Help me decide where to ED

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Help me decide where to ED

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:22 pm

3.43 GPA 161 LSAT Mexican-American URM

I'm planning on retaking lsat in DEC, but I want to apply to like 2-3 schools for now and also take advantage of the ED.

So with those numbers, what's the best possible school that I have a shot at getting in with the ED, without completely wasting the ED(obviously not applying to Harvard)

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Where do you want to practice?

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby paulshortys10 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:39 pm

minnbills wrote:Where do you want to practice?


California, but I'll go to the best school that let's me in..

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby minnbills » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 pm

I think, barring a big increase in your LSAT, you should play the regional game. That is, don't go somewhere you don't have ties/don't want to spend your career.

My knowledge of Californian schools is really poor but since you're only sending out a few apps, I would say: Davis, Hastings, one other you think you'll be able to reach after December.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Grizz » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Where do you want to practice?


California, but I'll go to the best school that let's me in..

Legal hiring doesn't work that way usually. Go to a CA school.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:01 am

Grizz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Where do you want to practice?


California, but I'll go to the best school that let's me in..

Legal hiring doesn't work that way usually. Go to a CA school.



Well unless you go to a t-20 or so no?

I'm sure someone from Cornell can do better in an interview than someone from Davis in Cali, no?

Curious1
Posts: 964
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Curious1 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
minnbills wrote:Where do you want to practice?


California, but I'll go to the best school that let's me in..

Legal hiring doesn't work that way usually. Go to a CA school.



Well unless you go to a t-20 or so no?

I'm sure someone from Cornell can do better in an interview than someone from Davis in Cali, no?


Yes, but you can't get into Cornell right now.

Davis, Hasting, UCLA, USC are your best bets.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:33 am

[/quote]

Yes, but you can't get into Cornell right now.

Davis, Hasting, UCLA, USC are your best bets.[/quote]

So then you suggest EDing at UCLA?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:38 am

paulshortys10 wrote:
So then you suggest EDing at UCLA?

I wouldn't suggest sticker at UCLA, even in-state.

User avatar
paulshortys10
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby paulshortys10 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:52 pm

Grizz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
So then you suggest EDing at UCLA?

I wouldn't suggest sticker at UCLA, even in-state.


what do guys think my chances are at UT if I ED. It seems besides LSAT/GPA they also consider other things such as diversity/overcoming economic hardships/Language proficiency, which all seem to give my personal situation a boost

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 pm

paulshortys10 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
paulshortys10 wrote:
So then you suggest EDing at UCLA?

I wouldn't suggest sticker at UCLA, even in-state.


what do guys think my chances are at UT if I ED. It seems besides LSAT/GPA they also consider other things such as diversity/overcoming economic hardships/Language proficiency, which all seem to give my personal situation a boost

I wouldn't suggest Texas at sticker either. Also, the deadline is tomorrow.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby top30man » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 pm

I wouldn't suggest Texas at sticker either. Also, the deadline is tomorrow.

It is nonbinding, however. Not a bad idea, but be prepared to stay in Texas. I wouldnt ED UCLA. Id apply RD to UCLA, USC, Davis etc and see what happens. URM cycles are very unpredictable.

tennisking88
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby tennisking88 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:19 pm

top30man wrote:
be prepared to stay in Texas


Not necessarily. UT has nationwide reach

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm

tennisking88 wrote:
top30man wrote:
be prepared to stay in Texas


Not necessarily. UT has nationwide reach


UT can probably get back to wherever you're from or have ties to plus DC and NYC if you have high grades, but national reach is largely a myth.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Grizz » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:27 pm

top30man wrote:
I wouldn't suggest Texas at sticker either. Also, the deadline is tomorrow.

It is nonbinding, however. Not a bad idea, but be prepared to stay in Texas. I wouldnt ED UCLA. Id apply RD to UCLA, USC, Davis etc and see what happens. URM cycles are very unpredictable.

Oh didn't see that nonbinding thing.

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Help me decide where to ED

Postby Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:37 pm

Apply to Cornell (non-binding Early Action) and see what happens. In addition to whatever you're thinking of course.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 7 guests