for an international student, what is ur recommendation?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rachelwang712

for an international student, what is ur recommendation?

Postby rachelwang712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:35 am

My LSAT is 171. I have not got my GPA report yet but I am guessing it will be between superior and above average.

I did a double degree in Waseda Univ. in Japan and in Fudan Univ. in China.

I know it could be a little tricky but can anyone give me some recommendations on which school to apply for? I mean which would be more "friendly" to international students?

bdubs

Re: for an international student, what is ur recommendation?

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 am

Any school where you are at or above the LSAT median. That would be all of the T14 less Harvard, Yale, NYU, and Columbia. If you're really interested in NYU and Columbia they might still consider you, i'm not really sure what the general stats are for international students since there don't seem to be a large number.

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:50 am

i know Harvard has a certain amount of international students they accept every year, and give funding to. Not sure about Columbia, NYU is pretty international-friendly too. And I just sent an email to Penn asking about specific information for international applicants, and they said "historically" (sigh) international students make up 5-7% of the Penn (JD) law student body. That's probably the average for most schools in the T14. So depending on the school, its 15-25 slots for international students :roll: and everyone else thought they had it bad.

On the bright side, maybe we qualify as URM (do we?), and I think the pool of international applicants is not that wide (is it?)

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:51 am

bdubs wrote:Any school where you are at or above the LSAT median. That would be all of the T14 less Harvard, Yale, NYU, and Columbia. If you're really interested in NYU and Columbia they might still consider you, i'm not really sure what the general stats are for international students since there don't seem to be a large number.

Yes, lack of stats is the problem. I was trying to find some schools that are "willing" to take in foreign students. I know being a foreign applicant esp whose mother tongue is not English can be a disadvantage.

I heard Penn is quite international. Is that true?

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:53 am

tonton wrote:i know Harvard has a certain amount of international students they accept every year, and give funding to. Not sure about Columbia, NYU is pretty international-friendly too. And I just sent an email to Penn asking about specific information for international applicants, and they said "historically" (sigh) international students make up 5-7% of the Penn (JD) law student body. That's probably the average for most schools in the T14. So depending on the school, its 15-25 slots for international students :roll: and everyone else thought they had it bad.

On the bright side, maybe we qualify as URM (do we?), and I think the pool of international applicants is not that wide (is it?)

Unfortunately, I am not URM. Chinese never are. lol.

As to T6-14 tier, i hate to ask but any idea which one would be easier to get in?

avemundi

Postby avemundi » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:24 am

tonton wrote:i know Harvard has a certain amount of international students they accept every year, and give funding to. Not sure about Columbia, NYU is pretty international-friendly too. And I just sent an email to Penn asking about specific information for international applicants, and they said "historically" (sigh) international students make up 5-7% of the Penn (JD) law student body. That's probably the average for most schools in the T14. So depending on the school, its 15-25 slots for international students :roll: and everyone else thought they had it bad.

to be fair, we don't know if the small percentage of internationals is because they just accept few (and reject a lot), or because not that many internationals apply to begin with.

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:38 am

avemundi wrote:

to be fair, we don't know if the small percentage of internationals is because they just accept few (and reject a lot), or because not that many internationals apply to begin with.

I agree, because most international applicants that didn't do undergrad in the states apply for the LLM programmes, but it varies with each cycle.

BKB

Postby BKB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:55 am

Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, GULC, Cornell and UT all took in some Chinese undergrads in recent years (I mean applicants directly from Chinese undergraduate).
So just branket all of them. Solicit fee waivers from UVA and GULC.

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:18 am

BKB wrote:Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, GULC, Cornell and UT all took in some Chinese undergrads in recent years (I mean applicants directly from Chinese undergraduate).

I thought fee waiver only applies to Americans. You mean I can also apply?

rachelwang712

Postby rachelwang712 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:20 am

avemundi wrote:

Yes, that is why I am trying to get a more accurate picture here, just to see if someone happens to know some Chinese who share my situation and succeeded in get in tier one?

BKB

Postby BKB » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 am

I'm from PKU, applying this cycle. Got fee waivers from GULC, Virginia, Vandy, W&M, etc.
I'd say your credentials are pretty impressive among Chinese applicants. No doubt you'll get in some T14.
rachelwang712 wrote:
BKB wrote:Columbia, NYU, Michigan, Penn, GULC, Cornell and UT all took in some Chinese undergrads in recent years (I mean applicants directly from Chinese undergraduate).

I thought fee waiver only applies to Americans. You mean I can also apply?

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:12 am

How how how?? Do you apply for fee waivers, can someone please explain this to me before I bankrupt myself sending in all my applications :)

Justdoingmybest

Postby Justdoingmybest » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:46 am

You can email the schools, just include your LSAC number, GPA and LSAT score. Mention you need a waiver and thank them. They usually reply within 1-7 days. Also if you are registered for CRS on LSAC you should receive unsolicited ones.

tonton

Postby tonton » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:36 am

Justdoingmybest wrote:You can email the schools, just include your LSAC number, GPA and LSAT score. Mention you need a waiver and thank them. They usually reply within 1-7 days. Also if you are registered for CRS on LSAC you should receive unsolicited ones.

:) thank you

AntipodeanPhil

Postby AntipodeanPhil » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:26 am

Definitely apply for Columbia! They took an international with a 171 last year. Columbia is easily the most international-friendly of the T6, based on previous results.

I emailed five schools in the T14 to ask for fee waivers and four of them gave me the waivers. Here was the template I used, if it's any help:

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am very much interested in applying to the JD Program at [university name] and I am writing to ask if could be considered for a merit-based fee waiver. I completed my undergraduate degree overseas, so I do not have an LSAC GPA, and I suspect I will be missed in CRS searches.

My LSAT score is [number] and my foreign transcript was evaluated as "[evaluation]" by LSAC.

Sincerely,

[Name]

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”