Number of LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jlevin6591

Number of LORs

Postby jlevin6591 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Hey Everyone,

I know that 2 are usually required and that we can submit up to four.

What do people think of submitting three? Is that a waste of time?

My three recommenders would be:
A) Chair of American Studies who I conducted research with
B) English Associate Professor who I have taken two classes with, done research with, and will be doing an honors thesis with
C) Chair of English Department who I have taken an honors seminar with

so_fetch

Re: Number of LORs

Postby so_fetch » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:06 pm

I've gotten the impression that 3 are the norm. I say include them if they will all be strong and if you can get them in a timely fashion. Not worth it waiting for the third and pushing back your submission dates by a month or something. Also i have seen people say in the forums here that you could always use the third one as an add-on later if you get waitlisted or don't hear back for awhile.

I got three, and what I did was I wrote up something for each of them covering "key points" i thought were relevant and that might be helpful to them as they write the recommendation. Nice way of subtly letting them know about things you want them to "cover". This way you can direct each of them and make sure you have 3 different recommendations that don't all say the same thing and that each cover something special about you. For example you research skills can be one thing, your writing skills in an english class is another thing. This will speed it up for them and also provide you with non-generic recommendations that cover the gamut of what you want to convey in your application. When they sit down to write it they will already have a little outline that they can use to frame their letter. Two out of three of my recommenders showed me the letters before sending to LSAC, and I can say my strategy def. worked cause they covered the topics I wanted them to cover but also added their own details and enthusiasm/tone.

And don't worry so much about the requirements. Obviously you want to meet them.. but do not hesitate to exceed the minimum. For example don't send just like 1 rec to NYU. Maybe others disagree but that's my opinion.

northerniowan

Postby northerniowan » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:21 pm

When the Associate Dean of Admissions for the University of Iowa came to talk at my University, he said that sending any more than the required makes them think you are trying to hide something (typically bad numbers). Having said that, I also sent three pretty much everywhere. Just don't send the maximum would be my advice.

citykitty

Postby citykitty » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:26 pm

I solicited 4. I think 3 are strong and 1 is probably just standard. I sent the 2 that I believe to be the strongest, and held back the other believed strong letter for WLs and plan not to use the 4th. Soliciting letters is weird. Some profs you think will really be awesome tend to be really meh and others come out with huge support.

jlevin6591

Postby jlevin6591 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

citykitty wrote:I solicited 4. I think 3 are strong and 1 is probably just standard. I sent the 2 that I believe to be the strongest, and held back the other believed strong letter for WLs and plan not to use the 4th. Soliciting letters is weird. Some profs you think will really be awesome tend to be really meh and others come out with huge support.

Yeah, I think I'll go for three! Thanks everyone!

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:19 pm

I maxed them out for all. If I need another letter for WL's, I'll just get another.

If the schools think I am hiding something, they'll probably find out/already know that I am hiding behind my GPA from undergrad that was 5 years ago. I want my LoR's to show why my GPA doesn't reflect my actual practical potential.

So, I guess maybe it's situationally dependant? When in my case, I want to highlight what I've done since graduation, I hope those LoRs will show that.

beezy08

Postby beezy08 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:19 am

I don't understand why schools would think you're hiding something. You obviously disclose everything that could hurt you, so you may be trying to compensate for something, but you're not "hiding" it.

Strange

Postby Strange » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 pm

I don't think LORs are a big deal. Adcoms probably just glance at them anyways

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”