Applications rise at Iowa despite drop elsewhere.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Opie

Re: Applications rise at Iowa despite drop elsewhere.

Postby Opie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:56 pm

minnbills wrote:
Opie wrote:While that would be true for most K-JDs, I already have a better job than that in insurance and have good prospects for legal work at my company. If I decide to go for a firm job, my top pick would be Nyemaster Goode. I recognize that my situation isn't typical though. Some of my UG debt is paid already and I owe <100k on my home. I can afford to go smaller than most people here.

Do you have some kind of connection at this firm? Your options (and whether or not you have them in the first place) will be largely dependent on your grades.

I would love to go work for Doresy in Minneapolis, but if I go to UMN and am outside the top 15% or so they won't give me the time of day, let alone an interview, no matter how badly I want to go there.

If you lose your scholly, not only will law school become a much more expensive 3 years, you may not even be competitive for jobs in private practice. That they're putting stips on their schollys implies that they are ok with a chunk of their incoming student body being basically screwed over, which doesn't reflect well on the school at all.

No, I don't have a connection there. I don't mean that I think I can get on there. I mean that that is the largest firm I would take a shot at if I decided to look for firm work. I'd have to be in the top 15%ish of my class for that firm too, which is nice to think about, but not anything worth planning on.

I do have a lot of connection in the insurance business in Des Moines and there are always openings for staff attorneys. The company I work for has 8 positions open now, JD required, $75k+.

I'm not that worried about the cost of Iowa. Even with no scholarship I could afford to go there at my present income. Assuming a $1200 student loan payment, my wife wouldn't have to work if I made $80k. She plans to work, but it would be nice for her to be able to go back to school without working.

My primary concern will be grades really.

Anyway, this is getting quite off topic. My main point was primarily to see if people agreed that misguided folks are picking schools like Iowa for the wrong reasons. I personally don't think most of those people will get in to Iowa since 51% of the class has to have Iowa residency, and they shoot for people who want to be in the area.

tennisking88

Postby tennisking88 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:07 pm

[quote="JamMasterJ" and a lot of schools rig the class so that all the scholly kids are in the same section[/quote]

If true, hilariously unethical. What schools do this?

top30man

Postby top30man » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:09 pm

tennisking88 wrote:[quote="JamMasterJ" and a lot of schools rig the class so that all the scholly kids are in the same section

If true, hilariously unethical. What schools do this?[/quote]
Catholic. Seton Hall I think?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:16 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote: and a lot of schools rig the class so that all the scholly kids are in the same section

If true, hilariously unethical. What schools do this?

No school will admit to it, for obvious reasons, and a comprehensive enough set of data is not available for anybody not an employee of the law school to make a definitive statement. I have heard from some people attending TTTs saying they're convinced there's section-stacking going on. No reputable school section-stacks because a school is instantly a TTT by having scholarship stipulations, and there's no incentive for the school to section-stack without stips.

soj

Postby soj » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Section-stacking is not even a big deal compared to the stips. People with scholarships are not much more likely than people without scholarships to do well in law school (this is apparently a huge 0L myth), so stacking sections merely guarantees what was bound to happen anyway: most scholarship students will lose their scholarships.

It goes the other way, too. If a TTT creates a section made up of only scholarship students, then a certain percentage of those students at the top of the curve are guaranteed to meet the threshold (and thus keep the scholarships), whereas if the TTT spreads them out randomly, the TTT might get lucky and have a smaller percentage of those students meet the threshold.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:09 pm

The school may not even need to section stack. Just give out scholarships with top third stips to half the class. Math!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”