should i write a DS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rachelwang712

should i write a DS?

Postby rachelwang712 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:21 am

born in China, went to a university in Shanghai and then went to a university in Tokyo for one-year exchange.
The most intriguing part of my experience abroad has been elaborated in my PS.

Should I submit a DS? I am just worried that it will end up like "i did what in what year". My background might be unique but not that unique and I am also concerned that the DS would expose the problem i have with my language ability to a greater extent since it has to be a writing.

FryBreadPower

Re: should i write a DS?

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:29 am

If what makes you interesting was already elaborated on in your PS it sounds like your DS will either have not much to say or be redundant; in either case it makes sense to not write one. However, if you can find some other aspect to your uniqueness it would probably be to your advantage to write a DS.

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:45 am

FryBreadPower wrote:If what makes you interesting was already elaborated on in your PS it sounds like your DS will either have not much to say or be redundant; in either case it makes sense to not write one. However, if you can find some other aspect to your uniqueness it would probably be to your advantage to write a DS.

but the background itself wont add anything right? i mean the point simply because of my background, i could contribute to your diversity wont work?

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:21 am

I was originally going to write about growing up with ADHD, overcoming it, and going off meds in high school, but decided against it because I don't think it has any big effect on my life now (other than never needing coffee because I have an unending supply of internal energy).

Point is, I think a DS needs two things- something unique about yourself, and something that will contribute to your law school. ADHD may be relatively unique, but I don't think it would bring that much to my contributions in law school.

If you have something that fits both criteria and you can write well about it, then include it, imo.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:27 am

American_in_China wrote:ADHD may be relatively unique

lawl.

rachelwang712, don't write a DS if your PS already covers this stuff.

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:32 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
American_in_China wrote:ADHD may be relatively unique

lawl.

rachelwang712, don't write a DS if your PS already covers this stuff.

thx. now i am inclined not to write one. but if i want to add it after i submit the application, say if i were to be WLed and i wanted to add some soft things, would it be accepted and considered?

Opie

Postby Opie » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:00 am

Another thing I've noticed is that students from China in general do not seem to be that unique. I've sat in on a few law classes here in the midwest and all of them had Chinese nationals in them. One had a few. They'll know you're from China from the rest of your app, but I don't think it will affect things much either way.

ETA: I realize this is purely anecdotal, but IMO it seems like there are a fair amount of Chinese nationals in law school lately.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:13 pm

American_in_China wrote:I was originally going to write about growing up with ADHD, overcoming it, and going off meds in high school, but decided against it because I don't think it has any big effect on my life now (other than never needing coffee because I have an unending supply of internal energy).

Point is, I think a DS needs two things- something unique about yourself, and something that will contribute to your law school. ADHD may be relatively unique, but I don't think it would bring that much to my contributions in law school.

If you have something that fits both criteria and you can write well about it, then include it, imo.

ADHD is not unique. I would only write about this topic if you can craft a very compelling narrative somehow.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Sure you can write it, just don't submit it since you have already covered this in your personal statement.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”