LSAT Addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigeast03

LSAT Addendum?

Postby bigeast03 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 pm

I know it has been hashed over that, for the most part, LSAT addenda can produce more harm than benefit. However, I was wondering if this situation should be included in the times where it could be beneficial. The September before my first LSAT I began being tested for a upper motor neuron disease, and in addition to the physical symptoms I was also dealing with the stress of going back and forth between the hospital and campus. I underwent a series of tests the week immediately prior to the LSAT, and I did not perform to my best ability, getting a 159. Since then, while the symptoms remain, I have gotten much better coping with them. I retook in October and got a 169. Should I include a medical addendum for this?

tennisking88

Re: LSAT Addendum?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:58 pm

bigeast03 wrote:I know it has been hashed over that, for the most part, LSAT addenda can produce more harm than benefit. However, I was wondering if this situation should be included in the times where it could be beneficial. The September before my first LSAT I began being tested for a upper motor neuron disease, and in addition to the physical symptoms I was also dealing with the stress of going back and forth between the hospital and campus. I underwent a series of tests the week immediately prior to the LSAT, and I did not perform to my best ability, getting a 159. Since then, while the symptoms remain, I have gotten much better coping with them. I retook in October and got a 169. Should I include a medical addendum for this?

I don't see a pressing need for an addendum here. If you went 169 to 159, then absolutely, but if you improved, I don't think you need to explain yourself. If you want to highlight that you overcame illness to perform well on the test, that's one thing, and you could probably try to fit it into your PS, but don't feel like you NEED to explain this jump.

crabcakes

Re: LSAT Addendum?

Postby crabcakes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:04 pm

bigeast03 wrote:I know it has been hashed over that, for the most part, LSAT addenda can produce more harm than benefit. However, I was wondering if this situation should be included in the times where it could be beneficial. The September before my first LSAT I began being tested for a upper motor neuron disease, and in addition to the physical symptoms I was also dealing with the stress of going back and forth between the hospital and campus. I underwent a series of tests the week immediately prior to the LSAT, and I did not perform to my best ability, getting a 159. Since then, while the symptoms remain, I have gotten much better coping with them. I retook in October and got a 169. Should I include a medical addendum for this?

include an lsat addendum for schools that specifically ask for or strongly recommend including one, especially since you have a legitimate excuse.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”