Former Pre-Med Student Turns to Law - Advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laurencengirard

Former Pre-Med Student Turns to Law - Advice?

Postby laurencengirard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:50 am

Hello,

This is my first time posting. I was a pre-med student up until a week ago which was when I decided that I was fed up with the current laws surrounding our food, medicine and the environment. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me. As a pre-med student, medical schools like it when you do hospital volunteering, research and a boat load of other activities. Is it true that all law schools care about is GPA and LSAT? I am a freshman at Harvard and I am starting a web-based investigative journalism and activism company. If I listed myself as the CEO (which I am) would this be impressive to law schools? In addition, if I am applying to JD\MBA do I need to adopt a different strategy than if I were just applying for JD? Thanks. :mrgreen:

Samara

Re: Former Pre-Med Student Turns to Law - Advice?

Postby Samara » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 am

laurencengirard wrote:Hello,

This is my first time posting. I was a pre-med student up until a week ago which was when I decided that I was fed up with the current laws surrounding our food, medicine and the environment. I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer a few questions for me. As a pre-med student, medical schools like it when you do hospital volunteering, research and a boat load of other activities. Is it true that all law schools care about is GPA and LSAT? I am a freshman at Harvard and I am starting a web-based investigative journalism and activism company. If I listed myself as the CEO (which I am) would this be impressive to law schools? In addition, if I am applying to JD\MBA do I need to adopt a different strategy than if I were just applying for JD? Thanks. :mrgreen:

1. You realize that lawyers don't make the laws, right? If you're fed up (as a UG freshman) with the current laws, you'd get a lot more done by supporting the AMA or Union of Concerned Scientists or food safety groups or whatever.

2. But anyway, yes, GPA and LSAT is pretty much everything. As long as you don't have any glaring deficiencies in your app, volunteering, research and other softs only come into play if you're a borderline candidate.

3. Being the "CEO" of a company you started is just another soft and its impact depends on how big and successful it is. If it's just you, not a big deal. If you grow it into 20 employees or something, it could have a real impact, but it's still mostly about GPA/LSAT.

4. Search for threads on JD/MBA. Most people will tell you its a waste of time and could actually hurt your chances of being employed as a lawyer.

5. You're just a freshman, so focus on your GPA at this point and lurk the forums to soak up what you can.

Good luck!

PurplePirate

Postby PurplePirate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:16 am

So you were pre-med for all of what? Two and a half months?

Edit: Also, this was a waste of my 100th post.

laurencengirard

Postby laurencengirard » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:13 pm

PurplePirate wrote:So you were pre-med for all of what? Two and a half months?

Edit: Also, this was a waste of my 100th post.

I took a gap year and did hospital work and research at boston children's hospital. So I was pre-med for 15 months. Thanks for the input guys.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:14 pm

My best advice: Go Back !

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”