Withdraw or Bad Grades, First semester senior year.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
patelam

New

Withdraw or Bad Grades, First semester senior year.

Postby patelam » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:19 pm

Hello,

I have already sent my transcript into LSAC and i have a decently high GPA(3.9) and LSAT (174). I am trying to apply to schools in the top 10. However, I have hit a snafu, I took an easy class, and it has turned out to be a nightmare as the professor and I do not see eye to eye. I received a terrible grade on a midterm exam and now the highest grade i can get overall is a C+. I am thinking of withdrawing from the class and am wondering what option would be best, withdrawing or staying in the class and attempting to pass. It would seem to me like i could explain a bad grade away as an anomaly as I have only received A's in undergrad, but at the same time, a withdraw would make the process easier. I would appreciate any information on which would look worse, a first semester C or a Withdraw and then only 9 credits that first semester. I would hope I would already be admitted and then law schools would only want to know if I was going to graduate which I still will if I withdraw.

Thanks,

Melan

ph14

Gold

Re: Withdraw or Bad Grades, First semester senior year.

Postby ph14 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:19 pm

patelam wrote:Hello,

I have already sent my transcript into LSAC and i have a decently high GPA(3.9) and LSAT (174). I am trying to apply to schools in the top 10. However, I have hit a snafu, I took an easy class, and it has turned out to be a nightmare as the professor and I do not see eye to eye. I received a terrible grade on a midterm exam and now the highest grade i can get overall is a C+. I am thinking of withdrawing from the class and am wondering what option would be best, withdrawing or staying in the class and attempting to pass. It would seem to me like i could explain a bad grade away as an anomaly as I have only received A's in undergrad, but at the same time, a withdraw would make the process easier. I would appreciate any information on which would look worse, a first semester C or a Withdraw and then only 9 credits that first semester. I would hope I would already be admitted and then law schools would only want to know if I was going to graduate which I still will if I withdraw.

Thanks,

Would you still graduate on time if you withdrew? If so, I would.

bp shinners

Gold

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:33 pm

+1 to ph14.

Also, you might consider auditing the class. See if you can switch it to P/F - then, that C+ doesn't seem so bad.

Pato_09

Bronze

Postby Pato_09 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:47 pm

I had a "W" in undergrad and I am pretty sure it did not affect my cycle. W is way better than a C+. I am assuming, however, that you will graduate with the W.

89vision

Bronze

Postby 89vision » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Can you pass/no pass the class? I'm in the same situation, but the best I grade I can get is a B, so I'm pass/failing it.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:20 pm

patelam wrote:Hello,

Thanks,

Melan

WITHDRAW WITHDRAW WITHDRAW.

Schools only care about your GPA in that it helps them with USNWR. As withdraws do not affect usnwr, they wont care.

Withdraw: does nto hurt your credentials (as far as a school's usnwr ranking is concerned)
C+ on a 3.93 GPA: Does hurt your credentials--> they have to take someone with a lower gpa.

Withdraw, withdraw, withdraw.

I had like 2 withdraws, and my cycle still fell in line with what it would have been.

Withdraw, withdraw, withdraw.

law4vus

Silver

Postby law4vus » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Echoing the withdraw. If you don't need the class, get rid of it. Law schools don't care and that C+ could be the difference in getting into HYS.

patelam

New

Postby patelam » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Thank you all for the advice. Withdrew from the class. I appreciate the help.

paul34

Bronze

Postby paul34 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:49 pm

Last edited by paul34 on Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefully2012

Bronze

Postby Hopefully2012 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 am

I had 3 Ws on my transcript and so far it looks like it hasn't affected my cycle much. You made the right call, OP.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