Ugh...Do I have to disclose this? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dream Machine

Bronze

Ugh...Do I have to disclose this?

Post by Dream Machine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:53 pm

Last edited by Dream Machine on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

clseller

New

Re: Ugh...Do I have to disclose this?

Post by clseller » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:55 pm

this thread is on fire

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:57 pm

No, you do not have to disclose the disciplinary record of your college roommate.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Dream Machine wrote:Okay, so freshman year, while I was out of town, my roomate had a party with underaged drinking and loud music. An RA caught him and I received a letter informing me of the charges. My roomate informed the Deans Office that I was neither present nor involved in any capacity. I never had to meet anyone and there were no consequences, and i received a letter that declared I was not responsible for the charges or incident. It did not proceed any further and the records have since been expunged. I know that when in doubt, you should just disclose, but I can't help but feel all of this is a little unfair given how hard I've worked. And then again, when is life fair? Ths has been the only incident related to discipline/character or fitness since then.

Am I basically screwed?
Not really. I can't quite say if you should disclose or not, probably depends on the language of the application.

But we're talking about underage drinking, not RICO violations. I really wouldn't sweat it.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:59 pm

Nope. You do not need to disclose.

It's possible your name may come up when C&F does its thing but since you were not charged with anything or given any sanctions you are A-okay.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dream Machine

Bronze

Post by Dream Machine » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:00 pm

ahduth wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:Okay, so freshman year, while I was out of town, my roomate had a party with underaged drinking and loud music. An RA caught him and I received a letter informing me of the charges. My roomate informed the Deans Office that I was neither present nor involved in any capacity. I never had to meet anyone and there were no consequences, and i received a letter that declared I was not responsible for the charges or incident. It did not proceed any further and the records have since been expunged. I know that when in doubt, you should just disclose, but I can't help but feel all of this is a little unfair given how hard I've worked. And then again, when is life fair? Ths has been the only incident related to discipline/character or fitness since then.

Am I basically screwed?
Not really. I can't quite say if you should disclose or not, probably depends on the language of the application.

But we're talking about underage drinking, not RICO violations. I really wouldn't sweat it.
Yah you have pretty much hit on the crux of the issue, the language of course.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:05 pm

Dream Machine wrote: Yah you have pretty much hit on the crux of the issue, the language of course.
I don't understand why you think there is ambiguity here... am I missing something?

You were never implicated, no charges were brought against you, and you were never issued a sanction. After all, you were out of town when it happened.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:23 pm

minnbills wrote:
Dream Machine wrote: Yah you have pretty much hit on the crux of the issue, the language of course.
I don't understand why you think there is ambiguity here... am I missing something?

You were never implicated, no charges were brought against you, and you were never issued a sanction. After all, you were out of town when it happened.
They did have something expunged from their record, however. So something of a disciplinary nature hit their record, even if they weren't implicated. The fact that it was something so trivial might be an argument in favor of disclosure rather than against, given that it in no way reflects poorly on the candidate. But I'd only do it if the language of the application demanded disclosure.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:26 pm

OP's post is unclear as to whether or not the letter detailing charges named him as a defendant. He may have been notified as a potential witness.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”