AAMPLE/Conditional Admittance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Why AAMPLE Addendum?

AAMPLE Addendum
40%
No Addendum
60%

Total votes: 5

lawlaw888

AAMPLE/Conditional Admittance

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi all,

This is my first time posting here although I have been an avid reader of many discussions on this board. I am currently preparing to file applications for law school. For one of the schools, a conditional admittance program is offered. I am assuming that all students are considered for this program, but for a few other schools, the admissions office has stated that it is perfectly fine to indicate your interest in the performance based progam. I tried calling one of the other schools to find out their preference (whether or not it is advisable to indicate your interest in the program) but no one has answered for quite some time. What are your opinions? Would you indicate your interest in such a program through writing or would you simply let the committee form their own opinion based on the material you have provided? I ask this because I'd defenitely take up their offer if they asked me to complete the conditional program, and I'd defenitely attend their program upon successful completion of the courses, and I wanted them to know how interested I am. I know I can always write a Why X statement, but I don't know about writing a Why AAMPLE statement, although I'd qualify for admission to the program in my opinion.

Thoughts and opinions please. Thank you.
Last edited by lawlaw888 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurplePirate

Re: AAMPLE/Conditional Addmittance

Postby PurplePirate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

weak flame

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Actually not a flame. This is a real question and it is a simple question Would you indicate your interest in a schools AAMPLE program? Some schools on my list are reach schools, and the school in question is one of them. If I got accepted to their conditional program I'd attend the school once I did well. I just wanted to know if I would be doing too much if I let them know that. I dont see why nearly everyone who posts on here for the first time should be categorized as a flame for simply asking a question. The question is an honest question I have.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:48 pm

If any school offering an AAMPLE program is a "reach" for you, you should seriously rethink law school. The employment prospects coming out of any of these schools are going to be really, really poor.

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:44 pm

The school I was referring to was Saint John's University (my alma mater).This school offers a summer conditional admittance program. The school has a median LSAT score of 160, and my LSAT score is a 156 with a GPA of 2.98. This makes it a reach for me. You automatically assumed that my LSAT score was so low that I would not be qualified to attend any law school. Fact: Not everyone has a 180 or even a 150. You should reconsider law school. Your assumption is simply ridiculous. Thanks.
Last edited by lawlaw888 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 pm

No school offering AAMPLE is worth spending money on unless you have a guaranteed job after.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:45 pm

No school with an AAMPLE program is worth attending.

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for your input, but I personally believe that St. John's is not a bad school for me to attend.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:50 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:Thanks for your input, but I personally believe that St. John's is not a bad school for me to attend.

Unless you have dreams of doc review, it probably is.

lawlaw888

Re: AAMPLE/Conditional Admittance

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:00 pm

Thank you Grizz for your uneducated and uninformed reponse to my question.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:13 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:Thanks for your input, but I personally believe that St. John's is not a bad school for me to attend.
So you're okay with probably about a 50/50 chance of being unable to find any legal job after graduation (and a good chance of that job, if you are lucky enough to get it, being document review)? Maybe you hadn't noticed, but the economy collapsed, and graduates of lower-ranked law schools are taking the brunt of the effects it had on the legal market. St. John's is not a bottom-tier school, but it's something like the 7th-ranked school feeding into its market (not even counting all the other T14 schools that supply NYC). Hofstra grads are losing out on jobs to Fordham and Cardozo grads, who are losing out to Cornell grads, who are losing out to NYU and Columbia grads...why the hell would anyone hire a St. John's grad?

Grizz is not the one who is uninformed in this thread.

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm

Rinkrat Ratface or whatever you'd like to be called:

Are you assuming that I'd actually practice law? I guess you were speaking about yourself when you stated that someone other than Grizz was uninformed.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:Rinkrat Ratface or whatever you'd like to be called:

Are you assuming that I'd actually practice law? I guess you were speaking about yourself when you stated that someone other than Grizz was uninformed.

Yeah, go to law school and get your JD with no plans to practice law. That sounds totally worthwhile and not stupid at all.

sach1282

Postby sach1282 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:Rinkrat Ratface or whatever you'd like to be called:

Ok...

