Previously attended law school, left on good standing...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greengirl11

Previously attended law school, left on good standing...

Postby greengirl11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:51 pm

So, I actually begin attending a low tier 1 school this past August, however I got ill and had to withdraw for medical reasons. I left the law school in good standing and with the eligibility to return.

Since I was forced to leave by reasons beyond my control, I thought I would throw out another round of apps this year (last year I applied in mid-January, but now I was able to get my apps out late October.)

Does the fact that I started at another law school deter my chances during this year's cycle?

bp shinners

Re: Previously attended law school, left on good standing...

Postby bp shinners » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:32 pm

You might want to check with the school at which you were enrolled to see, exactly, what the agreement is between the two of you before you send out apps. They might have a clause in there that could come back to bite you.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 pm

greengirl11 wrote:So, I actually begin attending a low tier 1 school this past August, however I got ill and had to withdraw for medical reasons. I left the law school in good standing and with the eligibility to return.

Since I was forced to leave by reasons beyond my control, I thought I would throw out another round of apps this year (last year I applied in mid-January, but now I was able to get my apps out late October.)

Does the fact that I started at another law school deter my chances during this year's cycle?

I think some schools actually ask whether or not you have previously enrolled at a law school. This might be something you should contact individual schools about, perhaps consider sending an addendum.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Probably not, since you left for medical reasons beyond your control. How long did you attend law school ? Do you have any final grades ?

greengirl11

Postby greengirl11 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:27 pm

I didn't sign anything that said I couldnt apply to other schools. It was just a clean withdraw from enrollment with eligibility to return. It was surprisingly informal.

And I was only taking classes for 2 months, I had no grades. I literally started in late August and withdrew mid-October.

greengirl11

Postby greengirl11 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:29 pm

buckilaw wrote:
greengirl11 wrote:So, I actually begin attending a low tier 1 school this past August, however I got ill and had to withdraw for medical reasons. I left the law school in good standing and with the eligibility to return.

I think some schools actually ask whether or not you have previously enrolled at a law school. This might be something you should contact individual schools about, perhaps consider sending an addendum.

I did add an addendum stating that I attended law school but had to withdraw with Good Standing for medical reasons. I'm just wondering how the admissions committees are going to feel about that, whether it will adversely affect my chances or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”