Advice Needed- Please Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jrthor10

Bronze

Advice Needed- Please

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:07 am

I've found TLS to be helpful in the past, so I am turning to you guys again for some advice....

I took the Oct. lsat and got a 164. I wasn't happy with this because I had been PT'ing in the mid 170's range and froze up on test day halfway through the third LG. That, combined with a unusually poor performance on the RC section, lowered my score far below what I wanted.

Like many other Oct. testers with a poor test, I decided to retake this December. However, I wanted to make sure I covered my bases, and so I applied ED to a school in the 22-27 range. My sister is a double legacy, at a school big on legacy, and I have great softs that I felt spoke specifically to the school (My reported GPA is 3.45). I figured if I get in, great, I'll be happy to go there. And if I don't, I'll be happy I applied just in case my Dec score comes back at or below a 164.

Now, however, I am wondering if that was the right call. I took another PT yesterday and scored a 175 and one last weekend and got a 171. I know, I know, a PT, but I still think I way underperformed on the Oct. test and I am thinking (hoping) I'll at least perform closer to my PT on the December test.

I'm now worried I'll get accepted ED, take the Dec test, do well, and be pissed I am not attending a better school or getting more $$.

Question then is: Should I continue the process with ED and retake, or should I move my application to regular admission/just take it out of consideration?

I realize that is a somewhat involved story, but I'd appreciate any advice anyone has. Thanks

TA923

New

Re: Advice Needed- Please

Post by TA923 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 am

So you applied to Notre Dame?

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 am

TA923 wrote:So you applied to Notre Dame?
Looks like that or BC. Or perhaps Illinois, but I don't know why anyone would do that these days.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:09 am

Those comments are so helpful. Thanks

Opie

Silver

Post by Opie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:40 am

jrthor10 wrote:Those comments are so helpful. Thanks
Sorry, it's early. Honestly I think you should change to RD because I think you can break T30 without it with the 164. I have a 164 and I plan to go to a T30 school (possibly with money). My GPA is only a little higher than yours.

The chances that you'll do worse are small. You should have more familiarity, less nerves, etc. Make sure you go over the questions you missed on the last LSAT, but don't burn yourself out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Any other thoughts??

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Change to RD. ED is for people who would be 100% happy attending the school if they were admitted.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:26 pm

If Notre Dame or BC values legacy as much as you claim, then a 164/3.45 may suffice for RD admission. Since you appear concerned that you might be accepted binding ED, then you should not ED to that law school.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Post by Hopefully2012 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:12 pm

No13baby wrote:Change to RD. ED is for people who would be 100% happy attending the school if they were admitted.
+1 except I don't know if changing from ED to RD would affect your chances at the school. Maybe someone with this type of experience can weigh in...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernaldiaz

Gold

Post by bernaldiaz » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:06 pm

Just to let you know, at Notre Dame legacy is defined as either your mother or father having graduated from Notre Dame. Grandparents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles are not factored in. I am a current Notre Dame undergrad and did a research paper on legacy for a freshman composition class and actually interviewed an admissions officer. Oh, also if your Uncle is a priest in the Holy Cross order you get a big legacy bump (since they couldn't procreate and have their own children). But yeah, they have really limited legacy in the last 20 years or so since people who could claim legacy was just getting too large. So OP, if you are counting on an admissions bump from your Double Domer sis', you may be disappointed.

jrthor10

Bronze

Post by jrthor10 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:12 pm

I'm leaning towards switching, but don't want to do so if it's going to severely hurt me in regular admissions as well. Can anyone speak to switching from ED to RD and any effect it had?

Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”