Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:57 am

Soo I have a 167 / 3.44 gpa..... my original list consisted of:

George Washington
UNC
ND
Ohio St
Pitt
Texas
Vandy
WUSL

Of these I got application fees for Pitt, WUSL, and Ohio State

After going through all my unsolicitied fee waivers, I decided to apply to these schools that gave them to me, but I felt I still might be interested in:
W&M
Wash & Lee
Cardoza
WF
Washington
Temple
Minn.
Seton Hall
Case Western

So eventually I ended up with 17 applications (but had fee waivers for 12 of these)
My app total STILl comes up to $612

Now I have mixed emotions, obviously when it comes to my career / life earning $612 will end up not being significant, so if it is necessary.. I'm fine with it. If it is not though I don't want to waste $. Any of those you think I should cut out (My primary motive is to eventually make as much $ as possible)?

User avatar
franklyscarlet
Posts: 2914
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:16 pm

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby franklyscarlet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:02 pm

Don't apply to any school you wouldn't be happy to go to. Other than that, it's worth the money.

ETA: having read more carefully, there are definitely schools on this list where job prospects are bleak. I would do a little research on those unsolicited schools.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:05 pm

franklyscarlet wrote:Don't apply to any school you wouldn't be happy to go to. Other than that, it's worth the money.

Yea I researched all of these schools and I could really picturing me attending them / had decent job prospects accord to Law School Transparency (based on my numbers). I don't think I can TRULY make a decision until I visit a couple, but obviously I'm waiting until I get my acceptances / rejections / can narrow it down to 2 or 3 (can't fly all across the country)

Only one I'm debating I might not want to go to really is Washington just because its completely opposite side of country for me, but I might if some of my other ones don't pan out.. idk

Its just that is a ton of $ for me lol

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 pm

If you have no money with which to apply, you can ask schools for a need-based waiver. Doesn't hurt.

I don't think you have much of a shot at Vandy. I also don't think Pitt is a good school, unless you really want to stay in Pittsburgh. Same goes for OH St/UNC and pretty much all the schools below (other than maybe WM) - even though they're good schools, they place predominantly within their region. Make sure you'd actually want to live in those states.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:20 pm

tennisking88 wrote:If you have no money with which to apply, you can ask schools for a need-based waiver. Doesn't hurt.

I don't think you have much of a shot at Vandy. I also don't think Pitt is a good school, unless you really want to stay in Pittsburgh. Same goes for OH St/UNC and pretty much all the schools below (other than maybe WM) - even though they're good schools, they place predominantly within their region. Make sure you'd actually want to live in those states.

Pitt is actually a prime candidate for me (due to instate tuition /probably a scholly / can stay in Pittsburgh which is a city I enjoy a lot), but all of that depends on where else I get in...

With my numbers I can take a shot at a couple schools with semi-ok national range, but a high chance I might have to go to a good regional school. All of the schools are places I THINK i wouldn't mind living in, but I'm not 100% sure (which comes to me eventually visiting a couple places once I find out who accepts me).

Vandy / Texas were originally my "reach" schools... do you think these are too unrealistic / I should probably just cut out? (This would cut out $152 since they are 2 of the 5 didn't give me an app waiver).

However, Texas would probably be my no.1 school with Vandy probably being no. 3 (GW is probably number 2)

If they're completely unrealistic I'll cut them out though...

edit: Most of the 5 that didn't grant me a fee waiver responded with a "only do merit based through CRS and if you wish to apply for need-based fill out these forms... In which case I wouldn't qualify due to being a dependent, but I'm the one actually paying for these and it'll actually be quite hard for me (although like I stated before I could manage it)

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:59 pm

You'll have a tough time getting into Texas with that GPA. Texas schools love GPAs for some stupid reason.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:05 pm

NiccoloA wrote:You'll have a tough time getting into Texas with that GPA. Texas schools love GPAs for some stupid reason.


+1. Also an in-state quota. No damage in applying though. If you wanna stay in Pitt, you should get a hell of a scholarship from Pitt and go. You may get into GW, but you prob will not get aid and you don't wanna pay full sticker price for GW.

User avatar
NiccoloA
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:46 pm

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby NiccoloA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:07 pm

If you live on the west coast, can you go to a California school? USC might take you. Forget the UC's worth going to though. Berkley and LA are also GPA whores - for what reason, again, I do not know.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:10 pm

NiccoloA wrote:If you live on the west coast, can you go to a California school? USC might take you. Forget the UC's worth going to though. Berkley and LA are also GPA whores - for what reason, again, I do not know.


He implied earlier that he lived in Pittsburgh

weatherswaysme
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby weatherswaysme » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:12 pm

Hard to get into UNC unless you are in-state. I think they have around 70-75% from in-state each year, but if you really want to go there then I guess its worth the app

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:15 pm

weatherswaysme wrote:Hard to get into UNC unless you are in-state. I think they have around 70-75% from in-state each year, but if you really want to go there then I guess its worth the app


Yep. They also don't have much national presence. Mostly regional w/in NC. Also a retartedly high $75 app. fee.

User avatar
Angrygeopolitically
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby Angrygeopolitically » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:16 pm

Get a job. :mrgreen:

Email and ask. You need to aim a tad higher.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Holy APPLICATION FEES, Advice?

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:31 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
NiccoloA wrote:You'll have a tough time getting into Texas with that GPA. Texas schools love GPAs for some stupid reason.


+1. Also an in-state quota. No damage in applying though. If you wanna stay in Pitt, you should get a hell of a scholarship from Pitt and go. You may get into GW, but you prob will not get aid and you don't wanna pay full sticker price for GW.

So you would rank sticker at GW < scholly at Pitt?

I figured GW would open up more opportunity for big law
Also an added benefeit (I know this is one I can't count on at all so it is just a footnote), would be that if I did well at GW I could probably transfer into a T14




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests