Wait a year?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
airbear1012
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Wait a year?

Postby airbear1012 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:40 pm

I am still in undergrad with a 3.74 GPA. I took the LSAT twice: in June I got a 159 and in October I got a 166. I still think that I can do better on the LSAT but cannot take it in December; I'm barely surviving this semester as it is.

I want to work in either juvenile or immigration law. I would prefer to live in the Midwest or Northeast but otherwise I'm not picky. I am not willing to accrue a lot of debt seeing as how it will be impossible to pay back.

My question is, do you think I should try to do better on the LSAT and reapply or just take the best scholarship offer I get? I am an English Writing/Anthropology major so there aren't many job options for me....

Thanks for your help!

American_in_China
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:19 pm

Re: Wait a year?

Postby American_in_China » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Retake in June or October, spend a year teaching English abroad.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Wait a year?

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:18 pm

Hmm ... I can think of good reasons both for applying now and for waiting a year. I guess my question is - why do you have reason to believe that you will score above 166, if you were to retake a second time?

I will say this - if all your LORs and LSAC stuff is ready to send at this very moment, your BEST outcome is probably a 1/2 scholarship at a school ranked between 20-30.

airbear1012
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:23 pm

Re: Wait a year?

Postby airbear1012 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm

tttlllsss wrote:Hmm ... I can think of good reasons both for applying now and for waiting a year. I guess my question is - why do you have reason to believe that you will score above 166, if you were to retake a second time?

I will say this - if all your LORs and LSAC stuff is ready to send at this very moment, your BEST outcome is probably a 1/2 scholarship at a school ranked between 20-30.


I feel like I had only begun really improving a few weeks before the October test. I've already applied to BC, W&M, W&L, Indiana, Cardozo... Any of which I would be happy to attend.

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: Wait a year?

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:30 am

You should ask this question again in late-March/early-April.

My best guess is ~1/2-rides at W&M, W&M, and Dozo, 1/4-ride at BC, and a possible full-ride at IU*. But I would look long & hard at IU before taking the cash

* Edit: Assuming you get into all of these, of course




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0LawSchool and 7 guests