. Also 166/3.28 is a stretch

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:26 pm

Grizz wrote:If which school has more SCOTUS clerks factors in any way into your decision, you're an idiot.
not an idiot, therefore did not factor scotus clerks into decision.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:34 pm

NYC Law wrote:
I somehow don't believe that, but at the same time, am too lazy to actually look it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

f0bolous wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
I somehow don't believe that, but at the same time, am too lazy to actually look it up.
It would be hard to believe that GW outperformed Georgetown

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Transferthrowaway wrote:

'splain?

(which is impressive!)

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:01 pm

john1990 wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
It would be hard to believe that GW outperformed Georgetown
It varies by what metric you use

NLJ 250 Placement (See http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... slreturn=1)
GW: 24.76%
GULC: 37.58%

Completely unemployed grads (See LST)
GW: 1.6%
GULC: 3.8%

Grads known to be making at least 160k (Can be disputed due to error in those not working full time jobs, see, LST)
GW: 38.34%
GULC: 32.85%

Grads in a full time, bar required job (See, LST)
GW: 79%
GULC: 78.3%

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:15 pm

George Mason is kind of a joke. Don't believe those stats for two seconds. And don't believe that GW is some kind of competition to GULC. Its not. Only a handful of students who attend GW could get into GULC. For the rest it was a dream school. Forget about the IP program; that's just sideshow meaninglessness. The law schools are desperate to make you think they are selling a good product, we all saw it with Illinois. Common sense tells you a lot of these things.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”