1) Rinkrat assuming that someone who wants to go to law school wants to be a lawyer is not an unreasonable assumption.

2) Grizz is right, and so is everyone else who told you that you should rethink your options. We're trying to help you, try not to get defensive.

Edited to insert the quote for context.
Last edited by sach1282 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:38 pm

:D rinkrat, I'm just gonna go ahead and call you ratface from now on for funsies :D

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:40 pm

franklyscarlet wrote::D rinkrat, I'm just gonna go ahead and call you ratface from now on for funsies :D
From you, I'll take it as a sign of affection. :wink:

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
franklyscarlet wrote::D rinkrat, I'm just gonna go ahead and call you ratface from now on for funsies :D
From you, I'll take it as a sign of affection. :wink:

Oh ratface, you dastardly flirt.

This is going to be fun.

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Okay maybe I will rethink my options. I'd also urge you all to have others on this board rethink theirs too. I understand that T14 guarantees you a job. But the fact is that half of the people who are applying to law school will not attend HYS... and plenty will not attend a T14. You all seem to be telling me that it's "T14 or bust." I guess all the other law schools out there should close up their schools. :| and half of the people who are applying to schools should stop. I now understand. Thanks guys! :D

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Yep. You're welcome.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:15 pm

My son took advantage of the AAMPLE program and got admitted into a school that wouldn't haven't normally accepted him due to his weak LSAT. For what it's worth, here is my opinion:

1. Most schools that provide AAMPLE admission are not top ranked with maybe the exception of George Mason.
2. For most schools that do have it, the student is invited to participate in the program. It isn't usually something that they apply for. However, maybe St Johns is different
3. The AAMPLE program is VERY, VERY hard. You take two actual law school courses in about 6 grueling weeks. If you get a C+ or better overall average, you get admitted. Depending on the school, the acceptance rate is between 30% -50%. Did I say that the program is very hard?
4. It is expensive, especially for something that provides a 50% chance of admission at best. Even worse, the courses can not count towards law school credit due to ABA regulations. Thus, you take two hard, intensive law school courses, paying almost the normal per credit tuition, with no chance of getting credit for them.

5. It does provide an opportunity for kids to get into schools that they might not have gotten into due to low LSAT or GPA.
6.If you get admitted through AAMPLE, you will have a huge advantage over the other students in that you would have learned to brief cases, prepare outlines. In addtion, you are a proven commodity regarding law school exams. It really does give you a leg up.

If you have any more questions, you can PM me.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:41 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:half of the people who are applying to law school will not attend HYS

You're good with numbers. I recommend accounting as a career.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:42 pm

lawlaw888 wrote:Okay maybe I will rethink my options. I'd also urge you all to have others on this board rethink theirs too. I understand that T14 guarantees you a job. But the fact is that half of the people who are applying to law school will not attend HYS... and plenty will not attend a T14. You all seem to be telling me that it's "T14 or bust." I guess all the other law schools out there should close up their schools. :| and half of the people who are applying to schools should stop. I now understand. Thanks guys! :D

After a certain point, kind of, yes.

top30man

Postby top30man » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:46 pm

Unoriginal flame is unorginal.

But seriously, I agree with the above poster, Mason would be one of the only worthwhile choices with AAMPLE. If kids from Dozo/BLS have to hustle to find real employment, surely it is far worse for St. Johns.

lawlaw888

Postby lawlaw888 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 pm

Taxguy--
Thank you for the info.

Bildungsroman--
Stop. You sound really stupid. No one addressed you or your comments and your snide remarks are not entertaining or helpful. If you aren't going to help at least entertain me.I'd continue but you are not simply not worth it. That is all.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Putting aside the fact that schools that offer AAMPLE are lower ranked, it's a pretty big price to pay for the small possibility of being accepted. And if you're getting in conditionally, it's not likely that you'd be getting scholarships. If money is no issue, that's great. But if it is a problem, why not wait a year and work while studying to retake the LSAT?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”