Alabama

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
EMZE

Alabama

Postby EMZE » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:18 am

Last edited by EMZE on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

beezy08

Re: Alabama

Postby beezy08 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:29 am

You will essentially be paying $16 for the iTunes downloads because of the report fee, and possibly taking a spot away from someone that wants to go there. So I vote no.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 am

No, especially since you are a graduate of the USMA at West Point & have strong numbers and, therefore, you are likely to be admitted which might deny a serious applicant a chance at their target school.

ccmbr006

Postby ccmbr006 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:48 am

If they didn't want random people applying, they wouldn't give away free music. They have a wait list for a reason; don't feel bad.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

You're spending $16 to get $20 in iTunes gift cards. If you have no intention of attending, I wouldn't apply, but that's because I figure it takes about 30 minutes per school to apply and I value my time > $8/hr (plus it's restricting the utility of your money to just iTunes, which should be factored in the calculus) But if there's an outside shot you'd consider Bama, go ahead. I had a great experience there - engaging faculty and staff and great town (though I was there before the damage). IIRC, they're pretty generous with scholly money for those that crush their medians and their stips are pretty reasonable (and in some cases may be stip-free)

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Yea, I saw that too... Idk I'm shocked a school would do that just to get an application. Is really downgrading to their school imo

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:06 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Yea, I saw that too... Idk I'm shocked a school would do that just to get an application. Is really downgrading to their school imo

Same thing was said last year. I think the idea behind it is "look, we can make a strong case for why Bama is a great choice for you once we get you here." FWIW, they provide a pretty compelling case - low tuition, being the biggest game in the state, strong alumni network, engaging faculty. It's the classic strong regional and people who aren't from the Alabama region may not have ever thought of applying. They get their share of folks who had offers from t14. I really don't understand the thought process that would view this as a negative. I'll tell ya' what though - you'll never experience candidate care at other schools like you do at Bama.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:22 pm

I applied with the same mindset as OP, except that there was a >0 chance that I would go on a full ride. My LSAC fee was only $12 though. And yeah, that's what the waitlist is for. Turns out I would have seriously considered a full ride based on the way my cycle went. You never know, and they want you to apply. Just do it.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Wow, just looked at OP's #s. You may not be considering it now, but you very well may be willing to take a full ride there later, if you even get one. Absolutely apply.

EMZE

Postby EMZE » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

ouch. that hurt.

I wouldn't go there because I would never live/seek employment in the South. Don't get me wrong, I love the people and think they are great, but everything else about the South I don't like.

ralph_pootawn

Postby ralph_pootawn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:45 pm

TommyK wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Yea, I saw that too... Idk I'm shocked a school would do that just to get an application. Is really downgrading to their school imo

Same thing was said last year. I think the idea behind it is "look, we can make a strong case for why Bama is a great choice for you once we get you here." FWIW, they provide a pretty compelling case - low tuition, being the biggest game in the state, strong alumni network, engaging faculty. It's the classic strong regional and people who aren't from the Alabama region may not have ever thought of applying. They get their share of folks who had offers from t14. I really don't understand the thought process that would view this as a negative. I'll tell ya' what though - you'll never experience candidate care at other schools like you do at Bama.

I second that notion. The people on the admissions committee I have talked to have all been first class and extremely helpful

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:25 pm

Alabama has the whole "we will be super nice and informative in the hope of attracting people who have no preference where they want to go"

If I would have gotten a scholarship I would have look at Alabama. No idea why schools arent copying their approach.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”